The Student Room Group

Temporary & Part-Time Christmas Jobs 2014

Hi everyone,
I'm just starting up a new thread to talk about 2014 Christmas part-time and temp jobs.

Use this thread to:

Chat about job hunting

Challenges

Success

Tips n tricks

Wishing each other luck

Talking about the job itself and how it's going.

Jack
p.s. I'm quoting in people from the 2013 thread in case you would like to share your experiences from last year :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've seen a lot of shops advertising that they are taking on Xmas temps recently, I think the best time to apply for one is around now as shops need extra staff for the beggining of December. Personally, I got a Xmas temp job at m&s through applying online, the process was really quick and easy and their website is updated every 30 minuites so make sure to check there every so often if you are thinking of applying!
I'm applying for a temp job for the moment.

Think an admin role is what i'm looking to do for now. Anything office based and use that experience to become a recruitment consultant. I'm not getting into retail at all unless it's manager or head office and I'm nowhere near that level yet.
From last year's experience of looking for christmas jobs, the best places to apply (seem to have loads of christmas jobs each year) were:
M&S (online application)
Next (online application)
Debanhams (online application)
River Island (online application)
Topshop/man (and other arcadia group shops, such as bhs and dorothy perkins) (apply in store)
Boots (online application)
John Lewis (online application)
B&Q (online application)
Halfords (online application)

I currently work in Dorothy perkins and have for about 8 months now and know that we've just hired loads christmas temps.

Check websites of the places you're looking to apply to, if they don't have an online application process, take a CV and cover letter into the business itself. Try to include your availability on it somewhere (even if you write it on the back of your CV - they appreciate it). This could be different in other places, this is just from my past job experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Another year. Another failure to get a part time job.

The only thing ive got so far is a week temp role at next and that was 2 years ago.

Think this is the best ill get.
https://www.unitemps.com/Search/JobDetails/3024

Its basically slave labour but i really need the money.
Original post by ex-plore
I've seen a lot of shops advertising that they are taking on Xmas temps recently, I think the best time to apply for one is around now as shops need extra staff for the beggining of December. Personally, I got a Xmas temp job at m&s through applying online, the process was really quick and easy and their website is updated every 30 minuites so make sure to check there every so often if you are thinking of applying!

Great advice, now is definitely the time to get in there!

Original post by jam277
I'm applying for a temp job for the moment.

Think an admin role is what i'm looking to do for now. Anything office based and use that experience to become a recruitment consultant. I'm not getting into retail at all unless it's manager or head office and I'm nowhere near that level yet.

Good luck, I love office jobs, they're fun :biggrin:

Original post by abbalarr95
From last year's experience of looking for christmas jobs, the best places to apply (seem to have loads of christmas jobs each year) were:
M&S (online application)
Next (online application)
Debanhams (online application)
River Island (online application)
Topshop/man (and other arcadia group shops, such as bhs and dorothy perkins) (apply in store)
Boots (online application)
John Lewis (online application)
B&Q (online application)
Halfords (online application)

I currently work in Dorothy perkins and have for about 8 months now and know that we've just hired loads christmas temps.

Check websites of the places you're looking to apply to, if they don't have an online application process, take a CV and cover letter into the business itself. Try to include your availability on it somewhere (even if you write it on the back of your CV - they appreciate it). This could be different in other places, this is just from my past job experience.

Great advice, thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 6
Would I be able to get job although I'm 15..? I'll be turning 16 in about 4 months though :3

And don't you get your NI number a couple of months before you turn 16?
Reply 7
Original post by Cherx
Would I be able to get job although I'm 15..? I'll be turning 16 in about 4 months though :3

And don't you get your NI number a couple of months before you turn 16?

You should be able to apply for jobs as soon as you get your NI number, however retail shops may not take on people until they are actually 16. It really depends on where you apply, I would still give it a bash!
Reply 8
Original post by CSM1996
You should be able to apply for jobs as soon as you get your NI number, however retail shops may not take on people until they are actually 16. It really depends on where you apply, I would still give it a bash!

Do you know how long before you turn 16 you get your NI number?
Reply 9
Original post by Cherx
Do you know how long before you turn 16 you get your NI number?

It's usually approximately 3 months, but it varies completely. I got mine about 3 months before but my friend got hers after her 16th birthday... so there is not really a specific time :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by CSM1996
It's usually approximately 3 months, but it varies completely. I got mine about 3 months before but my friend got hers after her 16th birthday... so there is not really a specific time :tongue:

Ahh man that sucks. So there's no definite way to know?
Original post by Cherx
Ahh man that sucks. So there's no definite way to know?

Nope, most peoples do come early though, you just gotta sit and wait :tongue:
I didn't find an XMAS job, But I found a summer job (2014). Any questions just quote and ask me
Oh right!

Um, I don't think I got a xmas job last year- got one straight after xmas though strangely. But the year before that, I worked at Waitrose over xmas and it was beautiful manic. (I love busy jobs).

This year, I've scored myself one at River Island and conveniently start right when I break up for uni.

Oh, and it's good to say that you adapt well to fast paced and busy situations- perfect for the xmas atmosphere. Good luck everyone!
I've got a Christmas temp. job at Clinton Cards right now. I started on 1st November and finish in mid-January, but there are permanent places for those who do well. We were taking in loads of CVs past the initial deadline (1st November), so maybe see if there's one near you still hiring!

The work is only so varied but it's OK if you can handle the tedium: a lot of it is working on tills, pushing our rewards scheme, tidying cards and maybe getting stock out after hours. My manager seems pleasant enough, if a little absent-minded sometimes, and the people are all friendly and supportive; there are definitely worse places to be working. The pay isn't stellar but it isn't abysmal either, given what some places (e.g. The Works) are offering U18s.

If you apply and get an interview, do a little research on them first and think about why you'd want to work for Clintons (i.e. tell them what they want to hear) so you're not left floundering.

Happy hunting!

Yours,
Grey
I'm trying to find a replacement tenant for next term, can anyone help me?

Saff
Hi all,

I applied for NEXT but didn't get because of those questionnaires they have I think it was the strongly agree disagree etc..
can anyone help me with these please?

I am on a gap year applying for Medicine so need the money for next 5 years :P
Getting a Christmas job is a great way of getting some work experience as well as cash, without the commitment to stay on afterwards if you don't enjoy it. I would definitely recommend it if you aren't planning on getting one.
Yes it is. But I need a christmas job for that first.
Have decided that while my summer job search will be limited to roles i actually want (graduated now), should i get nothing then come Sep 1st i shall take a menial role in anywhere with Christmas vacancies. Vacancies start cropping up from late August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending