The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kikess_
oooo do you mind sending me it please?:colondollar:

Just PM me your email address and I will :smile: file too big to put as an attachment in the forum
Original post by Husnara_a
Social policy as a 33 marker will always be on the debate 'should sociology inform social policy', not social policy on society. You can talk about how sociology has informed social policy, such as the black report, but then you evaluate that with saying sociology may not be able to inform it due to practical reasons etc. Back these up w/ theory, so functionalists and left realists would favour it, use examples such as a meritocratic education system & neighbourhood watch etc. Marxists, feminists, new right would say no with each due to their own reasons. You can use examples from today, but that's not necessary.

Postmodernism: modernity, globalisation and how it's lead to change, postmodernity; lyotard & braudillard. Evaluate with giddens and beck. Sorry it's short, message me if you have any questions. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Marxism is a better critique of postmodernism than the late modernity/high capitalism of Giddens and Beck
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any predictions for SCLY 3-religion & SCLY 4-C & D? Apologies if this has already been discussed in previous threads as I am new to this forum.
Reply 583
Original post by risteard
couple of things i use with my students

globalisation and pomo are linked, pomo would not have happened without globalisation

You need to get a handle on it as it is relevant in just about every essay response

I have an essay plan on functionalism and social policies (family), Marxism and their policies and realist policies,is this wrong then?
Original post by deenelson
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any predictions for SCLY 3-religion & SCLY 4-C & D? Apologies if this has already been discussed in previous threads as I am new to this forum.

For me...

Social action theories (theory and method)
Posmodernism (theory and method)

Science as an ideloogy(beliefs)
NAM (beliefs)

haven't thought about crime yet.

Just started the revision with my students
Original post by _Dani
I have an essay plan on functionalism and social policies (family), Marxism and their policies and realist policies,is this wrong then?

No, sounds alright.

Needs something about the purpose of sociology as well though and Marxist and postmodernist views of social policy/welfare state
Is sociology about the production of knowledge for the sake of knowledge production (a type of philosophy, a purely intellectual endeavour)

or

Is it about the production of knowledge as a means of changing the world through the accumulation of empirical facts and theoretical interpretations of these facts

or

Is it a form of surveillance that disproportionately places women, children and the working class more generally under the microscope
For me...

Social action theories (theory and method)
Posmodernism (theory and method)

Science as an ideloogy(beliefs)
NAM (beliefs)

haven't thought about crime yet.

Just started the revision with my students

Thanks I appreciate your insight 😁
Reply 588
No, sounds alright.

Needs something about the purpose of sociology as well though and Marxist and postmodernist views of social policy/welfare state

Okay, thank you so much, you are literally a God send!!
has anyone got any predictions on what will come up on the unit 3 beliefs in society paper?
Original post by _Dani
Okay, thank you so much, you are literally a God send!![/

no worries
This might be useful to yiz, all in one place.

I found the essay plan, not as full as one i would do...but its a start

remember 3 1/2 to 4 pages for 33 marks

Best wishes
Reply 592
Does anyone know if a question directly on the neo-marxist perspective on crime can be asked?
What stats do we need to remember for unit 3 beliefs? Like secularisation stats etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Husnara_a
As long as you get some done before the exam, it is 60% of our A2 grade. But, that does depend on what grade you're going for lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol i wanted to get an A cos that's what i got last year but I focused too much on my other subjects and realise i hardly know anything for sociology lol. Good thing I'm not going to uni next year 😂 gives me retake time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any essay plans for 18 markers for Beliefs in Society - struggling so much with this unit :frown:
Original post by diamondluck
Lol i wanted to get an A cos that's what i got last year but I focused too much on my other subjects and realise i hardly know anything for sociology lol. Good thing I'm not going to uni next year 😂 gives me retake time

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you taking a gap year?
Hi everyone, i need someone to explain phenomenology to me. I just don't understand it, i have looked at 2 text books and listened to a bbd podcast but it all sounds like they are saying a bunch of stuff without saying anything.
Original post by muhsin18
Hi everyone, i need someone to explain phenomenology to me. I just don't understand it, i have looked at 2 text books and listened to a bbd podcast but it all sounds like they are saying a bunch of stuff without saying anything.

It's a branch of philosophy that came into sociology via Edmund husserl.

If you look back to the last page where i outline interprevetism versus positivism it is essentially the interprevetist bit.

Social order is maintained through shared meaning - a trans personal phenomenology. This meaning is subjective but appears objective or real as we learn it's rules through language - a system of signs. Typifications relate to the real but that real is am interpretation.

AO2. There is an objective material world that exists outside conciousness as we can access it through the senses and therefore prove it's existence - empiricism/positivism

Hope this helps
Reply 599
Hi , for secularisation in unit 3 would the argument of a spiritual revolution and increase in new age beliefs be an argument for seculariation ( because they are alternative to traditional religion) or against ( because they are still a type of belief and increasing ) ? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending