The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
suryamutant
hi guys, thanks this is an usefull forum.. i too wanna do my masters in anim at uk, heard about full sail univ.. its site is cool and so is its course! can u guys help me to know this univ better!
http://www.fullsail.edu/

um i just went on the wikipedia page to have a read about it, seeing as i'd never heard of it and it turns out that its in florida.. so not in the uk.
Anybody any ideas about the Kent vs Bournemouth thread?

(see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22241516#post22241516)
Marink
Hey,

I'm currently doing my first year on the animation course in Bournemouth, and it is amazing, if not a little taxing, they definitely get the best out of you.

So far I know we haven't done any 2D, but there have been quite a few projects made in a 2D vein, so you can do it if you want to. And yes, I say that it should be good enough for your portfolio.

In my portfolio, I had around 8-10 life drawing images, a few character sketches (not my own, copied) and some photography as well. I also had some real life drawing like observation drawing and the such. I had no 3D created images in my portfolio from any software, and they kind of prefer that as it allows them to explain everything from the ground up on maya. They prefer you to have a good eye for proportion and movement, so any sketches like that would help a lot.

I think that if you had a portfolio with life drawing, 2d sketches and animations and a few observation drawings that would be really good.

Any other questions just ask.

Ahh you're so much help, thanks :biggrin:

Hmm, I'd rather have a course in which I could do 2D a long with 3D so I'm not entirely sure I would want to go to Bournemouth
Plus, it's ages away from me as I live in Manchester!

Might go for Teesside instead, it looks very good :smile:
The only thing I'm doubting is the area really...

Just to clarify, life drawings are just of people in poses right? :s-smilie:
Reply 783
If you want to study on a 2D course that has 3D teaching as part of it (we cover basic modelling, texturing, lighting and animation in 3D for 2D students as well as specific 3D for 2D skills such as toon rendering, camera mapping, 3D inside compositing programs, blending 2D animation into 3D scenes etc ) you might want to look at one of my courses at Hertfordshire http://uhanimation.co.uk/ There are lots of animation courses that allow mixed media animation (blending 2D and 3D for example) but not many actually the teach the student how to do so.

Life drawings are studies of the nude from real life and show anatomy, proportion and foreshortening knowledge. If you don't have any make sure you attend a adult education course in life drawings so you can get some for your portfolio wherever you apply. And if the college doesn't need to see your artwork to offer you a place, don't go there.
Reply 784
Hi, cool thread and all. I am concerned as for applying to do computer animation at bournemouth for example, is a foundation course needed in animating since I have no experience only that I have done art a-level which included a life-drawing course.
thx in advance
Reply 785
cactusboi
Hi, cool thread and all. I am concerned as for applying to do computer animation at bournemouth for example, is a foundation course needed in animating since I have no experience only that I have done art a-level which included a life-drawing course.
thx in advance

Hi, they don't need a foundation in art, though it will make the art side of the course easier and they do prefer it, but I didn't do a foundation or any art qualification, I just showed my ability to draw. They will like to see a lot of life drawing work as it really show's off your ability, have you done any technical subjects along with your A-Level art, as you will need some basic maths knowledge to get accepted on the course.

Hope this helps
Reply 786
ManUtdDrumBoy
Ahh you're so much help, thanks :biggrin:

Hmm, I'd rather have a course in which I could do 2D a long with 3D so I'm not entirely sure I would want to go to Bournemouth
Plus, it's ages away from me as I live in Manchester!

Might go for Teesside instead, it looks very good :smile:
The only thing I'm doubting is the area really...

Just to clarify, life drawings are just of people in poses right? :s-smilie:

No problem, and yeah, if you want to really focus on the 2D aspect of animation then Bournemouth is probably a bit too 3D orientated for you, you probably need to go for a more Art's based course, as we really focus on the 3D production in maya and stuff, working on character design and the like in 2D, but no animation in 2D yet, although you can do that if you want.
Reply 787
Hey, I've just found out that I have a conditional offer from Portsmouth to do Computer animation.. They havent interviewed me. This is bad, yes?
Reply 788
Depends. Have they seen your artwork? If they offered you a place on the basis of seeing your artwork but not you in person it might just mean that they are too busy to interview and everything is fine. If they haven't seen your artwork then think carefully about giving them money... if you went to an open day and were impressed with the quality of the student work and the experience of the lecturers etc etc and you like the place then go ahead. If you have doubts, look around at other universities.
does anybody know about the accomodation situation (that rhymes!) in bournemouth? just a tad worried, because although its sounds amazing, im really put off by the things ive been hearing about the accomodation :/
Reply 790
moid
Depends. Have they seen your artwork? If they offered you a place on the basis of seeing your artwork but not you in person it might just mean that they are too busy to interview and everything is fine. If they haven't seen your artwork then think carefully about giving them money... if you went to an open day and were impressed with the quality of the student work and the experience of the lecturers etc etc and you like the place then go ahead. If you have doubts, look around at other universities.

Nope, they haven't seen any of my art, which i thought was a bit odd. I think I'l have to go visit them to get a better idea of the course as i haven't actually been to see Portsmouth at all. But i was thinking perhaps they gave me an offer because i have high predicted grades? I probably won't go there anyway- I only really applied there because the careers lady at my school wanted me to apply to five unis.
Leahpanigada
does anybody know about the accomodation situation (that rhymes!) in bournemouth? just a tad worried, because although its sounds amazing, im really put off by the things ive been hearing about the accomodation :/

What have you heard about the accommodation lol? *Worries*
Reply 792
jamhands
Nope, they haven't seen any of my art, which i thought was a bit odd. I think I'l have to go visit them to get a better idea of the course as i haven't actually been to see Portsmouth at all. But i was thinking perhaps they gave me an offer because i have high predicted grades? I probably won't go there anyway- I only really applied there because the careers lady at my school wanted me to apply to five unis.

If it's any help I have seen some good 2D animation from Portsmouth so if you want to study that it might be worth a visit. I would advise visiting all the universities you apply to, it's the only way to get a proper feeling of a place that you might spend three years of your life at. Having said that, I would be very cautious about any art course that offered you a place without seeing your artwork...
Reply 793
AlexPoolton
What have you heard about the accommodation lol? *Worries*

Hey, currently posting this from accommodation in Bournemouth, basically they only have enough accommodation to fit in around 70% of first year students into university accommodation, so all you have to do is make sure that you apply early for it to make sure that you get it.

If not, it's not that big of a deal they have university recommended housing and stuff, all located close to uni, so it's fine. Anyone got any questions, just drop me a PM or quote me.
Marink
Hey, currently posting this from accommodation in Bournemouth, basically they only have enough accommodation to fit in around 70% of first year students into university accommodation, so all you have to do is make sure that you apply early for it to make sure that you get it.

If not, it's not that big of a deal they have university recommended housing and stuff, all located close to uni, so it's fine. Anyone got any questions, just drop me a PM or quote me.

and to back him up on bournemouth accomodation, I originally wanted to be in halls but i was put in a house... and the house is amazing! My room is huge, the kitchen is nice and modern... (save money on the washing as we have a washing machines) and the shower is great! haha soo! If you are in a house, its not the end of the world at all...
and if your unhappy with where you are, theres always places free in halls and houses before christmas. you see photocopies on the back of toilet doors! and then one of my house mates is leaving at xmas cos she doesnt like the forensics course... not sure what course shes on exactly but its to do with that. So.... again! not to really worry about accomodation!

and then again with unilet houses bills are all inclusive aswell! which is great as we have the heating on all the time! we like a warm warm house.
Reply 796
Can anyone recommend any good points I could add to my personal statement? My favorite choice of University is by far Bournemouth. I'm going to have a gap year and do a fine arts foundation course so I can get my life drawings up to scratch. I'm applying for the Animation & Visualisation course.
Reply 797
JaySmitt
Can anyone recommend any good points I could add to my personal statement? My favorite choice of University is by far Bournemouth. I'm going to have a gap year and do a fine arts foundation course so I can get my life drawings up to scratch. I'm applying for the Animation & Visualisation course.

Hi, I would stress that you would try to include any experience you have in any art/design based subjects, eg. I hadn't done art, but I had done loads of photography so I related the skills that I had learnt from photography to animation.

Ermm, maybe try to include some things to do with team work or working on a project as definitely in the first and second year, also in the industry you will be working as part of a team to do a project and will have to work together on it.

Also anything to do with life drawing will be of great benefit to you, I don't know if you're applying this year or not, but if you are, I would maybe consider applying next year as you will have a much stronger portfolio to show and have that extra years worth of experience to talk about on your personal statement, so you will be more likely to get a place.

If you'd like to know anything else, just quote me or drop me a message, hope this helps ^_^
Reply 798
Hey I've read through a lot of these posts after worrying about getting into Bournemouth Uni to study Animation and I am now even more concerned!

I know the course most discussed is Computer Visualisation and Animation and many have said that they had to take a Mathematics and Logic test and also provide a portfolio with life drawings?! Now.. I'm looking into the "3D Computer Generated Imagery: Modelling & Animation" course.... Would anyone happen to know if they also have these preliminary tests and portfolio requirement? I've read nothing about any of this and it has come as quite a large shock!

I'm currently studying Art, ICT and Product Design (Essentially DT/Graphics with a different name.. lol) We've done absolutely ZERO life drawing in Art although I know the basics of it but never done it before! Maybe touched upon it in GCSE.. but never done any serious work on it. From what I've read, I'm screwed??? (Depending if these two courses which seem very similar, have different interview requirements..)

I'm predicted to get an A in ICT, A in Product design and.. unfortunately C in Art (I really messed up the first year of art, got a D and will/should get a B this year to bring it up to a C.. -sigh- ) So I'm worried that they are going to frown upon the C if it's really based around life drawing and what not, as much as I've read! (I was hoping to move away from art and move into 3D aspects of it.. I've kind of lost my motivation for Art.. A level art has been a real un-motivator for me (Due to me stupidly messing the first year up).

Ah.. sorry... long post ^.^..

Thanks anyways :3
Reply 799
3D Computer Generated Imagery: Modelling & Animation is a 2 yr foundation degree course run at Bournemouth college with an entry requiment of only 80 points so predicted AAB you are fine. This is different to the one discussed on this thread which is 3 yr BA run at the university by the BCCA. http://onlineservices.bournemouth.ac.uk/Courses/Course.aspx?course=32&school=MS&level=ug&code=BACVA&mode=ft

Quick Reply

Latest