The Student Room Group

Should one be payed for doing home chores AND office work for family

Basically

I am going to work say 8/10 hours a week for my dad who is a self employed solicitor. I will be doing filing, organising and typing. How much would you expect to get per hour to do this? Would you expect to be payed less because you are family, or the same as anyone else would ask? just curious...

I also hope to get another part time job in retail. (No family connections)

I also do ironing for my mother. How much would you expect to be paid for this (per hour) and again should it make a difference if you are or arent family? I don't just iron my own clothes I do the whole families!

By the way, I don't get pocket money which is why I am willing to do chores etc on the basis that I get payed.

Also, if I am to do office work for my dad, should I not be paid to do ironing for my mum? This is a debate I am having with my friend. I am a hard worker and will always do any job to the best of my ability. I file everything in alphabetical order and when it comes to ironing I ensure every single crease visible no matter how small, is gone. My policy is work hard and you deserve pay. Should I be sacrificing money because I am working for family? My friend seems to think I shouldn't be payed to iron as well if I am already doing office work for my dad. She thinks that by being paid I am learning that everything I do should get a reward which according to her isn't how life works.

But if my mum was to employ an ironer or if my dad was to employ someone who could type and someone who would organise his office, he would pay them. I want to learn about real life and I want to be treated exactly like any other employer would. Is this wrong? I know my dad won't be charging as much as secretaries etc ask, and I am ok with that since I am not properly trained. But is my friend in the right or wrong?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know people who would be paid to do household chores but to be perfectly honest, I don't really think it's fair to demand payment for chores like ironing. It's great that you put a lot of care into it but your parents do so much for you as it is, I really think doing it for free is fair enough. It's a family, not a business - you can do things just to be nice rather than expecting payment.

For your dad, that is business. So it's fair enough that you're paid for it. I'm not sure how much you should ask but I know that I'd feel pretty guilty accepting anything more than something like £4/hour or something.
I don't get pocket money so my mum offers to pay me for doing the ironing lol :smile: should I just do it for free?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anything, I was paid more when I worked for my dad because I was family :smug:

Also, I'd get 50p per shirt ironed.

Make em cough up.
Your old man's business, yes, ironing, no.

You've had clothes ironed for you since the dawn of time. In the reverse situation you should not expect remuneration.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PecurringRattern
If anything, I was paid more when I worked for my dad because I was family :smug:

Also, I'd get 50p per shirt ironed.

Make em cough up.

Probably do about 20 items per day and I think my mum said £1 per item..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say maybe for your dad's office you should get paid, that's fair enough as it's not something that you would have to do normally. However things such as ironing etc I wouldn't get paid. It's just helping run the home you are all a part of. So if you're doing the ironing then it means another sibling does something else etc. As soon as I hit 15/16 I was told if you want your clothes washed and ironed do them yourself. As no one is going to pay you to do your own ironing when you're older.
Original post by flutterby-x303
Probably do about 20 items per day and I think my mum said £1 per item..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a good deal.
Original post by lyrical_lie
I would say maybe for your dad's office you should get paid, that's fair enough as it's not something that you would have to do normally. However things such as ironing etc I wouldn't get paid. It's just helping run the home you are all a part of. So if you're doing the ironing then it means another sibling does something else etc. As soon as I hit 15/16 I was told if you want your clothes washed and ironed do them yourself. As no one is going to pay you to do your own ironing when you're older.

Aah my brothers never do chores! Plus I don't just iron my own clothes I do the whole families clothes

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I was younger, I used to get £10 a week pocket money, but I actually asked whether I'd be able to do something to earn it instead of just getting it. So I'd do jobs and get paid certain amounts for each job, Mum would keep a note of how much I'd done and then pay me at the end of the week. It worked out well for her because if I was saving up for something I'd spend a lot of my time doing things like cleaning, ironing etc which meant she didn't have to do it, and it meant I wasn't just taking money off them for nothing anymore. If you don't get pocket money then doing jobs is a good alternative.

With regards to helping your dad out, if it's a formal arrangement that you do a certain number of hours per week, I would certainly expect payment of at least minimum wage for it.
Sounds like your dad is using you for free labour. If you wouldn't do it, he'd have to get a legal secretary to do it.

If he's willing to let you go into the office and work there, then do that. Good for the CV.

Household chores come with the territory in my opinion, though.
Aah my brothers never do chores! Plus I don't just iron my own clothes I do the whole families clothes

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I'm assuming your mum also washes and dries not just her clothes but yours too?
I think children should be paid when regularly assisting in the business of their parents when the work they produce is of the level of a regular, paid employee.

When it comes to helping around the home, probably not*. I imagine that while you do the ironing, other chores are done by other members of the household. Though if you did all the chores and your parents did nothing, then a case might be made for getting an incentive to do certain duties.

*I think there are certain exceptions like babysitting.
I thought pocket money was only given if you do chores? Is that not correct? Yeah my mum does loads round the house she is obsessed with cleaning! I would do more but she is very particular about how things are done...

My dad doesn't like paying people lol he is very tight and the problem with working for him is that he won't always pay me regularly unless some kind of direct debit is sorted out..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe I should do even more around the house ie vacuuming and still be payed the same as if I was just doing ironing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Baby Milo
How often are you doing this?

If you're getting £1 x 20 items per day thats £20 for ironing alone.

If you work for your dad for 2 hours per day at £5 per hour thats £10.

You will be on £30 per day or £150 per week.

If I were you I'd state that to them and then say you'd take £75-100 per week to do the lot.

They are family but you need money to spend or save, your dad will be saving money and your mum will be saving time. Its a win-win situation for you all.

That's true it would be different if I was working for someone else. Because with family it all comes out of the same pot!

I don't iron every day maybe like twice a week?

If I work for my dad it will be three hours a day...

Posted from TSR Mobile
But my friend gets pocket money for doing chores like I do. So she shouldn't really say I shouldn't get paid 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

I also do ironing for my mother. How much would you expect to be paid for this (per hour) and again should it make a difference if you are or arent family? I don't just iron my own clothes I do the whole families!

Is this a joke? Did your mum expect to be paid or did anyone pay her when she ironed for the whole family when you were young?
Original post by HAnwar
Is this a joke? Did your mum expect to be paid or did anyone pay her when she ironed for the whole family when you were young?

I have no idea but pocket money has been around for ages. I know plenty of people who get pocket money, do you? I don't think people should be payed for doing nothing likewise I don't think people should do lots around the house and not expect to get at least some money for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting paid for helping your dad could get quite tricky. If you are officially employed by him, he will need to pay you minimum wage and keep track of all your hours. He would also need to register you with the HMRC. I used to do my mum's business accounts when I lived at home, and she had to do all that. I think there was an advantage for her to put me down as an official employee, but I can't remember what it was now. If he went down that route, I would get it in writing how much he is going to pay you per hour.

As for the ironing, I wouldn't expect to be paid for that. It is part of you living with your parents - you do chores around the house. If you aren't careful, they could ask you to start contributing more (either financially or by doing chores), so just accept that you do ironing to help out. I stopped earning pocket money once I was 16 as I worked part time and did babysitting on the side.

Quick Reply

Latest