The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kmohazeb
I certainly have revised over the plans you have sent me, thank you for them. But,the more sources one has the better the revision will be. We all have different ways of revising and I don't think it's good to judge how people study.

preach itttt!
Original post by xxvine
I disagree

came up in Jan 2013!

that was in unit 4 not unit 3
you never really know with aqa they could ask whatever they please you just gotta revise it all. they've asked how religion inhibits social change twice in the last few years so i'm hoping for a reverse of that :redface:
wouldn't mind something on ideology
lets pray for something straightforward like functionalism.. hasn't come up in a few years
Original post by SamuelSingleton
that was in unit 4 not unit 3
you never really know with aqa they could ask whatever they please you just gotta revise it all. they've asked how religion inhibits social change twice in the last few years so i'm hoping for a reverse of that :redface:
wouldn't mind something on ideology
lets pray for something straightforward like functionalism.. hasn't come up in a few years

Is Ideology topic 7?

Hate functionalism too much to remember

Actually i disagree
Obviously in a dream world its best to learn everything but I guess it depends if you want to take a massive risk.
Has AQA ever repeated 33 markers?
Original post by xxvine
Is Ideology topic 7?

Hate functionalism too much to remember

Actually i disagree
Obviously in a dream world its best to learn everything but I guess it depends if you want to take a massive risk.
Has AQA ever repeated 33 markers?

It seems to ME that AQA (for scly3 at least) tend to ask the 33 mark question with the option focused on a perspective or 2, OR some form of religion be it NAM NRMs etc
they've cycled the religion as a conservative force/social change one 3 times in the past papers over the last 5 years or so! functionalism last came up in 2012, whereas marxist and feminist were the previous 2 years ?

sorry missed the first part of your question, not sure what topic numbers they are i don't revise from textbooks but ideology is part of religion, i think it's just science marxism and feminism ? i might be wrong though
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 784
It seems to ME that AQA (for scly3 at least) tend to ask the 33 mark question with the option focused on a perspective or 2, OR some form of religion be it NAM NRMs etc
they've cycled the religion as a conservative force/social change one 3 times in the past papers over the last 5 years or so! functionalism last came up in 2012, whereas marxist and feminist were the previous 2 years ?

sorry missed the first part of your question, not sure what topic numbers they are i don't revise from textbooks but ideology is part of religion, i think it's just science marxism and feminism ? i might be wrong though

Yeah ideology is topic 7. Btw

I think functionalism came up last year.. The questions seems like it's based around functionalism but that's just me. Check it out
Original post by Bsm_x

I think functionalism came up last year.. The questions seems like it's based around functionalism but that's just me. Check it out

i would probably interpret that as conservative force vs force for social change, but yeah i agree definitely functionalist based
hmm maybe something on ideology or nrms is imminent !
Original post by Bsm_x

Functionalism never came up
It was Feminism!
would it be naive to focus less attention on feminism would you say? obviously revise the basics for contrast and evaluative points but i can't see them recycling the same question 2 years in a row when this spec will only last for 1 final year after, there's so many points they still haven't tested..
would it be naive to focus less attention on feminism would you say? obviously revise the basics for contrast and evaluative points but i can't see them recycling the same question 2 years in a row when this spec will only last for 1 final year after, there's so many points they still haven't tested..

I think that would be very smart

I am 90% it won't come up again. AQA so far have NEVER repeated a qu that came up the year before.

I can't see Feminism being the 33 marker this year and my teacher says the same. she said functionalism, marxism, and feminism are all unlikely to come up.

she thinks social policy will be the 33 marker
Is it just me who thinks the 2014 June paper was really easy compared to other years?

Oh I wish I sat the paper last year....It was Feminism for bother 33 markers:frown:
Original post by xxvine
What you taking a gap year? Your so lucky
have you applied for uni?
i am scared as I need an A and my uni SOAS have offered me a place
damn

Yeah I'm taking a gap year to just work and retake some exams, trying to save up some money haha since it will be difficult to work during uni. Anyway, yeah i got an A last year and i doubt i will get it this year :frown: c&d seems alright but i hate unit 3! And research methods is confusing the pickles out of me, all this methodology crap hahaha.

Haha I'm sure you'll get the A dw hun. Congrats on the uni place xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diamondluck
Yeah I'm taking a gap year to just work and retake some exams, trying to save up some money haha since it will be difficult to work during uni. Anyway, yeah i got an A last year and i doubt i will get it this year :frown: c&d seems alright but i hate unit 3! And research methods is confusing the pickles out of me, all this methodology crap hahaha.

Haha I'm sure you'll get the A dw hun. Congrats on the uni place xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks

Doubt it tbh. Got an A in the family paper and a B in the education paper. Need to do really well in A2 to stand any chance!
Original post by Kmohazeb
I don't understand what harm there is for me to post questions here. I'm not posing any threat to you...If I don't understand something, I simply don't...what's the problem?

Yes. You are right.

I'm sorry :smile:

Was tired after a day if revision classes.

:smile:
I don't understand what people mean by social policy for the 33 marker. What would you include? Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point is that they are all ideologies and knowledge claims, you just have illustrate how they differ in their claim to explain the world as they see it.

Yes, I'd agree that nam/NRM comes up with some regularity. The thing to remember is that even we sociologists are slightly confused by it given the vagueness of some of the examples and how they apply to the typology. I am marking scly3 this year and I will be giving students the benefit of the doubt

Hope this helps
Original post by Lizzie_Rose
I don't understand what people mean by social policy for the 33 marker. What would you include? Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I sent u an exemplar for that.

What is sociology and what is its role?
A closed debating shop that produces knowledge for the sake of knowledge much like philosophy does (it could be argued)
A systematic way of collecting and evaluating empirical data so that society can be improved (this was the point of all subjects out of the modern period )
Examples of how sociology has influenced social policy - your course is littered with them.
Different sociological approaches to the role of social policy functionalism marxism etc
You must discuss how giddens developed weberian ism to produce third way politics and practically invented new labour with his structuration theory - examples of this in practice are sure start.
End with post modern perspective of social policy and it's rile in population surveillance according to postmodernism - go all the way back to the emlightemenment with foucault and more recently with every child matters....

Hope this helps
How does postmodernism criticise the Marxist concept of "false class consciousness" ????
Original post by risteard
I think I sent u an exemplar for that.

What is sociology and what is its role?
A closed debating shop that produces knowledge for the sake of knowledge much like philosophy does (it could be argued)
A systematic way of collecting and evaluating empirical data so that society can be improved (this was the point of all subjects out of the modern period )
Examples of how sociology has influenced social policy - your course is littered with them.
Different sociological approaches to the role of social policy functionalism marxism etc
You must discuss how giddens developed weberian ism to produce third way politics and practically invented new labour with his structuration theory - examples of this in practice are sure start.
End with post modern perspective of social policy and it's rile in population surveillance according to postmodernism - go all the way back to the emlightemenment with foucault and more recently with every child matters....

Hope this helps

Yeah that does help a lot thank you, I never received the email with the exemplar answer though. So I could include a lot of New Right and their policies towards education too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizzie_Rose
Yeah that does help a lot thank you, I never received the email with the exemplar answer though. So I could include a lot of New Right and their policies towards education too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed as well as family and right realism in crime reduction.

Can you inbox me your email again and I will send u the social policy bits and bobs tonight when I am home.

Best wishes
Original post by Vxckyy_
How does postmodernism criticise the Marxist concept of "false class consciousness" ????

Traditional marxism suggests we have no agency/freewill

Hegemonic or neo marxism suggests we have some see paul Willis study learning to labour

Postmodernism suggests we have full agency we are knowing beings with choices - called the subjective turn

Marxist critique suggests that choice is primarily based on your level of economic capital

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending