The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 3mmz
Yep please do!

So we won't lose out on marks if we do this?
Original post by alconnow
Is anyone doing mass media for unit 3???

Me :smile:
Original post by Bonica
Do you get less marks if they find out in your exam you've wrote a page or two learnt of by heart from the internet?

not a bad idea, but yeah probs :frown:

I am
For a punishment essay question would the functionalist, Marxist and postmodernist views on the functions and forms be enough for the 21 markers?
For a punishment essay question would the functionalist, Marxist and postmodernist views on the functions and forms be enough for the 21 markers?

Yes. Make sure you mention the new labour stuff such as asbos tagging, community sentences, relate back to those three theories
Original post by kikess_
Can anyone help me answer this question please for beliefs? Or help with a structure/ plan ?
"Using material from item A and elsewhere examine the view that cults and sects have taken the place of established churches as the most important religious spiritual movement in society today"(June 2010)
And "using material from item a and elsewhere assess the view that whilst the Church of England is declining other religious and spiritual movements are flourishing"
Really struggling to structure these two essays..so if anyone has any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I would start with talking about yes cults and sects more popular than church because of dissolutionment with traditional religion with if been seen as outdated, irrelevant, boring, negative (with science as a replacement and traditional religion seen as having negative effects EG ISIS) and 'uncool' (Bruce) especially with certain social groups like younger people as a result of media

Maybe talk about influence of feminism meaning in modern society traditional religion reflects idea women should be subordinate etc with women confined to only certain roles so women joining cults and sects - Bruce twice as many women involved in sects then maybe evaluate with secularisation and idea women leaving cults and sects and traditional religion

Could talk about sects and cults in globalised society more appealing in uncertain world and with relative deprivation, marginality , universe of meaning undermined (Wilson)etc
Postmodernism - pick and mix, more choice etc

Sorry this is so rambley haha! Hope it helps slightly :smile:
For the 18m because its 12m AO2 and 6m AO1- does that mean you have to argue against the statement mostly?
Original post by chl0ejasminee
For the 18m because its 12m AO2 and 6m AO1- does that mean you have to argue against the statement mostly?

Yes, or give supporting evidence/theory for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1190
Original post by risteard
Realism

Globalisation and crime

Do you have any exemplar 33mark essays on intrepretivist?
Original post by Husnara_a
Yes, or give supporting evidence/theory for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Original post by steeeephtaylor
Here are my teachers predictions:

SCLY3:
- Functionalism (33 marker)
- Secularisation (33 marker)
- Postmodernity (33 marker)
- Fundamentalism (18 marker)
- Age and religion
- Social groups, ethnicity and class
- Cults & sects
- Social change

SCLY4:
- Ethnicity & crime
- Crime reduction strategies
- State crime
- Age, crime and victimisation
- Social action theories
- Postmodernism (33 marker)
- Functionalism (33 marker)
- Social policy
- Sociology and science

Hope this helps, he correctly predicted the questions for SCLY1 and SCLY2 in AS so I trust him. :smile:

Did functionalism come up in scly 1/2 xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chrissie19913
Did functionalism come up in scly 1/2 xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

In SCLY2, yes it did.
Original post by steeeephtaylor
X

What would we write for "age, crime and victimisation"? I never new there was a focus on age?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predictions for SCLY3
Or SCLY4?

By the way, I got full UMS last year in sociology if anyone wants me to help them out I'm always willing :smile:
Original post by Economicsgirl08
Predictions for SCLY3
Or SCLY4?

By the way, I got full UMS last year in sociology if anyone wants me to help them out I'm always willing :smile:

scly 4- 33 marker social policy or globalisation and postmodernity
21 markers- realist theories/ labelling theory also a chance of suicide and ethnic differences or gender (female) crime
will they repeat questions? there are a few questions aqa are still yet to ask, such as HR & SC, as well as realist theories.

considering there's only one year left on this spec after this, they would want to test everything wouldn't they?
Original post by Husnara_a
will they repeat questions? there are a few questions aqa are still yet to ask, such as HR & SC, as well as realist theories.

considering there's only one year left on this spec after this, they would want to test everything wouldn't they?

they have repeated questions in the past, i hope they dont as im revising the topics that has never came up
Original post by marx123
they have repeated questions in the past, i hope they dont as im revising the topics that has never came up

what about since the specification updated in Jan 2012? They haven't repeated since then...

dw, i'm prioritising them too.
this subject will be death of me, rip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending