The Student Room Group

Impact of Studying at Different Universities

This question has been bugging me for a while throughout my application and I haven't been able to find the answer to it.

What are the exact differences in studying at different universities?
I'm sorry if this is weirdly phrased, I also hope this has been posted in the right section :frown:. For example I'm applying for comp sci/ soft engi courses for next year, how would going to one university differ from another?

For instance, is it simply the quality of teaching that will differ? Will simply attending a more prestigious university make much difference later in life even if my grades are the same as somebody from a less prestigious university?
Reply 1
The course will vary. You might do only slightly different topics, or whole modules could be different. For example, with something like history the focus could be more on certain periods of time.

Teaching methods could be all lecture based at one uni, but require seminars and tutorials at another.

Some unis give you more free choice. You might get to choose optional modules from other subjects. Other unis will have very strict required modules so you don't get to choose.

The environment is different. You might prefer to stay in a big city or be by the sea.

Price of accommodation will vary. This might be important to you if you need to stick to a budget. Quality of accommodation and include facilities can also vary. Some unis can't guarantee all first years will get a room in halls. Others will but you might be far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Some ideas here about the sort of things you need to consider : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

The most important thing to think about is ' Where will I feel happiest?' - because being happy, fitting in and enjoying the subject you are doing are the things that will get you a good degree result, and make you feel proud of what you have achieved.

PS. There is nothing to stop you taking a year out and thinking about this more calmly and carefully. Who says you have to go to Uni this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending