The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
same here but for portsmouth and john moores please
Reply 2
I've been thinking about this too. From my friends and one of my cousins, I have been told that they are generally fairly relaxed. The obvious question would be 'why pharmacy?', but I guess they would derive questions, perhaps from you ps? i.e. any books you may have read or they may ask about your w/e. I think they are very relaxed and really it's opportunity to see if you are able to communicate. I was told that Nottingham ask academic questions at the interview.
Reply 3
I believe at Bath its simply a matter of checking you arent an idiot. They want to meet you, check you can reason through an argument, and havent lived unaware of anything going on. Basically I wouldnt worry, if you get an interview they want you already!
ok well what would people normally reply back to the question "why pharmacy"
Reply 5
lol well they would say because i like helping people or something wouldnt they
Well why did you want to do pharmacy in the first place?

Also, i've read that they like to ask if you know anything about any common drugs (e.g. NSAIDS and paracetemol), how they are made, how the work within the body, issues with the drug.

And knowing the difference between pharmacy and pharmacology, what is meant by a profession, should pharmacists be able to prescribe medicine?

just general stuff like that really
Reply 7
whats an aptitude test btw
Reply 8
yeh no aptitude tests are required for pharmacy, although, there could be in one uni. That's a well nice question to ask about: what drugs do you know about and how do they act in the body. I hope they are like that! If they ask academic questions, I would presume it would be mainly maths?? :smile:
Reply 9
LSOP might start conducting interviews from next year.
Reply 10
jhee
whats an aptitude test btw

An intelligence test? Like an IQ test.....I think.....:rolleyes:
Gregorian IV
Well why did you want to do pharmacy in the first place?

Also, i've read that they like to ask if you know anything about any common drugs (e.g. NSAIDS and paracetemol), how they are made, how the work within the body, issues with the drug.

And knowing the difference between pharmacy and pharmacology, what is meant by a profession, should pharmacists be able to prescribe medicine?

just general stuff like that really

well pharmacy is actually my backup im actually applying for med as my main course..but i presume they will ask me something like "why pharmacy as a backup" or something. ANyone know any good sites where i can read up on different types of drugs? and their effects on the body?
Ask your teachers if they have any books on any information about drugs, or if they know anything about drugs.
Reply 13
They won't expect you to go into any detail if they ask you about drugs. They may ask how would you make aspirin, but you should already know this as its in a lot of Chemistry A Level courses. May also ask you to just name a few and what they are used to treat. At my Manchester interview, one of the ones I named was an antihistamine drug called loratadine. The interviewer then put me 'on the spot' by asking me whether this causes drowsiness. I hadn't looked it up beforehand, so made a guess. 50/50 chance of getting it right, luckily I chose the right answer "no". :biggrin:
TO be frank i dont know much about drugs at all!. Aspirin was definitely NOT included in edexcel chem i mean we only got questions on calculating masses if i remember correctly. THe only drugs i know of are paracetemol and aspirin nothing near as complex as loratadine and remind me what do antihistamine drugs do exactly? is it something to do with the histones in cells?
Reply 15
Aspirin and paracetamol are the most common ones they'll ask you about. The structures are really simple to learn.

Antihistamines, like Clarityn, treat allergies, don't know how they work yet, I'll tell you in a few years time.
iceman_jondoe
TO be frank i dont know much about drugs at all!. Aspirin was definitely NOT included in edexcel chem i mean we only got questions on calculating masses if i remember correctly. THe only drugs i know of are paracetemol and aspirin nothing near as complex as loratadine and remind me what do antihistamine drugs do exactly? is it something to do with the histones in cells?

If we're on about loratadine, the most common case is probably in hay fever tablets but do treat general allergies. I think clarityn is the most common (if someone could back me up perhaps).

Histamines are chemicals which are relased by the body which causes irrtaation and inflammation (in hay fever, this occurs in the nasal area). Anti-histamins inhibit the effect of histamine (or at least i think so). FYI loratadine is usually the safest option to give people
Reply 17
Antihistamines work by inhibiting the enzyme that converts histamine into an active form, I believe. It acts on mast cells lining the interior of the respiratory tract, basically preventing them from releasing histamine which causes abnormal smooth muscle contraction and vasoconstriction. I hope they do ask about some drugs, especially the drugs for the cardiovascular system. :smile:
Reply 18
There are GSL and P drugs for hayfever and allergies, Loratidine (clarityn) cetrizine hydrochloride (zirtek) and chlorphenamine maleate (piriton). Loratidine is the only non-drowsy antihistamine and is taken once a day like the cetrizine hydrochloride. Wow, I amaze myself :biggrin: I really do they hope they ask questions on drugs :biggrin:
Reply 19
is it true rspbg are considering removing pharmacy from hjohn moores

Latest

Trending

Trending