The Student Room Group

Is a year in Technology at a big firm worth it for a career in IB ?

Is a placement year at a big firm (jp morgan, goldman etc) in technology and operations worth it, for someone who eventually wants a career in Investment banking? I mean to me it seems as waste of a year especially for someone who ideally wants a role as an Investment banker.

Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by stealth_writer
Is a placement year at a big firm (jp morgan, goldman etc) in technology and operations worth it, for someone who eventually wants a career in Investment banking? I mean to me it seems as waste of a year especially for someone who ideally wants a role as an Investment banker.

Many thanks

Depends what your other options are. It will be better than doing nothing.

My friend did Barclays Tech internship for a bit and then went on to HSBC investment management. But that was an internship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
Depends what your other options are. It will be better than doing nothing.

My friend did Barclays Tech internship for a bit and then went on to HSBC investment management. But that was an internship

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm i agree.It seems like a last resort thing. Any other opinions TSR?
Reply 3

The reek of arrogance is strong in this one.

If you want front office, best to aim for front office. Placements in Equity Research, Asset Management or even Consulting would give you a stronger boost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M1011
The reek of arrogance is strong in this one.

Elaborate.....
Original post by will2348
If you want front office, best to aim for front office. Placements in Equity Research, Asset Management or even Consulting would give you a stronger boost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you expand on this please my friend.
Could you expand on this please my friend.

Well, in terms of transferable skills and experience, technology and operations isn't as transferable as the ones I mentioned above.
Original post by will2348
Well, in terms of transferable skills and experience, technology and operations isn't as transferable as the ones I mentioned above.

Would an industrial placement role in 'sales and trading' be a good choice at UBS,Morgan stanley etc?
TBH im a total noob in regards to this, hence why i am asking these questions. Many thanks for your replies.
Would an industrial placement role in 'sales and trading' be a good choice at UBS,Morgan stanley etc?
TBH im a total noob in regards to this, hence why i am asking these questions. Many thanks for your replies.

Depends if it is in an actual S&T role or a support function. Why don't you just go for summer internships, then you can apply for what you actually want and then maybe a handful of placement years as back-up.
Reply 10

lol trading roles are generally even more competitive than those in the investment banking division.
Reply 11
x

This is not helpful at all but I an curious, how come your rep is blue?
Reply 12
Elaborate.....

Your implication that back office in a global bank is a "last resort" reeked of arrogance. I hope my elaboration helped you in this matter.
Original post by slg60
This is not helpful at all but I an curious, how come your rep is blue?

What does that have to do with anything? Furthermore , why shouldn't it be blue?
Reply 14
What does that have to do with anything? Furthermore , why shouldn't it be blue?

I did say it was nothing to do with the post I was just curious. Normally they are green.
Original post by slg60
I did say it was nothing to do with the post I was just curious. Normally they are green.

he has exactly zero rep
Original post by M1011
Your implication that back office in a global bank is a "last resort" reeked of arrogance. I hope my elaboration helped you in this matter.

Well said. When you are in your first year of uni, everything seems easy...it isn't. It is very very difficult to get these jobs, everyone else is attracted for just the same reasons as you, and there are always ten...probably tens...of people who are willing to do that job better than you for less pay and without thinking they deserve to something "better" (you will get found out in an interview). Good luck anyway.

+1 Welcome to the green world, my friend.
Original post by JRHewett
+1 Welcome to the green world, my friend.

Hahahah thank you buddy.
Reply 19
Original post by + polarity -
he has exactly zero rep

ohh :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending