The Student Room Group

Do Muslims often marry outside their race?

I'm just curious. Obviously, I've seen it happen here and there. I've seen an Iraqi woman with a Pakistani man, an Egyptian man with a Syrian woman and so on.

So I was wondering if any of you TSR Muslim, girls (& boys) have any issues with marrying outside of your race? Or would you prefer your spouse to be the same race as you?

Scroll to see replies

Lots do but most don't, same as everyone else.
Reply 2
Original post by Ravenous
Lots do but most don't, same as everyone else.

Inter-racial relationships are becoming much more common obviously. I want to know it's progression in the Muslim population and individual opinions on it?

Do you mind marrying outside your race? (Assuming you are Muslim).
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just curious. Obviously, I've seen it happen here and there. I've seen an Iraqi woman with a Pakistani man, an Egyptian man with a Syrian woman and so on.

So I was wondering if any of you TSR Muslim, girls (& boys) have any issues with marrying outside of your race? Or would you prefer your spouse to be the same race as you?

Hey!

I've seen ALOT of muslims marrying outside their race. It's becoming more and more common.

I have no issue with marrying outside my race. But it would be nice to marry someone with the same race to share the culture, language etc. Otherwise I actually don't even mind as long as he's a good person :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since when was Islam a race?
Reply 5
Religion is the most important for me, as long as he's a good Muslim I don't care if he's Chinese, African or English. Race would never bother me however I would prefer to be someone who shares the same ethnicity as me because when it comes to bringing up children it's hard to agree on which culture tradition to bring them up, you may have culture clashes but I think that's the only problem you would face of you marry outside your own ethnicity. My opinion is that I don't actually mind, as long as he's religious :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

How are you assuming that I said Islam was a race?

It's common sense that most Muslims will come from cultures which aren't as liberal nor open, and therefore marrying outside your race is something a little more different for them, in contrast to what we have in Western culture. Was that too difficult to comprehend?

Do you mind marrying outside your race? (Assuming you are Muslim).

Nope.
Reply 8

Since
an Egyptian man with a Syrian woman
became considered as a inter-racial relationship! lol.

For those who didn't get the joke, both Syrians and Egyptians are of the same race (ie Arabs sharing same culture) but from different nationalities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm I'm a British Pakistani and I would not mind at all marrying someone from a different race as long as he's Muslim but my traditional cultural family will probably have a problem with it -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WiFi
Since became considered as a inter-racial relationship! lol.

For those who didn't get the joke, both Syrians and Egyptians are of the same race (ie Arabs sharing same culture) but from different nationalities.

Hilarious joke as it is. Obviously, I didn't mean only mean it in the literal sense of two completely different races. More like different cultures, but you can just keep laughing - thank you.
Generally only Asian/Arab muslims care about race tbh
Original post by Professor Purple
Generally only Asian/Arab muslims care about race tbh

So bloody true

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what was thinking. :erm:

How are you assuming that I said Islam was a race?

It's common sense that most Muslims will come from cultures which aren't as liberal nor open, and therefore marrying outside your race is something a little more different for them, in contrast to what we have in Western culture. Was that too difficult to comprehend?

Look at the question you asked. :lolwut:

Islam isn't an ethnic groups, it's a religion. I'm confused by your point. Do you mean specific Muslims? E.g. Do asian Muslims often marry outside their race? Even then the question is still very broad. :s-smilie:
Not often but it does happen.

Sources:
Cousin married a white guy.
Second cousin married a black guy
Other cousin had relationships with white and mixed race [black+white] guys. (not particularly 'Islamic' by most people's standards but there ya go).
(edited 9 years ago)
Two of my (Turkish) cousins are. One of them married to a mixed race girl (caribbean/english) and the other to someone english- both of them converts.
I've seen Yemenese/Scottish and Yemenese/Black. Along with the countless Arab/Pakistani combintions...

But yeah, depends on the family. I'd expect the idea of only marrying someone from your exact same village would be phased out in the next generation though.
If we are comparing religions & strict followers of religions, I think Muslims marry outside of their race more than devout Christians/Jews/Buddhists. Obviously this is just my personal opinion. I think it's more common to see Muslims in interracial relationships.

One of my cousins married a Scottish guy, another married a Dutch guy and one married a mixed Korean-English girl. Also, I know many interracial Muslim couples than I do interracial Christian couples.

LOL. You mean marrying outside your religion. Its a religion, not race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anon please because I know a few people on this.

I am a Muslim guy and the girl I am hoping to marry is from a different
ethnicity to me so I am interested in contributing to this discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending