The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saikhan
Gaahhh.. I feel as if it's too late to order something like that. I feel like it's just going to confuse me even more :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its written by the same people who wrote the big text book
It wont confuse you at all...its the big text booj condensed.
Mass media is not a difficult topic. It was an AS unit until 2008.
Reply 182
Haven't postmodernism and social policy been removed from the syllabus?
Ahhh im retaking the crime and deviance module and I haven't even started. Why did I think two weeks was enough time?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Dani
Haven't postmodernism and social policy been removed from the syllabus?

nope. pomo is the most contemporary sociological/philosophical theory, it is weaved throughout the whole A level

Social policy is weaved in throughout the A level and exists as a stand alone topic.

As a 33 mark question it has not been asked post 2008 after all A levels were re-written, this doesn't mean it will not come up
Original post by Tarnybxxx
Ahhh im retaking the crime and deviance module and I haven't even started. Why did I think two weeks was enough time?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've got just over two months so if you start you'll be fine!
Yeah i reckon social policy, postmodernism/late modernism or realism might come up in theories and methods seeing as they haven't for a while if ever. But again you never know what they're going to throw in there. I actually quite like the methods in context questions though, pretty much the only part of this subject I'm not too worried about!!
Also, thinking about it has suicide come up in a while in crime and deviance??
Does anyone know anything about the functionalist stratifiction theory?

God I'm going to do so well in these exams >.<
Reply 187
Ah great, I haven't even been taught that :frown:
I have a feeling suicide will come up this year for c&d. It's getting removed from the syllabus, there hasn't been a question on it and also "students hate the topic". All the more reason to put it in! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by catsRgr8
Yeah i reckon social policy, postmodernism/late modernism or realism might come up in theories and methods seeing as they haven't for a while if ever. But again you never know what they're going to throw in there. I actually quite like the methods in context questions though, pretty much the only part of this subject I'm not too worried about!!

Oh yes thank god haha! I checked the exam date in my panicy state last night. 18th June right?

Well, last year, the reason I got a C on the paper was because I focused on all those you have mentioned. I also thought they would come up but no! Feminism came up hahaa! I do not know what to think, the examiners seem to love feminism.

I like methods in context too I still can remember it from last year!

I do not think so but my old teacher is going to send me some tips and I will tell you them as soon as I get them. He was spot on last year apart from feminism in C&D :frown:
Reply 190
Original post by pikachupotter
Does anyone know anything about the functionalist stratifiction theory?

God I'm going to do so well in these exams >.<

They believe that society is meritocratic and that the class system helps people find their right role in society. The most important positions must be filled by the brightest people.

Parsons - stratification is inevitable and it evaluates individuals in terms of common social values. It reinforces the collective goals of society and establishes order.

Davis and Moore - role allocation makes the most able and talented do the most important jobs. Inequalities in rewards, such as pay, are essential to motivate the best people to take on the most important roles which require lots of training, high rewards compensate the time spent in education and training :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by darcw27
They believe that society is meritocratic and that the class system helps people find their right role in society. The most important positions must be filled by the brightest people.

Parsons - stratification is inevitable and it evaluates individuals in terms of common social values. It reinforces the collective goals of society and establishes order.

Davis and Moore - role allocation makes the most able and talented do the most important jobs. Inequalities in rewards, such as pay, are essential to motivate the best people to take on the most important roles which require lots of training, high rewards compensate the time spent in education and training :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I don't recall any of that, but I guess it's time I really knuckle down and do some revising
I think it was in this thread someone asked for an exemplar A2 methods essay. One of my students did this.

Methods aidan qualitiative research.pdf
Original post by catsRgr8

suicide came up in 2012 i think

can you help with methods and context....like how do you answer the question? what technique do you use?
Hey guys, just wondering how far people have gotten with revision so I can stop panicking. I should have finished all of mass media (SCLY3) by this weekend. I'm not sure if this is good progress? :/ Some reassurance would be awesome :smile: xxxx
Original post by xxvine
Good you are doing C&D....

Is there a point revising things that came up last year.....?
Like Feminism, Green crime etc....

I'm going to revise them all because they have repeated topics in the past. However, there are only two more exams in this specification and they have not included a question on Postmodernism and Social Policy - I think.
Original post by xxvine
suicide came up in 2012 i think

can you help with methods and context....like how do you answer the question? what technique do you use?

Methods aidan qualitiative research.pdf

one of my students wrote this. It's an A.

Remember you have about 20 minutes only
Use the pervert mneomic.

Practical
Ethical
Reliable
Valid
Examples
Representative
Theoretical
Original post by sophiesmout
I'm going to revise them all because they have repeated topics in the past. However, there are only two more exams in this specification and they have not included a question on Postmodernism and Social Policy - I think.

My teacher hasnt taught us postmodernism or social policy yet. I don't understand why she's left it so late.. I don't even understand what social policy is.. In the Ken Browne book it had like 6 pages, how on earth are we supposed to condense that into 2 pages??? 😢
Original post by Stephaniecamille
My teacher hasnt taught us postmodernism or social policy yet. I don't understand why she's left it so late.. I don't even understand what social policy is.. In the Ken Browne book it had like 6 pages, how on earth are we supposed to condense that into 2 pages??? 😢

Social policy and it's relationship to sociology

Government tackles social problems, sociologists look at sociological problems.

What is the purpose of sociology - to theorise or to offer explanations of social problems?

Examples: giddens invented third way politics which is very influential in new labour - you did this in structuration theory sure start every child matters etc

Left realism and it's influence on new labour approach to tackling crime again a kind of structuratin theory

Right realism and their approach to crime , dependant culture, Crime reduction

Functionalism and the role of social policy - fletcher

Feminism very influential - all that stuff u did in education and family

Interactionism - teacher training in education

Marxism - way too radical even for the labour party

Postmodernists view social policy as another form of surveillance...knowledge power foucualt, child protection etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending