The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by gadzoinks
I'm having trouble finding a 4th or 5th choice for animation.
So far Bournemouth is my first choice, and I am considering Herts and Teeside.
I have a strong maths and arts background.

I have three questions :biggrin:
1. Should I broaden my search from strictly animation courses? If so, what to?
2. Could you recommend me a good, but fairly easy uni for a "safe" choice?
3. Is anyone applying/currently in Bournemouth uni? If so, which course are you going for and why? I can't decide between the two :<

I'm applying for the unis that are accreditted by skillset for animation, as well as Hertfordshire. http://www.skillset.org/animation/accreditation/

At Bournemouth the 1st year is common for all three courses so I'm going to apply for one then I can always change my mind :biggrin:

Hope that helps
Hi everyone!
Hope all your applications are going well and the portfolios are coming along nicely.
The reason why I am posting here is to give a possible alternative for you applicants.
I am currently studying Animation at Ballyfermot College in Dublin, Ireland.
This course is unbelievable how good it is. I applied to a few universities in the UK too, but I decided to stay at home because of the quality of work coming out of this place. we had 1 Oscar winner and 3 other nominees last year aswell as many previous students receiving Emmys and baftas and the likes. I've been here about 2 months now and already my drawing skills are unrecognizable to what it was beforehand.
Funnily enough, it was moid who enticed me to stay at home and do the course here. and I believe he will agree the traditional skills thought here are first class.
Oh, and also the tuition for 1 year is around 500 euros (£400 maybe). so yeah, its a little cheaper than £9000!
this is just to give some of yous another option to take if you so want to. it is tough enough to get in to, so do build up a strong portfolio if you're interested.
thats about that, hope it helps give you guys another alternative route. and if you decide to stay in the UK and study there, all the power to ye!
here is a link to the website. hope to possibly see you guys here next year!

http://www.isa-bcfe.ie/
Reply 1982
Hey everyone :smile:

In the process of filling out my UCAS form and statement now. My choices are similar to yours katie:
1) Bournemouth (first choice)
2) Hertfordshire
3) Teeside
4) Cardiff
5) Abertay

Newport and Glyndwr university offer animation courses if anyone wants to take a gander :smile:
http://www.newport.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/Pages/Animation.aspx
http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Undergraduatecourses/DesignandCreativeMedia/

Good luck to all! :biggrin:
Reply 1983
Good luck! :biggrin:

Why did you decide not to apply for Newport? I'm going to their open day next month but I'm a bit put off because their entry requirements are so low..

I'm also applying for Bournemouth, Hertfordshire and Glamorgan =) I decided Teeside is too far away for me
Reply 1984
Original post by KHill
Good luck! :biggrin:

Why did you decide not to apply for Newport? I'm going to their open day next month but I'm a bit put off because their entry requirements are so low..

I'm also applying for Bournemouth, Hertfordshire and Glamorgan =) I decided Teeside is too far away for me

i know this wasn't directed at me but i'll give the reason i'm not going to apply there, which is when i looked up their showreels on youtube most of the work was all 2D and stop motion i think i've seen one video which was 3D and the quality was really bad compared to hertfordhire or bournemouth ... but if you haven't alreadly look up the graduate work of the universities i'd advise you too it tell's you alot about the course

hope that helped :smile:
Reply 1985
ah really? I'll have a look at their work when i get a chance
Reply 1986
Same reasons really, the newport showreel was mainly 2D Animation which isnt what I presonally dont want to be doing in regards to Animation. I went to the Cardiff Atrium open day on saturday and was really impressed with what they were producing, we were also given a detailed outline of the course through year 1-3, definitely one of my top 3 choices :biggrin:

Off to Teeside for their open day this saturday, long journey though but one I hope will be worth it :smile: hope to see any of you, if your going that is :P
Hi,

Last year I posted a lot on this thread and got some great advice from people who had gone through the process of applying. I now go to Teesside university, which I have seen a few of you this year seem to be interested in. So, if you have any questions ask me.

Unfortunately now I'm going to sound like an advert for Teesside, but this is how I really feel. I applied last year for Teesside, Hertfordshire, Newport, Portsmouth and Lincoln. I got offers from all, but chose Teesside as my firm and Newport as insurance. Since I have been at Tees have realised I made the correct choice. So far people from Dreamworks and a person who worked on the scripts for lots of Sony films and Men in Black have talked to us, which has been so inspirational. I have only been a first year here for 5 weeks so far and already I have seen my drawing skills drastically improve and I'm starting to feel quite competent at using Maya.
The thing that made me chose Teesside though was the amazing facilities. I've been in the green screen studio at least once a week since being here and we have made some amazing short films and learnt how to do motion capture and four corner tracking techniques as well as green screen. Also I saw someone say Teesside was too far for them. Well, I live 5 hours away from Teesside by driving and I've been finding it ok because I have just been marvelling on how much fun I have been having.
The lecturers are also fantastic, they have all worked in the industry and are so passionate and easy to talk to.
Another thing which made me pick Teesside was the fact that there is an international games and animation festival here every year called Animex, which I have just bought my ticket for.

But yeah, I just wanted to let you all know my experience and how much fun it is here and how much I have learnt already. If anyone has any questions about interview processes for any of the Uni's I applied for or Teesside or UCAS or anything, feel free to ask. :smile:
Reply 1988
Original post by Mikee250
Same reasons really, the newport showreel was mainly 2D Animation which isnt what I presonally dont want to be doing in regards to Animation. I went to the Cardiff Atrium open day on saturday and was really impressed with what they were producing, we were also given a detailed outline of the course through year 1-3, definitely one of my top 3 choices :biggrin:

Off to Teeside for their open day this saturday, long journey though but one I hope will be worth it :smile: hope to see any of you, if your going that is :P

hey i was at Atrium openday on Saturday too :smile: did you got to the VFX talk ?
Reply 1989
Original post by Unlimitedsoph
Hi,

Last year I posted a lot on this thread and got some great advice from people who had gone through the process of applying. I now go to Teesside university, which I have seen a few of you this year seem to be interested in. So, if you have any questions ask me.

Unfortunately now I'm going to sound like an advert for Teesside, but this is how I really feel. I applied last year for Teesside, Hertfordshire, Newport, Portsmouth and Lincoln. I got offers from all, but chose Teesside as my firm and Newport as insurance. Since I have been at Tees have realised I made the correct choice. So far people from Dreamworks and a person who worked on the scripts for lots of Sony films and Men in Black have talked to us, which has been so inspirational. I have only been a first year here for 5 weeks so far and already I have seen my drawing skills drastically improve and I'm starting to feel quite competent at using Maya.
The thing that made me chose Teesside though was the amazing facilities. I've been in the green screen studio at least once a week since being here and we have made some amazing short films and learnt how to do motion capture and four corner tracking techniques as well as green screen. Also I saw someone say Teesside was too far for them. Well, I live 5 hours away from Teesside by driving and I've been finding it ok because I have just been marvelling on how much fun I have been having.
The lecturers are also fantastic, they have all worked in the industry and are so passionate and easy to talk to.
Another thing which made me pick Teesside was the fact that there is an international games and animation festival here every year called Animex, which I have just bought my ticket for.

But yeah, I just wanted to let you all know my experience and how much fun it is here and how much I have learnt already. If anyone has any questions about interview processes for any of the Uni's I applied for or Teesside or UCAS or anything, feel free to ask. :smile:

Thank you I may have a few questions after the open day that I'll be asking, I've heard about the Animex festival, sounds awesome! can I ask why you didnt apply to Bournemouth or Cardiff?
and katie yes I did go to the VFX talk were you there aswell?? there were only about 10 people in the room haha :biggrin: I enjoyed the talk though, gave me perhaps another option hmm..
Thank you I may have a few questions after the open day that I'll be asking, I've heard about the Animex festival, sounds awesome! can I ask why you didnt apply to Bournemouth or Cardiff?
and katie yes I did go to the VFX talk were you there aswell?? there were only about 10 people in the room haha :biggrin: I enjoyed the talk though, gave me perhaps another option hmm..

Hi,

Are you going to the open day on the 29th? Make sure you check out the Athena building, it's awesome in there.

Anyway, why I didn't apply for Bournemouth or Cardiff? Ok, pretty simple answers, when I went to Bournemouth's open day I just didn't click, I wanted to go a lot because of the prestigiousness of Animation there, but I just didn't get the feel for the way they worked things. But I mainly didn't apply because they wanted me to have a maths based course at A level, which I didn't have. Plus I didn't have much experience of 3D work, and I didn't get grades high enough for Bournemouth. Well, I got A*, B, B, D, so I am unsure whether I would have got in.
When you say Cardiff Atrium, are you meaning Glamorgan Uni? I did think long and hard about applying there. However for me Cardiff was a bit to close to home, I can drive there in less than an hour. Also they wanted experience of 3D work in there portfolio and I just didn't have that. However, I had nothing wrong with Glamorgan, I would have applied if I didn't live so close and if I thought I had a chance of getting in. So if you are considering applying there I would go for it, I thought that course looked fab. :smile:

I hope I have been a little bit of help, but I know my answers are more personal to my situation rather than about the uni being bad so not applying or something.

On the Tees open day check out the accommodation, I live in Woodlands and it's awesome. :smile: If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Reply 1991

i didn't go to the talk, but i wondered what you thought about the talk ?....if that makes sense :P
Reply 1992
Original post by Unlimitedsoph
Hi,

Are you going to the open day on the 29th? Make sure you check out the Athena building, it's awesome in there.

Anyway, why I didn't apply for Bournemouth or Cardiff? Ok, pretty simple answers, when I went to Bournemouth's open day I just didn't click, I wanted to go a lot because of the prestigiousness of Animation there, but I just didn't get the feel for the way they worked things. But I mainly didn't apply because they wanted me to have a maths based course at A level, which I didn't have. Plus I didn't have much experience of 3D work, and I didn't get grades high enough for Bournemouth. Well, I got A*, B, B, D, so I am unsure whether I would have got in.
When you say Cardiff Atrium, are you meaning Glamorgan Uni? I did think long and hard about applying there. However for me Cardiff was a bit to close to home, I can drive there in less than an hour. Also they wanted experience of 3D work in there portfolio and I just didn't have that. However, I had nothing wrong with Glamorgan, I would have applied if I didn't live so close and if I thought I had a chance of getting in. So if you are considering applying there I would go for it, I thought that course looked fab. :smile:

I hope I have been a little bit of help, but I know my answers are more personal to my situation rather than about the uni being bad so not applying or something.

On the Tees open day check out the accommodation, I live in Woodlands and it's awesome. :smile: If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Yes I am going to the open day on the 29th, driving tomorrow, staying over night. I fell in love with Bournemouth when I visited last year, however I did get this feeling that they were heavy on maths, I'm okay at maths but I didnt take it for A Level. Plus the maths test before the interview makes me nervous :frown: haha but thank you for explaining :smile:
I'll tell you what I thought of Teeside :smile: and if I have any questions
Reply 1993
Original post by katie55
i didn't go to the talk, but i wondered what you thought about the talk ?....if that makes sense :P

I love making films and the VFX talk opened up another option for me :smile:. The facilities were amazing. they have their own green screen, editing room and the equipment is top of the range. But the lecturer didnt really talk about what you do on the course, he showed us some students work :biggrin: and then demonstrated what could be done with green screen and a camera, which was cool :tongue:
I may consider it but it depends on whether I want to go for 5 animation courses or leave my 5th option open to something different :smile: hope that helps :colondollar:
Are you going to the Teeside open day on saturday too? and have you submitted your UCAS form, I'm worried about when we have to submit them :s-smilie: haha
Reply 1994
I love making films and the VFX talk opened up another option for me :smile:. The facilities were amazing. they have their own green screen, editing room and the equipment is top of the range. But the lecturer didnt really talk about what you do on the course, he showed us some students work :biggrin: and then demonstrated what could be done with green screen and a camera, which was cool :tongue:
I may consider it but it depends on whether I want to go for 5 animation courses or leave my 5th option open to something different :smile: hope that helps :colondollar:
Are you going to the Teeside open day on saturday too? and have you submitted your UCAS form, I'm worried about when we have to submit them :s-smilie: haha

i read somewhere that they like your personal statement to be all animation not a general one, so if you did do that you'd probably have to do another, i'm going all out for animation but i dont think my portfolio will be good enough for this year :s-smilie:
and no i'm not applying to Teeside for really stupid personal reasons but if i dont get into a course i want this year i will probably apply next year,
i havent submitted the ucas form but my college has a deadline for November so i need to get that sorted but i'm really worried about getting interviews too early, because i need time to create my portfolio, although they say the earlier you submit the more dedication it shows :L
have you started on your portfolio for interview yet?
plus are you coming straight from A levels or have you done a foundation diploma?

sorry so many questions and thanks :smile:
Reply 1995
Original post by katie55
i read somewhere that they like your personal statement to be all animation not a general one, so if you did do that you'd probably have to do another, i'm going all out for animation but i dont think my portfolio will be good enough for this year :s-smilie:
and no i'm not applying to Teeside for really stupid personal reasons but if i dont get into a course i want this year i will probably apply next year,
i havent submitted the ucas form but my college has a deadline for November so i need to get that sorted but i'm really worried about getting interviews too early, because i need time to create my portfolio, although they say the earlier you submit the more dedication it shows :L
have you started on your portfolio for interview yet?
plus are you coming straight from A levels or have you done a foundation diploma?

sorry so many questions and thanks :smile:

Its the same here :frown: I dont think my portfolio isnt as strong as say someone whos done a foundation, so as a plan B I am applying to do a foundation hopefully at Glamorgan :smile:
I have started my portfolio, at the moment it consists of a few life drawings (will include more), my film work, my art work pieces. Planning on including some photography and character ideas etc, I dont know whether or not to do any 3D work :s-smilie:
It really depends on if I can get in or not, because of the tuition fees I think it would be best to get in this year, wales have a grant to everyone living in wales, they'll pay the additional fees but I dont know how long that'll pan out for aha :L. If I dont get in then I'll go to do the foundation and try again :smile:
Hope that helps, I dont mind being asked questions :biggrin:
Reply 1996
Its the same here :frown: I dont think my portfolio isnt as strong as say someone whos done a foundation, so as a plan B I am applying to do a foundation hopefully at Glamorgan :smile:
I have started my portfolio, at the moment it consists of a few life drawings (will include more), my film work, my art work pieces. Planning on including some photography and character ideas etc, I dont know whether or not to do any 3D work :s-smilie:
It really depends on if I can get in or not, because of the tuition fees I think it would be best to get in this year, wales have a grant to everyone living in wales, they'll pay the additional fees but I dont know how long that'll pan out for aha :L. If I dont get in then I'll go to do the foundation and try again :smile:
Hope that helps, I dont mind being asked questions :biggrin:

i dont have that issue with the fees im stuck paying the full 9000, but i'd be doing the foundation at one of the local colleges :/ i'm trying to find the best course as my back up plan,
but i don't even do art i do graphic communication so i basically create posters and advertisement, a mix of everything but nothing shows great skill, so i'm going to have to create most things from scratch for my portfolio and i only started life drawing classes in september :L so not much done
i had started doing some tutorials on Maya for my EPQ but have stopped because they take so long what i've done so far although uncompleted is quite complicated but it's from a tutorial so i'm hoping i might be able to do a bit more but it's quite hard to do and using digital tutors is £25 a month :L so.... although alot say concentrate more on drawing skills but some like to see 3D work so... i'd have a go but its difficult if your teaching yourself, although i'm doing some clay sculpting too but nothing complicated :L
i also dont do maths and all my subjects are really random so i'm worried about not even getting interviews :s-smilie:
so umm yeah.... :smile:
Hi, I'm new here :smile: I'm planning to do animation next year, I won't be doing a foundation diploma unless it's integrated into the degree as I'll be 19 and student finance won't cover it. I'm going to apply to Hertfordshire (3D digital animation), Teesside (Computer Animation), UCA Rochester (CG arts and animation), Ravensbourne(animation) and Falmouth (digital animation).

Herts has put out some of the best work I have ever seen so I would definitely make it my firm if I got an offer. I've heard Tees is good for animation also but I'm not keen on living in Middlesbourough. I don't know anything about the UCA course I just needed a 5th choice but If anyone is doing this course or knows anything about it I'd be grateful for the information. I know Ravensbourne is respected in the media industry but I don't know if it's a good place to learn animation specifically though the graduate films are fairly impressive. I picked Falmouth because It looks like a lovely place to live :biggrin:

I'm not too worried about building a portfolio, drawing and painting is like breathing to me :smile: I'm just not sure what to include. I know unis expect alot of life drawing but I can't afford to join a class, besides it is too late to join the only class close enough. To make up for this I've been doing sketches of family members (although they are clothed it is still drawing from life.) Is digital painting neccessary? I have and can use photoshop but I prefer traditional methods of painting. Should I include work from my fine art alevel? I've heard people say that your portfolio should "tell a story" or be in a logical order but I'm not sure how to communicate that with my art. Generally I just see something I like then I draw it, most of my personal work is pretty random.

Regarding 3D, I've been learning Maya for the past few weeks. I struggled to learn from free tutorials as most weren't designed for an absolute beginner. I bought "Learning Autodesk Maya 2009 Foundation" cheap from amazon marketplace, there's a 2011 version but it's basically the exact same book. It's helped me gain a basic understanding of the whole program rather than how to model a specific thing like most tutorials on the internet are designed to do. The book is split into project based tutorials which take you through the basics of building a scene, adding textures, modeling a character and animating it. Does anyone know if it's okay to include 3D work from tutorials in my portfolio? Also, what it the preferred file format for animations (at any of the unis I've mentioned, If anyone knows) ? Should I print out screen caps of models?

Thanks in advance for any information :smile:
Original post by Firepants
Hi, I'm new here :smile: I'm planning to do animation next year, I won't be doing a foundation diploma unless it's integrated into the degree as I'll be 19 and student finance won't cover it. I'm going to apply to Hertfordshire (3D digital animation), Teesside (Computer Animation), UCA Rochester (CG arts and animation), Ravensbourne(animation) and Falmouth (digital animation).

Herts has put out some of the best work I have ever seen so I would definitely make it my firm if I got an offer. I've heard Tees is good for animation also but I'm not keen on living in Middlesbourough. I don't know anything about the UCA course I just needed a 5th choice but If anyone is doing this course or knows anything about it I'd be grateful for the information. I know Ravensbourne is respected in the media industry but I don't know if it's a good place to learn animation specifically though the graduate films are fairly impressive. I picked Falmouth because It looks like a lovely place to live :biggrin:

I'm not too worried about building a portfolio, drawing and painting is like breathing to me :smile: I'm just not sure what to include. I know unis expect alot of life drawing but I can't afford to join a class, besides it is too late to join the only class close enough. To make up for this I've been doing sketches of family members (although they are clothed it is still drawing from life.) Is digital painting neccessary? I have and can use photoshop but I prefer traditional methods of painting. Should I include work from my fine art alevel? I've heard people say that your portfolio should "tell a story" or be in a logical order but I'm not sure how to communicate that with my art. Generally I just see something I like then I draw it, most of my personal work is pretty random.

Regarding 3D, I've been learning Maya for the past few weeks. I struggled to learn from free tutorials as most weren't designed for an absolute beginner. I bought "Learning Autodesk Maya 2009 Foundation" cheap from amazon marketplace, there's a 2011 version but it's basically the exact same book. It's helped me gain a basic understanding of the whole program rather than how to model a specific thing like most tutorials on the internet are designed to do. The book is split into project based tutorials which take you through the basics of building a scene, adding textures, modeling a character and animating it. Does anyone know if it's okay to include 3D work from tutorials in my portfolio? Also, what it the preferred file format for animations (at any of the unis I've mentioned, If anyone knows) ? Should I print out screen caps of models?

Hi,

I'm on the BA (Hons) Computer Animation course at Teesside, and I've been living here 5 weeks now, and Middlesbrough isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's actually really clean, and a few of the locals look slightly dodgy, but in general everyone's friendly here, plus there is a lot of grass on campus so it feels less industrial. It's also so convenient being right in town, so in between lectures you can go home or pop into town with some friends and be back to a lecture within 3 minutes walk.

So don't let Middlesbrough put you off applying to Teesside. :smile:
Reply 1999
Original post by Firepants

I'll add some advice below about the portfolio, but first of all I can strongly recommend that any of you applying this year should visit all the open days at all the universities you are considering. You probably already have a strong idea of which course(s) you wish to attend as long as you get the grades you need, but do think about backup plans - if you don't get the grades and you wish to attend an animation course next year, make sure you have visited your insurance choices so that you know that it is worth your while attending them (and most of all, paying back the money for the rest of your career). I wouldn't take a chance if you don't get in to your first choice - make sure you know that you also don't mind attending and repaying on your second choice too. If you don't get the A-level / BTEC grades you want, before just accepting the insurance, think - is it worth more to me to attend a one year foundation course, get the huge amount of extra UCAS points from it and therefore guarantee that you have the grades for the year after (OK you've had to pay for a 1 year course on top in some cases)

or

Just take your insurance offer and perhaps spend the next 30 years regretting paying it off...

You're being asked to make a decision which will affect you financially for the rest of your life - it's the sort of decision that most people make when they get a mortgage, but that is something that the majority of you will do at a much later point in life when your careers are already in place - it's rare that anyone at the age of 18 would need to make this decision. especially when you have no previous experience of what this will do to you in future.

Anyway back to answering Firepants. Thanks for the compliments :smile:

I'd strongly advise joining a life drawing class or we are unlikely to accept you. Life drawing does not have to be expensive though, join the http://london-life-drawing-society.ning.com/ and you should be able to find your local group and most are very reasonable. Sketches of family members can be god (if done well enough) but we need to know whether you really understand anatomy, and you're only going to get that with life drawing. Digital painting is something we like, but not essential - as long as you have traditional painting skills that will be fine (we'll teach the digital painting). You should have images that show knowledge of perspective (two point or higher), colour theory and composition. I don't care what you draw/paint them in, as long as you are demonstrating those skills. Yes you can include work from your A-level as long as it's good :smile: If you are having to do nothing but copy Salvador Dali or Monet, well don't bother putting that in, or at the other end, if you are having to make a load of conceptual crap, leave that out as well. Look at the work and ask yourself - does this show talent? does this show ability to record the world outside yourself (or inside if it comes to that), does it show technical skill and creative design? Don't worry about a portfolio telling a story - although that is a good piece of advice if you are applying for a fine art course. Having images, each one that tells a story is a damn good idea, especially when making concepts for characters or environments. But we wouldn't expect that to extend through an entire portfolio.

Regarding 3D yes we want to see it, we prefer to see work you've made yourself rather than tutorials because most (decent) tutorials also come with the files so we don't know if you just used those, plus it shows zero creativity on your part - and you do want to demonstrate creativity or there's no point in becoming an animator :smile: Screen captures of models are great. Show them from different angles.

I don't know what other universities will want, but a MOV with h264 codec or MP4 file are the industry standards for compressed file delivery and that's what we like too :smile: Don't forget to compress the sound as well - ALaw or IMA 4:1 are good audio codecs.

Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest