The Student Room Group

Summer placement salary

I've got an offer for a summer placement at an engineering firm. Is it expected that I should take their first offer with regards to salary? Or is it more commonplace to negotiate?
Reply 1
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
I've got an offer for a summer placement at an engineering firm. Is it expected that I should take their first offer with regards to salary? Or is it more commonplace to negotiate?

You bite their hand off for anything they offer and be thankful it isnt a 0.

Not very common to negotiate. They'd be very unlikely to be open to such negotiations anyway.

If you're not happy with the salary offered then I would continue to look for another placement. However, salaries tend to be in the £15,000 to £20,000 range; if it's somewhere in here, you're very unlikely to find something higher elsewhere.
Original post by Reue
You bite their hand off for anything they offer and be thankful it isnt a 0.

That is a very good point lol

Original post by Smack
Not very common to negotiate. They'd be very unlikely to be open to such negotiations anyway.

If you're not happy with the salary offered then I would continue to look for another placement. However, salaries tend to be in the £15,000 to £20,000 range; if it's somewhere in here, you're very unlikely to find something higher elsewhere.

I got offered just over £14k but I remember their applications brochure said that they offered up to £17k. So, I was just wondering whether they possibly expected you to negotiate?
That is a very good point lol

I got offered just over £14k but I remember their applications brochure said that they offered up to £17k. So, I was just wondering whether they possibly expected you to negotiate?

To be honest, in that instance I would definitely enquire as to why you were offered £3000 less than the maximum. There are probably valid reasons for it, i.e. they're probably not just offering you that because they want to pay as low as they can, but it'd be worth finding out.
Original post by Smack
To be honest, in that instance I would definitely enquire as to why you were offered £3000 less than the maximum. There are probably valid reasons for it, i.e. they're probably not just offering you that because they want to pay as low as they can, but it'd be worth finding out.

Hmm, I suppose. But over three months, I'm only missing out on £750 so it's not too big an issue.

I'm still in awe from when I heard those that have summer placements in finance get £30k :eek:

I mean, that's more than most people get when they have a graduate position.
Hmm, I suppose. But over three months, I'm only missing out on £750 so it's not too big an issue.

I'm still in awe from when I heard those that have summer placements in finance get £30k :eek:

I mean, that's more than most people get when they have a graduate position.

Oil companies offer a similar intern salary. Mine is going to be £26k :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by SheldorOfAzeroth
Oil companies offer a similar intern salary. Mine is going to be £26k :biggrin:

is that ExxonMobil? They look like a decent company to work for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending