The Student Room Group

Plagiarism

If it's your first year at university can you get into trouble if you plagiarise a lot in the first essays you write because you may have misunderstood how you are supposed to write university essays? I recently got some work back that was marked down a lot because I had loads of plagiarism in which I did not realise at the time, will I get into any further trouble other than having marks knocked off?
Reply 1
There should be some rules avialable from your uni about plagerism and how to avoid it.
Look in your uni handbook. You may get into trouble if you continue to plagiarise
A friend got called into a meeting for plagiarism, even though it was her first time, and was told she has to retake or have her grade capped at 40%. If she did it again then she could be kicked out. So yes, they do take it seriously!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm surprised your Uni didn't give you some massive lecture about this kind of thing from the moment you walked through its doors? When I was at Uni, we had to submit essays electronically to Turnitin, which checks for plagiarism. It's very serious. You just need to put stuff into your own words and reference properly. It's not that hard not to plagiarise.
Reply 5
BellaMoss, it is not a joke. Schools, colleges, and universities consider plagiarism as a very serious offence. I know some educational institutions that even have their own academic committees who police plagiarism. Uni can suspend students for their first plagiarism violation and expel for any further offences. I really recommend to scan your paper through plag detection service.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest