The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Ask a current student (cornwall campus)

hey everyone

just thought it would be helpful to applicants/future students of exeter univeristy cornwall campus if you could have a place to ask current students some questions about the unversity in cornwall, uni life, what its like to live/study in cornwall etc.
i am a first year BA/BSc geography student so any applicants to that course i can hopefully tell you a bit about it!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great idea, thank you! Do you ever feel isolated in Cornwall? And what's the cheapest way to travel back home, because obviously train fares from Cornwall can be reallllyy pricy! :P Finally, is it an expensive place to live, and how do you manage shopping wise as there aren't many supermarkets bar Tescos in Falmouth - do you travel to shop? Thank you, sorry for bombarding you with questions :L
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by CloudedSilver
Great idea, thank you! Do you ever feel isolated in Cornwall? And what's the cheapest way to travel back home, because obviously train fares from Cornwall can be reallllyy pricy! :P Finally, is it an expensive place to live, and how do you manage shopping wise as there aren't many supermarkets bar Tescos in Falmouth - do you travel to shop? Thank you, sorry for bombarding you with questions :L

I am cornish so i personally have never felt isolated cause all my family are either in cornwall or devon but i have friends fron further away and they as far as i know are happy even though they are far away from home.
Travel is a problem ill admit but all exeter students in cornwall get a £500 bursary for travel costs help. Most people i know do get the train home.
Shopping isnt a problem as there is an asda 5mins walk away. There is even a cut through that goes from campus so you dont need to walk along a main road. There are also regular bus services to falmouth and a few other surrounding towns
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tgwktm
I am cornish so i personally have never felt isolated cause all my family are either in cornwall or devon but i have friends fron further away and they as far as i know are happy even though they are far away from home.
Travel is a problem ill admit but all exeter students in cornwall get a £500 bursary for travel costs help. Most people i know do get the train home.
Shopping isnt a problem as there is an asda 5mins walk away. There is even a cut through that goes from campus so you dont need to walk along a main road. There are also regular bus services to falmouth and a few other surrounding towns
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that's really helpful! I wasn't aware of the travel bursary, that'd be really useful :smile: I didn't know that there was an Asda either, that'd be very handy and takes away the worries I had about shopping as I've heard a lot of people say that it was limited before now :P
Reply 4
Thank you, that's really helpful! I wasn't aware of the travel bursary, that'd be really useful :smile: I didn't know that there was an Asda either, that'd be very handy and takes away the worries I had about shopping as I've heard a lot of people say that it was limited before now :P

glad to be of help! the buses into falmouth etc are subsidized as well i think they are £1 for students with your student ID card. there is also a annual bus pass you can get which will give you free travel around cornwall which is handy for me cause i use the bus to commute in and it has saved me over £600 i think
Original post by tgwktm
glad to be of help! the buses into falmouth etc are subsidized as well i think they are £1 for students with your student ID card. there is also a annual bus pass you can get which will give you free travel around cornwall which is handy for me cause i use the bus to commute in and it has saved me over £600 i think

The more you know! Thank you :biggrin: How much is the Cornwall bus pass? I'd probably want to travel around and see some other places, so that might come in useful potentially :P
Reply 6
The more you know! Thank you :biggrin: How much is the Cornwall bus pass? I'd probably want to travel around and see some other places, so that might come in useful potentially :P

its called the fal mussel uni card and its £440 per year so you could use the travel bursary to fund it. its bus travel but also the train line between falmouth and truro and i think it also includes ferries around the falmouth area although i haven't used it for that personally yet (mainly cause i don't like boats lol). you buy it online and collect it from uni.
Original post by tgwktm
hey everyone

just thought it would be helpful to applicants/future students of exeter univeristy cornwall campus if you could have a place to ask current students some questions about the unversity in cornwall, uni life, what its like to live/study in cornwall etc.
i am a first year BA/BSc geography student so any applicants to that course i can hopefully tell you a bit about it!

hey, could you just tell a bit about the nightlife and social life that is fairly standard there? thanks! x
Reply 8
Original post by Katie.1995
hey, could you just tell a bit about the nightlife and social life that is fairly standard there? thanks! x

nightlife is one thing that the uni does lack compared to uni's in cities as there is really only 1 club in the area:frown: but social life is good. there are lots of events run by the student union fxu on a weekly basis, there are regular events such as open mic sessions and quiz nights in the stannary bar, as well as other events run by societies. there are always events going on at the beaches down in falmouth and there are bigger events such as the snowball which is this weekend! the snow ball is like an annual event where everyone dresses up formally which is held towards the end of the first term to celebrate. although the uni doesn't have such an active social life as bigger city uni's i haven't been short of things to do with my friends
Reply 9
thanks to which ever mod made this thread a sticky!:hugs:
I'd love to hear about the typical day / week / year of someone doing Energy Engineering. If you have any idea...

Also, what is the place like for kids?
Should they expect any stick for coming from afar (London-ish)?

Can't wait!
Hey :smile: I'm considering applying to Exeter's Penryn campus for Geology. Everything from the course to the accommodation attracts me, except the fact that, unlike other larger universities, the campus doesn't advertise any sort of Music activities. I'm grade 8 oboe and don't want to completely give up music, instead wanting university life to enhance music.

On the Penryn campus' website it does say they have an orchestra, but, unlike other unis, they don't seem to big this up, so I'm wondering if anyone here can say if Penryn does have an orchestra and other activities which are decent?

Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by tgwktm
hey everyone

Hi! I've an offer for Ba/BSc geography and I'm in a pickle situation at the moment. I'm beginning to like the geography course at the Streatham campus a lot, and was wondering if it changing campuses is possible? I still really like the course at Penryn, but I feel the one at Streatam offers a wider choice of modules and more flexibility.

Thanks!
Reply 13
Original post by TheOboeBatt
Hey :smile: I'm considering applying to Exeter's Penryn campus for Geology. Everything from the course to the accommodation attracts me, except the fact that, unlike other larger universities, the campus doesn't advertise any sort of Music activities. I'm grade 8 oboe and don't want to completely give up music, instead wanting university life to enhance music.

On the Penryn campus' website it does say they have an orchestra, but, unlike other unis, they don't seem to big this up, so I'm wondering if anyone here can say if Penryn does have an orchestra and other activities which are decent?

Thanks

I am not very musical so i haven't looked out for these kind of activities myself, but i know the orchestra do shows/concerts cause I've seen them advertised around campus before, especially around Christmas.
Reply 14
Original post by carinaly
Hi! I've an offer for Ba/BSc geography and I'm in a pickle situation at the moment. I'm beginning to like the geography course at the Streatham campus a lot, and was wondering if it changing campuses is possible? I still really like the course at Penryn, but I feel the one at Streatam offers a wider choice of modules and more flexibility.

Thanks!

firstly congratulations on your offer😊 and i can't praise the course in cornwall enough. I had an offer from streatam as well but it wasn't my top choice so i didnt look into it much so i cant say much about that course. Im not sure if you can change campuses cause they do ask for higher grades than cornwall as the demand is generally higher for courses in exeter, but you could always contact the uni and ask as there is no harm in that.

By the way, the reason i didnt choose streatam was nothing against it, it was just because i preferred the campus in cornwall more
Reply 15
Original post by tgwktm
firstly congratulations on your offer������ and i can't praise the course in cornwall enough. I had an offer from streatam as well but it wasn't my top choice so i didnt look into it much so i cant say much about that course. Im not sure if you can change campuses cause they do ask for higher grades than cornwall as the demand is generally higher for courses in exeter, but you could always contact the uni and ask as there is no harm in that.

By the way, the reason i didnt choose streatam was nothing against it, it was just because i preferred the campus in cornwall more

Thank you :smile: I'll have to give a good think about it, as I haven't visited either campuses so I'm not sure which campus I'd like more. What was it about Cornwall's campus that attracted more over the Streatham?

Also, could you give me an insight on what first year geography is like? And what the general social experience is like?
Reply 16
Thank you :smile: I'll have to give a good think about it, as I haven't visited either campuses so I'm not sure which campus I'd like more. What was it about Cornwall's campus that attracted more over the Streatham?

Also, could you give me an insight on what first year geography is like? And what the general social experience is like?

Cornwall campus is very modern. There is no part that is more than 10 years old, some is still being built! It is not in a big city, its quite rural but that suits me well cause i like how peaceful it was. I have always wanted to study at that campus cause i had visited it many times in the past and just simply saw myself here. I live 20 mins away anyway. Apart from the fact that it is a beautiful campus, the fact that it is exeter uni means it is a well respected univeristy was a plus point for me.

First years are given time to get to know fellow students especially those in their tutor group as well as their personal tutor. There is a tutorialz module which is tauht in tutor groups in seminar class sizes by a phd student, where all assignments are designed to help you adjust to study habits at uni and teach you things like referencing and writing academic essays. The staff are always ready to help you, my tutor is really kind and you can talk tk them aboht anything really, academic related or not. Some modulex cover a lot of new stuff but some do cover things you already know so you dont feel to over whelmed. There is a field course module and a stats module. The stats module ill admit is not great, no one really liked it and i found it hard but again there was lots of support and i did actually do very well in the end much to my surprise haha. First year is designed to expose you to all areas of geography so there wil be things you love and things you hate but then you will know what you can focus on in wnd year. Thats the advantage of the course in cornwall as you can do human and physical and then choose what you want to focus on later in your 3rd year.

The nearest town is penryn but most of us go to falmouth cause tbh there isnt much in penryn, falmouth is a bigger town about 10min bus journey away. Im not a big fan of going out to clubs but people often go out in the town there too where a lot of pubs run student nights when drinks are discounted nicely. There are also lots of events on campus run by the student union and several big events at the end of each term as well as those held by societies so there is plenty to do

Hope this helps you
Reply 17
Original post by tgwktm
Cornwall campus is very modern. There is no part that is more than 10 years old, some is still being built! It is not in a big city, its quite rural but that suits me well cause i like how peaceful it was. I have always wanted to study at that campus cause i had visited it many times in the past and just simply saw myself here. I live 20 mins away anyway. Apart from the fact that it is a beautiful campus, the fact that it is exeter uni means it is a well respected univeristy was a plus point for me.

First years are given time to get to know fellow students especially those in their tutor group as well as their personal tutor. There is a tutorialz module which is tauht in tutor groups in seminar class sizes by a phd student, where all assignments are designed to help you adjust to study habits at uni and teach you things like referencing and writing academic essays. The staff are always ready to help you, my tutor is really kind and you can talk tk them aboht anything really, academic related or not. Some modulex cover a lot of new stuff but some do cover things you already know so you dont feel to over whelmed. There is a field course module and a stats module. The stats module ill admit is not great, no one really liked it and i found it hard but again there was lots of support and i did actually do very well in the end much to my surprise haha. First year is designed to expose you to all areas of geography so there wil be things you love and things you hate but then you will know what you can focus on in wnd year. Thats the advantage of the course in cornwall as you can do human and physical and then choose what you want to focus on later in your 3rd year.

The nearest town is penryn but most of us go to falmouth cause tbh there isnt much in penryn, falmouth is a bigger town about 10min bus journey away. Im not a big fan of going out to clubs but people often go out in the town there too where a lot of pubs run student nights when drinks are discounted nicely. There are also lots of events on campus run by the student union and several big events at the end of each term as well as those held by societies so there is plenty to do

Hope this helps you

Thank you so so much. I'm really excited to visit, and get a better sense of the place. I come from London so I'm not entirely sure living in a rural town might be for me, but I love the idea of living next to the beach.

First year sounds good! Well done on doing well on the stats haha, stats can be so tedious. I'm hoping that for the physical side of it covers areas like biodiversity and conservation? As well as tectonic processes like volcanoes?

The social life seems decent :smile: I hope I enjoy my applicant day when I visit.

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tgwktm
I am not very musical so i haven't looked out for these kind of activities myself, but i know the orchestra do shows/concerts cause I've seen them advertised around campus before, especially around Christmas.

Thanks very much, I'll look out for info online :smile:
Reply 19
Thank you so so much. I'm really excited to visit, and get a better sense of the place. I come from London so I'm not entirely sure living in a rural town might be for me, but I love the idea of living next to the beach.

First year sounds good! Well done on doing well on the stats haha, stats can be so tedious. I'm hoping that for the physical side of it covers areas like biodiversity and conservation? As well as tectonic processes like volcanoes?

The social life seems decent :smile: I hope I enjoy my applicant day when I visit.

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem, just to add something else about the soical life, people are always having flat parties so that is another thing, they also did a movie ngiht projecting a movie onto the wall of one of the flats and people sat outside and watched but that is only in the spring/summer due to the weather.

for someone like me who hasn't a mathematical or statistical bone in my body my first reaction my result was shock haha.

i like physical geography the most too and they do cover a lot about the environment and conservation. there is a module called global issues in environmental science that covers a very wide range of topic and that module is taught by lots of different lecturers so its also a good way to get to know them, but a lot of that covers things related to climate change and the environment. currently the first term doesn't cover much about tectonics but i have just started a module in the second term that is made for anyone who likes physical geography- espeically earth hazards, its called earth system science and covers everything really including, earthquakes, volcanoes, mass movement, flooding, climate hazards and also science communication (which is of growing importance now) so you should enjoy that module (there are also 3 trips to the beach in that module as an extra bonus haha)

in the second year there is a topic more focused on earth hazards as well

hope you do enjoy your applicant day, i did when i had mine. feel free to PM me about anything else:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending