The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Husnara_a
I hate this subject, you all seem to know a lot. D: I'm literally wishing for realist theories (i love them), and human rights and state crime. A 33 marker on social policy would be lovely. ANYTHING BUT POSTMODERNISM I HATE IT SO MUCH D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

a lot of people reckon social policy may come up!! its not that batted :smile:
anyone have any advice on how to structure a 21 marker? :smile:
any predictions for unit 3 beliefs in society?
Original post by risteard
No.

If the question is about social action theories -weber, interactionism, phenomenology and ethnomethedology - then you compare them with structural theories - functionalism, marxism and feminism

You would refer to the methodological sides of those theories - interprevetism and postivism

An a*student would see the link between interactionism and a later interpretive theory -postmodernism and would end with that theory and show how it links back to interactionism but how they differ when it comes to establishing 'the truth'.

would you be able to explain ethnomethodology? i really don't get it :frown:
Original post by Staff596
oh so it is essentially a question on left/right realists?
In my notes i have just got stuff on labour/conservative policies.
What would the general content of this 21 marker include?

I sent you an essay plan to answer that question...i think :smile:
Original post by cazcams
Guys I'm really feeling:
-locality difference in social distribution of crime
-social action theories of crime
-realist theories of crime
-human rights/state crime
as potential 21 markers

For the theory/methods 33 mark question, I think a straight theory for the 3rd year running iais really unlikely. Likely possibilities are:
-positivist research methods
-sociology and values
-sociology and social policy (which would be an absolute nightmare)

What is everyone else thinking? And is anyone else leaving out last years topics all together (or going for selective revision based on their predictions)?

I agree with this especially the 21 mark. I think human rights and state crime could come up as one of the questions. Also for the 33 mark I think social action theory or social policy may come up..
I sent you an essay plan to answer that question...i think :smile:

Oh right I'll have a quick look in a moment, do you know it's tittle?

Does anyone know how many possible essays there are for c+d and what theyre all called?
I'm going to try and make sure I have a plan for all of them but unfortunately my teacher hasn't made a list or anything stating what all the possible ones are and I am having a hard time working them out.
Oh right I'll have a quick look in a moment, do you know it's tittle?

Does anyone know how many possible essays there are for c+d and what theyre all called?
I'm going to try and make sure I have a plan for all of them but unfortunately my teacher hasn't made a list or anything stating what all the possible ones are and I am having a hard time working them out.

It's called right realist essay plan.

I did it for when there were 12 markers

Just weave in the left realist evaluations

Post it on here so I can have a look and others can download it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's called right realist essay plan.

I did it for when there were 12 markers

Just weave in the left realist evaluations

Post it on here so I can have a look and others can download it :smile:

Do you know how I attatch the file?
Does anyone have any good notes on official statistics and documents please????
Do you know how I attatch the file?

It's the paperclip icon
(edited 8 years ago)
could a science question come up as a 21 marker? (sounds like a daft question, but I'm just making sure!)
Original post by amunbal
any predictions for unit 3 beliefs in society?

I've been told: science, globalisation, fundamentalism and maybe social groups.

Science and ideology came up as a 33 marker in June 2012 so I'm thinking maybe science as a belief system as, as far as I'm aware, its never come up before
Fundamentalism is quite likely....

The answer lies in:

Secularisation
Globalisation
Postmodernism
Original post by chescaxx

Science and ideology came up as a 33 marker in June 2012 so I'm thinking maybe science as a belief system as, as far as I'm aware, its never come up before

Should it come up....

The point is that all three are essentially belief systems not just religion, that is a postmodern position.
Reply 995
Anyone have predictions for mass media?
Reply 996
does anybody have any essay plans on the 33 marker theories question for scly4 they could send me? thank you!
Original post by chescaxx

What's the difference between science as a belief system and ideology? Cause I thought ideology was a set of beliefs lol
Original post by advent
What's the difference between science as a belief system and ideology? Cause I thought ideology was a set of beliefs lol

From the layout of the Keith Trobe textbook ive assumed that its sort of two sub-topics under science. So it depends on the style of the question i suppose!
Original post by advent

Both claim to be open belief systems but when put under the microscope share many of the charcteriatics of religious belief systems.

It's a postmodern argument

The AO2 is that science and ideologies is that they are based on some level of evidence whereas religion is based on faith.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending