The Student Room Group

How Many Years Do the Student Loans Company Fund You? - Help Needed

Hello, I have an enquiry regarding student Loans and would really appreciate if anyone would take their time to answer this question please.

I am in the process of applying via UCAS for a (top-up) BSc (Hons) course for 2015 September. Instead of going straight into the third final year for my degree, I have to join the second years because my chosen University have said I have to apply for their second year if I want to study my desired course.

I have already received the Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Maintenance Grants for the previous two years of HND. I would like to know would I be funded if I apply for another 2 years of study for the full degree. Would I be entitled for Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Maintenance Grants for the 2 years I am about to study.

I have already contacted Student Finance about this and some woman has said I would receive the length of my course + 1 'false start' year - any years I have done.

I didn’t understand the above and asked her to explain it again which she replied with annoyed tone of voice what’s their not to understand. So I didn’t bother and thanked her for her help and hanged-up. It was probably was my fault that she was annoyed because I’m too stupid to understand :frown:.

From my understanding I would be funded for the two years for the full degree if I join the second year, but will need to self-fund for any resits, or I won’t be funded for the third final year if I fail my second year and have to take a resit?

So can somebody help me for the above question please? So I don’t have to call them again (likely will need too). Sorry for any grammar mistakes and thank you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
OK, well it's probably not good news, I'm afraid. We can feed your details into the calculation you were given. The detailed form of it is:

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of entitlement to SF funding.

Your new course will be 2 years long. You have already studied at uni level for 2 years. So the calculation gives you 2-2+1=1 year of SF funding remaining. This will be given in the second year of your top-up course. You will have to fund the first year yourself (including tuition fees) yourself, apart from a minimum SF Maintenance Loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending