The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Teeside would not be a nice area to live by the way. It's an industrial dump and I'd expect there to be hogh crime rates there due to the fact that all the windows in the university accomodation were barred up.
Ashtonised

I dont know.

Bournemouth:
-the best course or one of the best courses to apply for.
-the not so good student atmosphere.

The Best course if you're also interested in some of the technical aspects of computer animation such as scripting, programming, computer systems. However ive heard they're creating a new course to be more arty based, with hardly any programming/maths. Sounds like this would be the course for you.
The student atmostphere not so good???? dont know where you heard that from, but there is a great atmosphere, the town is full of students, and nights out are great too. Student prices almost every night. Living in bournemouth in the summer is great, especially when having bbq's on the beach :biggrin:. Theres quite a good high street close to the main student halls, and Asda is a 5minutes walk too.

Hope that helps you a bit when considering bournemouth!

Dan.
From all the courses for Animation ive looked at Bournemouth is the best. It has a balance of art and technical, which has to be good for employment. Beside I was speaking to two lectures on the course Susan and Adam and they said the graduation show is more like a recruitment event...something like 80%-90% students go on to be employed directly into the industry.

They also told me about the two new courses BU are trying to get verified...one is a more art based course as Dan said and the other a game design one for people who wana go into games design.

At interview for the Computer Visualisation and Animation course they'll be considering you for the other two courses in cas you dont make it in the original one they are running now.

TRUST ME BU IS THE PLACE TO GO.
if i get told that by someone, it makes me want to go there.
But living so north in england has made me wonder about going to bournmouth. it costs 112 quid to get there by train and back on a normal train ticket and it cost me 70 quid with the student railcard. i dont mind the long journey but the price of it to get back home every now and then its like :s-smilie: or even having any visitors.

and the whole spending the summer down in bournemouth sounds great but your not in uni then are ya? you leave before the summers months. Unless i get a house i guess. but even then affording the rent everyweek maybe hard.

well i would love to go to bournemouth. i just hope i make a great group of friends when im down there. I went to the open day near the end of october? and checked it out and i liked it. We had a lass show us round the campus and she said her flat mates were doing the course im interested in. and she said the nightlife is great everynight, haha awww she loves it haha, pretty much. and she was doing tv studies? or something that was to do with tv production, it could be called that even. i dunno. but aye.

and aye that sounds great about the new courses. Im happy doing a technical course otherwise i wouldnt have applied. im really good with coding and computers and programs. just the grades give it no justice. but it does sound really good that they are introducing a course thats more art based, because thats why personally im applying for the course for the whole creative side of it. but im happy to do all the underlaying sorta speak. to create the finish. but anyways.

if you guys are telling me that it is good for the course and the area, then im getting persuaded. :wink:
woops sory lol.
Yeah that is a real steep in terms of travel cost.

nah im not in the uni yet...but been Bournemouth beach quite a bit during summer...i like the sand lol (dnt ask me, im a kid at heart). Yh tru you could live on campus I heard its something like £70 to £90 max (inclusive of bills..have to check with dan)...and if u eligable for Aim Higher grant i think the uni gives u a bursarie to help.

If/When you get an interview jus show your skills off...if they ask you about the grades jus tell em init...i think they'll pick up on the talent...the interview allows em to see what ur really made of cuz any1 can say anything in there person statement I guess :biggrin:

Well honest opinion i think you should come if u get in.

I just hope I do...My heart is at that uni...i turned down my interviews from Hertfordshire, Teesside and Arts Institute at Bournemouth cuz I only wana go BU. I got interview on 28th.

Try get an offer...if you decide later that u dnt wana come den jus turn it dwn...but trust it would b 1 serious mistake in my opinion.
Tarshan: Please don't say things like "TRUST ME BU IS THE PLACE TO GO." It would be bad enough for someone like me or the other Dan (deadfish) to say something like that, because neither of us have been to any university but our own, so have no grounds for comparison - for you it's especially pertinent, because you haven't been to any of them. People might come here and, through failing to read through this thread properly, think you have obvious grounds to say something like that, and frankly it's misleading.

Astonished: I really think it would be a good idea to read through the whole thread - I know it's a long old bastard but compared to spending three years at potentially the wrong university, it's not so much! Apologies if you already have.

That said, I really don't think that Comp Viz at Bournemouth is for you - firstly (and I say this with all due respect), I don't think you'll get in. It's an incredibly competitive course, and it's always getting harder to get in. Given what you've said about your grades, I don't think you'll have the paperwork to get in; But what's more is that you failed ICT twice, and the BU course is a heavily technical course involving scripting and programming. Obviously I don't know anything about you, and you say you're interesting in coding and whatnot, so by all means go for it but their standards are pretty high in that respect.

Are you interested in the art side at all? It's entirely possible to go the technical route at other universities, but the support staff aren't so numerous for that, and, whilst some briefs will give you that option, a lot won't, and very few mandate it. I'm now a 3rd year at Herts, so if you have any questions about our course, feel free to ask. I'd like to point out again (I have a few times throughout this thread) that I don't care if you come here. I don't mean that in a mean way, but I hold no allegiance to Herts - I really enjoy it, and am very glad I came here, but it's not for everyone and I have no interest leading you into a course at a uni that's not for you, so if you ask me a question I'll answer it frankly and honestly.
Ashtonised

and the whole spending the summer down in bournemouth sounds great but your not in uni then are ya? you leave before the summers months. Unless i get a house i guess. but even then affording the rent everyweek maybe hard.

well tennancy is usually an 11month contract for 2nd/3rd years (unless you've found a great deal with an estate agents/lanlord), so yeah you will be here in summer if you decide to live in your bournemouth house during those months :smile:

first year accommodation is usually 40 weeks i think, and goes into June, when the weather is also still quite nice.

Rent is paid using my student loan, which is pretty normal for most people i think, well all my housemates are the same. Purbeck House (my first year halls) was something like £85 a week including all bills etc.. which isnt bad at all when comparing to how much the house im living in now is costing me!
DanGrover
Tarshan: Please don't say things like "TRUST ME BU IS THE PLACE TO GO." It would be bad enough for someone like me or the other Dan (deadfish) to say something like that, because neither of us have been to any university but our own, so have no grounds for comparison - for you it's especially pertinent, because you haven't been to any of them. People might come here and, through failing to read through this thread properly, think you have obvious grounds to say something like that, and frankly it's misleading.

yh sorry bout dat...and names spelt TASHAN by the way :biggrin:
They're changing the course here at Bournemouth next year. (Please correct me if this info is wrong or if it's has previously been said). The intake for students on the course is normally 55-60, i think we had 57 this year, but it's changing to about 100. Then i think, this may be wrong, but after the 1st or 2nd year, you have a choice to choose which path you take, one is more in the direction of film animation, much like the current course, one is more designed for computer games, but with still some film type animation, and the other is an artistic route, cutting out the technical work. This is only what i can remember from what the PAL leader told us, there may be info on the web, not sure, but it's all change next year.
Reply 389
Welshboyomon
They're changing the course here at Bournemouth next year. (Please correct me if this info is wrong or if it's has previously been said). The intake for students on the course is normally 55-60, i think we had 57 this year, but it's changing to about 100. Then i think, this may be wrong, but after the 1st or 2nd year, you have a choice to choose which path you take, one is more in the direction of film animation, much like the current course, one is more designed for computer games, but with still some film type animation, and the other is an artistic route, cutting out the technical work. This is only what i can remember from what the PAL leader told us, there may be info on the web, not sure, but it's all change next year.

Yeah, thats what they told us at the interview, when we had an intro to the course, I enjoyed the interview but 90% was boys there were only like three girls including me. The boys were really shy lol. I think ill hear from them
in a week or two as my interview was a week ago. I have also applied for art foundation at saint martins and london met, something to fall back on if i dont get in.

Tashan: You should've gone to your interviews elsewhere its stupid to only apply to bu, if you dont get in youre gonna end up being a bum for a whole year when you had 3 whole other interviews you could of gone to
Luxo
Yeah, thats what they told us at the interview, when we had an intro to the course, I enjoyed the interview but 90% was boys there were only like three girls including me. The boys were really shy lol. I think ill hear from them
in a week or two as my interview was a week ago. I have also applied for art foundation at saint martins and london met, something to fall back on if i dont get in.

Tashan: You should've gone to your interviews elsewhere its stupid to only apply to bu, if you dont get in youre gonna end up being a bum for a whole year when you had 3 whole other interviews you could of gone to

LOL ive im art foundation for AS Art, A2 graphics, AS Maths and AS Computing for nxt yr at my current college if i dnt get in to BU and i got into LCC for foundation art.

Lol I ant that stupid :biggrin:

how you think yur interview went?
Thank you Dan & Dan for your time to reply. Its all ever so helpful.

Ive already settled on the idea of not getting in, but i am waiting for message ive been declined.

The last day for ucas forms to be sent off was the 14 of jan, but mine got sent off on the 9th. The rest of the people in my class are hearing of interviews with one or two unis and i havent heard off anyone. Which isnt fun. I feel like im not really going to get a chance anywhere, which is my fault. but the feeling is suckish.

Otherwise. I'll do something.
Reply 392
I just read this whole thread, and its awesome.

@Ashtonised - Don't worry I sent mine off on the 12th. I hate myself I always leave it till the last second before i do something. Its called Procrastinating i think. Still hate myself for doing it though.
I know bournemouth interview in Feb too, so.. hopefully then :smile:
And I was told when I visited that someone on an animation course is 30yrs old, so... you know, time is on our side. kinda.
I got an offer from Teesside. :lolwut:
Reply 394
Hey guys, i recently had my interview for hertfordshire and i was very happy to hear on the day that they would give me a place for september. Does anyone know when i will get an email or letter from them confirming the offer? Because all i have at the moment is the interviewers confirmation haha.
Thanks people. Awesome thread by the way. Really helped.
Reply 395
LetzRave
Hey guys, i recently had my interview for hertfordshire and i was very happy to hear on the day that they would give me a place for september. Does anyone know when i will get an email or letter from them confirming the offer? Because all i have at the moment is the interviewers confirmation haha.
Thanks people. Awesome thread by the way. Really helped.

How was thee interview at Herts, I've got one tomorrow and it's my first on 4, what were people wearing and what sort of questions did they ask you ?

Thanks
Reply 396
Marink
How was thee interview at Herts, I've got one tomorrow and it's my first on 4, what were people wearing and what sort of questions did they ask you ?

Thanks

Hi, just replied to your PM. Everything should be covered in that.
LetzRave
Hi, just replied to your PM. Everything should be covered in that.

Any chance you could send me the samething please. I'll be having an interview with herts in the future and was wondering what it will be like?
Reply 398
Innuendo_anonymous
Any chance you could send me the samething please. I'll be having an interview with herts in the future and was wondering what it will be like?

LetzRave
It went really well, Basically for the first hour or so you will be guided around the university and its facilities with other people that are there for the interview, These include 2D Animation, 3D Animation, Games Design and Visual and Special Effects.

After this you will be taken into one of the lecture rooms and there will be 3 interviewers, They then interview you induvidualy.

Basically all i did was take all my stuff out of my portfolio and shown them to them while explaining the story behind my work.

I got asked a couple questions like whats my favourite movie and my favourite game etc.

Umm people were dressed in all sorts to be honest, I wore grey jeans, black cardigan and a scalf. I would say just go casually. Because you would look extremely out of place in the entire uni if you weren't to be honest haha.

There you go.

Quick Reply

Latest