The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Jirai
Unlimitedsoph don't worry, my life drawing skills are far beyond thenoodlepirate's, but if we practice we will manage, don't worry^^

Well guys, as promised i've uploaded some images into deviantart ( the website is damn confusing btw ). However i think i will re-upload them because i took the photograph with artificial light, hence the orangy colour.

http://thecyan.deviantart.com/gallery/

Any comments/ feedback / critisize tell me please :smile:

Don't draw from photos, photos are 2D representations of 3D forms, when you draw from them (unless you know your anatomy well) you are copying a 2D form to a 2D form and the images always look flat. Don't put random body parts in a portfolio (unless they are really amazing - maybe some well observed hands in different poses would be good) but any lecturer interviewing you will want to know if you can draw the whole body, not part of it - animators rarely get to just animate feet for example :smile:, so get to as many life drawing classes as you can. And draw your friends as well- get the mto psoe, the ydon't have to be fully nude. If you are studying art somewhere at the moment you are doing so with other students - organise figure drawing sessions where one of you will pose and the others draw and then swap round. If your friends wantto study art at university they will need practice too. Help each other.
Reply 1381
Original post by ATennant
Hi all.

I just joined the forum. This is an awesome thread. Took me bloody ages to read all 70 pages though but worth it! I'm also going to try to get in to Herefordshire Uni animation but am in a bit of a different situation to you young whippersnappers having done my first degree before most of you were born... :eek:

P.S. Moid: Is your nickname from Terrahawks? That was an awesome program. (really showing my age there...)

L8R,
Adam.

Terrahawks was indeed an impresive programme :smile: I haven a sneaky suspicion that we are of a similar age... However Moid (although a character of the show as you say) is not where my avatar name comes from. It's a bad form of Antwerps/Flemish dialect slang / kind of Dutch and is a concatenation of the phrase 'zoe moe ied' (just put something), and as moid it kind of means 'just something' :smile:
Reply 1382
Original post by moid
It's a bad form of Antwerps/Flemish dialect slang / kind of Dutch and is a concatenation of the phrase 'zoe moe ied' (just put something), and as moid it kind of means 'just something' :smile:

OK, my guess wasn't even close, but I'd never have guessed the real meaning. :smile:

I particularly loved the "cubes" vs "spheres" fights in Terrahawks. Brilliant. Hmm, now there's some inspiration for a homage animation...

I sent you a novel length PM and it'd be great if you could reply at some point so I can bombard you with more questions. (not great incentive for you to do so I realise :rolleyes: )

L8R,
Adam.
Reply 1383
Original post by moid
Don't draw from photos, photos are 2D representations of 3D forms, when you draw from them (unless you know your anatomy well) you are copying a 2D form to a 2D form and the images always look flat. Don't put random body parts in a portfolio (unless they are really amazing - maybe some well observed hands in different poses would be good) but any lecturer interviewing you will want to know if you can draw the whole body, not part of it - animators rarely get to just animate feet for example :smile:, so get to as many life drawing classes as you can. And draw your friends as well- get the mto psoe, the ydon't have to be fully nude. If you are studying art somewhere at the moment you are doing so with other students - organise figure drawing sessions where one of you will pose and the others draw and then swap round. If your friends wantto study art at university they will need practice too. Help each other.

Thanks for the advice Moid! So you don't recommend at all drawing from photos? I've seen portfolio examples where the applicant in question drew from photos, but still i trust you more ( obviously ) and will get my friends/brothers/family to sit down for a couple of hours and draw them.

All the hand, feet and shoe drawing is suposed to be practice work, preparation. ( the hands, for instance, are not finished as they are simply a quick sketch ).

I will soon sign up for the life drawing classes and when i have some examples will upload them. I suppose that with so few pieces uploaded you can't give a general opinion of level? ( as you haven't seen 3D Work, Life Drawing, Perspective Drawing, Colour use etc. )

By the way, in a few posts back you linked a website where you could download free rigs to animate. Thing is i use Lightwave 3D and they happen to not have rigs for that software, if you knew a website where they have for lightwave i would apreciate it.

Finally, in a portfolio would it be nice to have a character design based on someone? For example i'm planning to use my brother. Like develop ideas, first drawing him as he is from different perspectives, then change him and make him a soldier, or anything and again draw in different perspectives?

Thanks for your help!

Original post by ColonelMoore
From my experience, it's kinda pointless to apply for both. If you get onto one of them, your application for the other will be automatically rejected, which is what happened in my case. And since the requirements are exactly the same for each course, then if you fail to get onto one then you'll fail to get onto the other as well. So either way that extra course choice will be a rejection.

So if you think Games Art is the best fit for you, then my advice would be list that as your choice from Herts. If you're accepted onto the Animation programme, but realise Games Art isn't for you, then you will still have the opportunity to transfer to another strand like 3D Animation, VFX etc.

And don't worry about 3D so much, they actually prefer to see solid traditional artwork, because it demonstrates that you have artistic ability. They can teach you everything about the software, but they need you to have some artistic ability to work with it.

As I recall my interview was actually more of a conversational type thing, we chatted a bit about Unreal Engine 3, and some technical stuff about it, a bit about where I was from, and then I just remember being asked "why do you want to study here?". But, I don't know if that's everybody's experience because it might be different from lecturer to lecturer, candidate to candidate.

Hope that helps

Thank you very much, it did help ^^! however i think i will still apply to both >.<
Reply 1384
Original post by ttang92
So heres most of the work I got to show, I would really appreciate some feedback!

I got two animations on my Youtube channel at the moment, one is a 2D rotoscope animation which was for my final major project of my BTEC course. The other is a 3D stop-motion animation which was my final project for the first year of my BTEC course. I got a blog dedicated to my 2D rotoscope animation which shows the process I went through etc, I used the blog as my workbook instead of writing up in a book.

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrtimtang
Rotoscope Blog
http://mrtimtang.wordpress.com/

As for drawings, I got some life drawing, perspective and observational drawings and a 3D house I made. The photos of the life drawings aren't so great as the lighting is quite bad in my room, but I photoshopped them a bit to bring the drawings out more. These aren't all my life drawings, these are just the ones I bought to the interview.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tang/

When I was at the interview, I think my biggest mistake was that I didn't show any 3D work. So I've currently made a 3D house and I downloaded a free model from creativecrash.com and attempted a walk cycle. The walk cycle is on my second Youtube channel cos I don't want to put small clips on my main one. I've also got some other stuff on the second channel related to my 2D rotoscope animation.

Second Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrtimtangblog

So I plan on doing more perspective and life drawings, and I'm going to either make a 3D car or a 3D person in proportion.

There is some excellent work here, well done :smile: I'm glad you actually did something creative with the rotoscope - and you made something impressive too, we generally avoid rotoscoped animations because usually there is no story behind the work and the student can't animate which is why they've used rotoscope - you've used it for the right reason - a gigantic quantity of work to create and a limited time to do it in. I would be concerned from seeing just roto work, but your 3D walk cycle is definitely good enough for a portfolio piece, please put both in, if you are applying for one of our 3D degrees, show the 3D walk first. If you want to present it more professionally (and seeing as you have a widescreen render), take the render you already have and place it on the left or right side of the screen, then render the same walk at the same frame rate but do it from the side and place that in the empty half of the screen. Save the lot as a MOV in H264 or an MP4 and hte interviewer can scrub through your animation frame by frame to check out the motion and see it from two angles. If you can turn off the frame blending that would be lovely too.

If you could do a run cycle, or a decent run and jump and land, that would be lovely (use the same model, it's fine). If you did not build the rig/model, please credit the original author in the clip - that's fine with us for someone who is demonstrating their animation knowledge; building a working rig takes a long time and a lot of lectures! Always remember to credit the original artist - good academic and professional practice.

Put all the life drawings in the portfolio, put the colour ones first. If you are bringing scans instead of originals (we prefer originals) please take the black and white images and adjust the levels in photoshop so that the paper becomes lighter and the linework is easier to read. I like the perspective drawings, you clearly understand depth and recession.

The best images are the Arboretum park, Calke Abbey house, Building Drawing#1 and the photo of the cellar.

The 3D house is OK, but has errors in scale/proportion - look at the roof tiles, they are quite gigantic. Could you attempt to build a more interesting and complex structure? Like part of the abbey you have been drawing? Other than that it's a good selection of work, it would be nice to see some character designs if you can, or maybe take some of your drawings into Photoshop or Painter and really give them a finished painted look - transform the sketch into a fully worked up digital painting. If you have any more good photos, add them as well. Keep working :smile:
Reply 1385
Original post by Prangers
ttang, just thought I'd let you know that your work seems excellent!

I've only got a few illustrations as of yet. I'm still not sure if I'm good enough to apply - so I'm torn between animation and something more straightforward like Pharmacy. Hopefully I can put together a few life drawings and animations once I've got my NEVER ENDING graphics work out of the way.

http://helloharriet.deviantart.com/

Cheers!

Ah some good work here! Take one or two of the dsigns and produce a model sheet in colour and to scale of them - draw front, side, back views, one character per page, that will look very good in your portfolio for any animation college. If you drew facial expression sheets and mouth shapes that would be lovely.

There are great black and white references from professionals here:

http://www.animationmeat.com/modelsheets/modelsheets.html mostly hanna barbera cartoons

http://animationarchive.net/Model%20Sheets/index.php
Disney only sheets

What sort of animation do you want to do?
Reply 1386
Original post by Jirai
Thanks for the advice Moid! So you don't recommend at all drawing from photos? I've seen portfolio examples where the applicant in question drew from photos, but still i trust you more ( obviously ) and will get my friends/brothers/family to sit down for a couple of hours and draw them.

All the hand, feet and shoe drawing is suposed to be practice work, preparation. ( the hands, for instance, are not finished as they are simply a quick sketch ).

I will soon sign up for the life drawing classes and when i have some examples will upload them. I suppose that with so few pieces uploaded you can't give a general opinion of level? ( as you haven't seen 3D Work, Life Drawing, Perspective Drawing, Colour use etc. )

By the way, in a few posts back you linked a website where you could download free rigs to animate. Thing is i use Lightwave 3D and they happen to not have rigs for that software, if you knew a website where they have for lightwave i would apreciate it.

Finally, in a portfolio would it be nice to have a character design based on someone? For example i'm planning to use my brother. Like develop ideas, first drawing him as he is from different perspectives, then change him and make him a soldier, or anything and again draw in different perspectives?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you very much, it did help ^^! however i think i will still apply to both >.<

No, don't draw from photos, you are just cheating yourself. To draw well from photos you have to understand the underlying forms (the anatomy) so that you can add the additional roundness of the structure back into the drawing. A simple test for you: Get a friend to stand still against a wall, take a photo of their head and shoulders, print it out and stick it to the wall next to their head. Try drawing from them. One will contain much more information (and allows you to walk around to check the anatomy from different angles) while the other is flat and a pale imitation of life. You choose which one will teach you more.

Lightwave has a very small userbase in the UK/the world. You'd be better off with a major package like Maya or 3DSMax - Maya is best for free rigs. I'm not surprised there aren't any free rigs for it; it's a very niche package these days.

A character design based on a real person - maybe, if it was done really well, but you might get a lot more scope from a written description that you could use your imagination on. There's a great book called The Skillful Huntsman which is all about taking a fairly 'normal' Grimm's fairy tale and then coming up with hundreds of different original design ideas to retell the story in completely unexpected ways.

Colonel Moore is right. Do not apply to two courses, you are wasting your UCAS options. If your work isn't good enough for one course, it won't be good enough for another, there's no quality requirement difference between the four degrees. We look at the work in the portfolio and ask a lot of questions to work out whether the course you have applied for is right for you and to find out whether you really do want to do it. If we feel that you have good work but have applied to the wrong course we will tell you and make an offer based on that.
Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while. I'm really excited about sending my UCAS off soon, I was meant to earlier this week. But some of my references aren't finished yet.

Moid, would you mind looking at some of my art and saying what you think? In my opinion the standard of some of my drawings are not as good as others here, so it would be great to know what aspects I need to improve on, as time is now ticking. My deviantart is http://loxeni.deviantart.com/#/d31yuoy, Thanks
Reply 1388
Original post by moid
No, don't draw from photos, you are just cheating yourself. To draw well from photos you have to understand the underlying forms (the anatomy) so that you can add the additional roundness of the structure back into the drawing. A simple test for you: Get a friend to stand still against a wall, take a photo of their head and shoulders, print it out and stick it to the wall next to their head. Try drawing from them. One will contain much more information (and allows you to walk around to check the anatomy from different angles) while the other is flat and a pale imitation of life. You choose which one will teach you more.

Lightwave has a very small userbase in the UK/the world. You'd be better off with a major package like Maya or 3DSMax - Maya is best for free rigs. I'm not surprised there aren't any free rigs for it; it's a very niche package these days.

A character design based on a real person - maybe, if it was done really well, but you might get a lot more scope from a written description that you could use your imagination on. There's a great book called The Skillful Huntsman which is all about taking a fairly 'normal' Grimm's fairy tale and then coming up with hundreds of different original design ideas to retell the story in completely unexpected ways.

Colonel Moore is right. Do not apply to two courses, you are wasting your UCAS options. If your work isn't good enough for one course, it won't be good enough for another, there's no quality requirement difference between the four degrees. We look at the work in the portfolio and ask a lot of questions to work out whether the course you have applied for is right for you and to find out whether you really do want to do it. If we feel that you have good work but have applied to the wrong course we will tell you and make an offer based on that.

Thanks again Moid, i will certainly have my brothers sit down and draw them ^^.

So you don't recommend the character-development idea based on my brother?

Last, if i applied to two similar courses at the University of Teeside i should only apply for one then? anyone know if there are any other uni's where the animation course is good?
Thnx everyone!
Reply 1389
Hard for me to tell! You might design something amazing - or you might just draw a portrait of your brother in different costumes... character design is somewhat deeper than just making someone wear different clothes :smile: You'll have to decide this.

What I wrote about not applying for more than one course at Hertfordshire does not necessarily apply to any other university - some universities have BSc and BA animation courses and these may be in different faculties that have no links with each other (I've certainly taught in universities with that setup in the past), and in those situations you should (if you want to) apply to two or more courses - but make sure you know if they are both worth applying for before you use up your UCAS options.
Reply 1390
Original post by Unlimitedsoph
Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while. I'm really excited about sending my UCAS off soon, I was meant to earlier this week. But some of my references aren't finished yet.

Moid, would you mind looking at some of my art and saying what you think? In my opinion the standard of some of my drawings are not as good as others here, so it would be great to know what aspects I need to improve on, as time is now ticking. My deviantart is http://loxeni.deviantart.com/#/d31yuoy, Thanks

I'll send you a PM shortly.
Original post by Stefan2kValiant
Hi, i applied to hertfordshire uni last year for 3d animation whilst studying a Btec ND Multimedia y2 at Barnet College and did not get accepted and was told to do a art foundation diploma. I really wanted to get into hertfordshire as I could tell there very experienced and i know i will become the best that i can be there. I got accepted to middlesex for ba hons 3d animation and game design and i was really unsure what to do, when it came to the end of september i had to decide what to do and i decided to turn down middlesex offer because i knew that it wasnt a good course as when i went to the interview aswell my work wasnt even that gd compared to now and i still got accepted, also the course is new so it is the techers wont be that experienced, I had other friends who went to that course and when i found out what they are studying for the first year then i knew i made the right decision. So i thought i could not take a gap year because i need to make sure my portfolio is the best so i needed a 1 year at course to help me, I went to barnet college enrolment and there wasnt any place left for Art and Design Foundation Diploma and i was gutted so i went to other colleges like southgate and enfield and still full up, i didnt know what to do so I went back to barnet college as I was there the year before and my only choice was to do a btec first diploma in art and design which is a 1 year, i know that i went down from a level 3 to level 2 but i didnt have choice and the course isnt even that bad it has the same modules as a foundation diploma but not so intense and this gives me a bit more time to focus on to make for more 3d models and animations, i have got 2 actual 3d animation running for about 2 minutes and its textured, walk cycle and has camera but is that enough?, Im gonna make sure i get into hertfrodshire next year for sure and aware how difficult it is and in 2012 the governments raising the fees so everyone aint taking gap years this year,, i have got the right requiremnets MMM but people have been telling me at the interview they could raise the grade requirements is this true also thanks a lot for the information about what to put in a portfolio its been very helpful. Iv got a other question. When Im at the hertfrodshire interview for 3d animation for digital work should i show my 2d work aswell as my 3d or just 3d because i thought if the interviever saw everything i have and then if my 3d work is not good enough they could recomend me to do the 2d animation course if my 2d work is better? then im accepted into hertfrodshire. I do really want to do 3d animation or 3d Games Art instead but the other reason why i want to go to hertfordshire is that for the 2nd year you could change course if you want to so if i was on 2d course i could change. Last year interview only lasted for like 2 mins and felt very rushed, i was realy dissapointed im hoping i have atleast 15 mins this year as it says interviews will be 15 mins on hertfirdshires websites and leaflets. Could someone please read what i have to so and help me out/answer my questions. Also I havent got a C in English Gcse which hertfordshire do ask for but I got a D instead and i am retaking it this year to get a C but I heared that they let people of if they have a D if there portfolio is good enough is this true? Also here are 2 animations I have done coud someone let me know if these are good enough to show at the interview or should I make more? or just 3d models?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIx8_B9Orvs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlZ3eqMHtA

i agree i applied last year didnt get in. i thought it was VERY rushed and i came out of the intervew kind of annoyed as the leacturer never gave me any time in exsplaining my work, didnt seem even a tiny bit interested AND i had spent lyke 100 train ticket so did my grandma who came with me to have like a two min interview? was not impressd
Reply 1392
Original post by moid
There is some excellent work here, well done :smile: I'm glad you actually did something creative with the rotoscope - and you made something impressive too, we generally avoid rotoscoped animations because usually there is no story behind the work and the student can't animate which is why they've used rotoscope - you've used it for the right reason - a gigantic quantity of work to create and a limited time to do it in. I would be concerned from seeing just roto work, but your 3D walk cycle is definitely good enough for a portfolio piece, please put both in, if you are applying for one of our 3D degrees, show the 3D walk first. If you want to present it more professionally (and seeing as you have a widescreen render), take the render you already have and place it on the left or right side of the screen, then render the same walk at the same frame rate but do it from the side and place that in the empty half of the screen. Save the lot as a MOV in H264 or an MP4 and hte interviewer can scrub through your animation frame by frame to check out the motion and see it from two angles. If you can turn off the frame blending that would be lovely too.

If you could do a run cycle, or a decent run and jump and land, that would be lovely (use the same model, it's fine). If you did not build the rig/model, please credit the original author in the clip - that's fine with us for someone who is demonstrating their animation knowledge; building a working rig takes a long time and a lot of lectures! Always remember to credit the original artist - good academic and professional practice.

Put all the life drawings in the portfolio, put the colour ones first. If you are bringing scans instead of originals (we prefer originals) please take the black and white images and adjust the levels in photoshop so that the paper becomes lighter and the linework is easier to read. I like the perspective drawings, you clearly understand depth and recession.

The best images are the Arboretum park, Calke Abbey house, Building Drawing#1 and the photo of the cellar.

The 3D house is OK, but has errors in scale/proportion - look at the roof tiles, they are quite gigantic. Could you attempt to build a more interesting and complex structure? Like part of the abbey you have been drawing? Other than that it's a good selection of work, it would be nice to see some character designs if you can, or maybe take some of your drawings into Photoshop or Painter and really give them a finished painted look - transform the sketch into a fully worked up digital painting. If you have any more good photos, add them as well. Keep working :smile:

Thanks for the feedback. :smile:

To be honest while I was modelling the house, I thought I would cheat and scale the size of the roof till it fitted the whole house. I think I'll have a go at modelling the Calke Abbey house. I decided to switch from 3DS Max to Maya, so hopefully modelling the house will help me get to grips with Maya.
Reply 1393
Original post by moid
Ah some good work here! Take one or two of the dsigns and produce a model sheet in colour and to scale of them - draw front, side, back views, one character per page, that will look very good in your portfolio for any animation college. If you drew facial expression sheets and mouth shapes that would be lovely.

There are great black and white references from professionals here:

http://www.animationmeat.com/modelsheets/modelsheets.html mostly hanna barbera cartoons

http://animationarchive.net/Model%20Sheets/index.php
Disney only sheets

What sort of animation do you want to do?

Thank you very much for the helpful advice and links!

I'd be happy to do both 2D or 3D animation, although I'd imagine my lack of 3D work would suggest that applying for 2D would be a better option.

Thanks again! :smile:
ttang, just thought I'd let you know that your work seems excellent!

I've only got a few illustrations as of yet. I'm still not sure if I'm good enough to apply - so I'm torn between animation and something more straightforward like Pharmacy. Hopefully I can put together a few life drawings and animations once I've got my NEVER ENDING graphics work out of the way.

http://helloharriet.deviantart.com/

Cheers!

Your work is extremely impressive for a undergrad applicant :smile: So if animation is really what you want to do then go for it :smile: You remind me of myself, torn between animation and something more straight forward :tongue: But i knew animation was where i really wanted to be and i havent looked back! :smile:

I would advise you get some more traditional artwork into your portfolio, just to show the interviewers you're not a one-trick pony :smile: Also dont worry about lack of 3D animation. I had done none and i still got into Bournemouth. I ended up choosing UCA Farnham, which i can reccomend you have a look at. Especially if you want to do 2D & 3D because we do all media all in one animation course :smile: you can then choose where to specialise.

One little question to you :tongue: do you use Manga Studio?? :biggrin:
Reply 1395
Original post by noobcake
Your work is extremely impressive for a undergrad applicant :smile: So if animation is really what you want to do then go for it :smile: You remind me of myself, torn between animation and something more straight forward :tongue: But i knew animation was where i really wanted to be and i havent looked back! :smile:

I would advise you get some more traditional artwork into your portfolio, just to show the interviewers you're not a one-trick pony :smile: Also dont worry about lack of 3D animation. I had done none and i still got into Bournemouth. I ended up choosing UCA Farnham, which i can reccomend you have a look at. Especially if you want to do 2D & 3D because we do all media all in one animation course :smile: you can then choose where to specialise.

One little question to you :tongue: do you use Manga Studio?? :biggrin:

Ooooh, thanks very much for the feedback/advice! :smile:

I'll take a look at UCA Farnham as soon as my internet stops being so moody and slow. Talk talk, you're useless, ha.

And no, I mostly use Photoshop!

Are you still doing your course?
Ooooh, thanks very much for the feedback/advice! :smile:

I'll take a look at UCA Farnham as soon as my internet stops being so moody and slow. Talk talk, you're useless, ha.

And no, I mostly use Photoshop!

Are you still doing your course?

Yep I am :smile: and just photoshop? cool :tongue:
Reply 1397
Hello guys, sorry for not posting in a while i'm now facing my term exams and i am doing quite a lot of studying >.<

A general question for anyone who can answer it: Is the Unreal Development Kit ( UDK ) not available for Mac? I couldn't get it to work and my main PC is Mac so... :frown:

Another question: in the portfolio are they expecting to see Digital Painting? Like using software such as Photoshop or Painter, to show color composition etc?

Thank you everyone! ( Wish me luck with my exams :biggrin::biggrin:)
Hey everyone, it's been a few days since I posted on here.
I have been working really hard reading a book about anatomy for artists. Straight away I have seen my drawings improve. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some people on how I could improve and what you think.

Just judge on the last two images, the rest are understandably rubbish. So yeah, what do you think of "Shaded Life Drawing" and "Life Drawing 6"?

http://loxeni.deviantart.com/art/Shaded-Life-Drawing-185618474?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Aloxeni&qo=0#/d32ig4q
Original post by Unlimitedsoph
Hey everyone, it's been a few days since I posted on here.
I have been working really hard reading a book about anatomy for artists. Straight away I have seen my drawings improve. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some people on how I could improve and what you think.

Just judge on the last two images, the rest are understandably rubbish. So yeah, what do you think of "Shaded Life Drawing" and "Life Drawing 6"?

http://loxeni.deviantart.com/art/Shaded-Life-Drawing-185618474?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Aloxeni&qo=0#/d32ig4q

The Shaded Life Drawing is good for the most part but the man boobs ruin it a bit, it's mostly the one on the left - it shouldn't look like it's sagging and the muscle bump should be a little higher.

Quick Reply

Latest