The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Switching courses

How easy is it to change courses once you have gotten into uni, I am currently deciding between two courses at Stirling, which are 'conservation biology and management' and 'ecology' both have a mix of what i want to do for a degree and in the future, which is essentially conservation work.
However my personal statement is catered purely towards the conservation degree, so my question is- if i was to apply for the conservation degree and get in (which is more likely due to my personal statement) would it be hard to change my course should I decide it isn't for me after all? I don't know how changing courses is viewed or how difficult it would be?
This is based on the fact i really like Stirling i much more than any other places offering similar degrees and the fact i am a bit more flexible in what i want to do than most people.
Thank you for your time!
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Hi Emx,

It's really easy to switch your degree, providing you have the requirements for both. I think you can change your degree until the end of 2nd year, so you have time to choose. The only thing to be careful about is you will have to sit the modules that you haven't done if you switch over.

So for example if you were accepted into Cons. Bio. & Management and your 3 modules in first semester were: Practical Skills, Building Planet Earth (Geology) and Cell Biology. Then after first semester you wanted to change to Ecology and the 3 modules from the first semester were: Practical Skills, Cell Biology and Our Blue Planet. As you are entering semester two, you will have already done Practical Skills and Cell Biology but you didn't do Blue Planet. So, you will need to take that module sometime at a later date.

I hope that makes sense. If it's too difficult to understand, message me and I will try to explain it better.

But yes, changing degree (as long it's similar to what you were doing) shouldn't be too difficult.

Calum

Quick Reply

Latest