The Student Room Group

Would you date a transgender person?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Munrot07
From a biological perspective "Mother nature made a mistake" is pretty much right. Obviously there is no mythical "mother nature" who controls this but it is insanely easy to have a small change in your genetic code that could cause this (though we don't know what causes it). There is nothing wrong with it or bad or unnatural it is just a small change that occurs. Saying that, it could be environmental, as I said we really don't know.

What you have to ask is, why wouldn't it be possible? Think about how complex the brain is and how complex the body is. Why wont there be changes and differences? It is a really interesting topic, especially if you look at it from a view point of not what is morally right and wrong but what are the straight hard facts. Like we know homosexuality is not a human invention that occurs due to something "weird" in us or people "catching" it through propaganda of the gays (i struggle to see why people think this -_- ) because it occurs in nature. In fact, bats are the gayest species on the planet, not humans and homosexuality occurs in loads of species.

All these differences in sexualities and sexual identities are just that, differences, like any other difference in personal taste. If you think about it, knowing you are in the wrong body isn't that strange. It could be that you have a male body and genes that code for male genitalia but something in the coding for the brain made it into one that is more similar in function to how the female brain works or a change in hormone distribution and quantitative and qualitative changes in hormones. There are definitely some far "weirder" tastes out there such as being into pain and receiving pain. The body is designed to give you pain as a "oi, stop doing that, it's not good for you" signal but you do it anyway or conditions like anorexia where you end up starving yourself, depriving yourself of one of the most important things you need to survive. Why would those come about? Again, genetic problems, hormone problems etc.

I could go on for ages but while we do not know the true cause of things like transgenderism and homosexuality we do have hard facts about them and cause use that to understand what the actual thing is and hopefully one day we will know the cause too. You never know, it may be something as simple as what causes us all to have different coloured eyes, or have a different favourite food or it could be something really complex.

Could NOT have said it better myself..you beat me to writing this post lol. Maybe this is why I've chosen genetics as my degree, anything is possible in that realm.

Gotta confess I used to be one of those "mother nature can't be making mistakes" and "bisexuals are just greedy" bull****ters, albeit it has been like 5 years since I've thought that way (19 now) but I still feel guilty for my ignorance. My only wish is that those who choose to voice these sorts of cliche comments try to comprehend what is actually being said. If mother nature wasn't making her lil mistakes aka mutations, we wouldn't be around chatting on this thread right now.

And OP, the way you like your genitals will be the least of my concerns if you caught my eye.
Reply 61
Original post by Munrot07
From a biological perspective "Mother nature made a mistake" is pretty much right. Obviously there is no mythical "mother nature" who controls this but it is insanely easy to have a small change in your genetic code that could cause this (though we don't know what causes it). There is nothing wrong with it or bad or unnatural it is just a small change that occurs. Saying that, it could be environmental, as I said we really don't know.

What you have to ask is, why wouldn't it be possible? Think about how complex the brain is and how complex the body is. Why wont there be changes and differences? It is a really interesting topic, especially if you look at it from a view point of not what is morally right and wrong but what are the straight hard facts. Like we know homosexuality is not a human invention that occurs due to something "weird" in us or people "catching" it through propaganda of the gays (i struggle to see why people think this -_- ) because it occurs in nature. In fact, bats are the gayest species on the planet, not humans and homosexuality occurs in loads of species.

All these differences in sexualities and sexual identities are just that, differences, like any other difference in personal taste. If you think about it, knowing you are in the wrong body isn't that strange. It could be that you have a male body and genes that code for male genitalia but something in the coding for the brain made it into one that is more similar in function to how the female brain works or a change in hormone distribution and quantitative and qualitative changes in hormones. There are definitely some far "weirder" tastes out there such as being into pain and receiving pain. The body is designed to give you pain as a "oi, stop doing that, it's not good for you" signal but you do it anyway or conditions like anorexia where you end up starving yourself, depriving yourself of one of the most important things you need to survive. Why would those come about? Again, genetic problems, hormone problems etc.

I could go on for ages but while we do not know the true cause of things like transgenderism and homosexuality we do have hard facts about them and cause use that to understand what the actual thing is and hopefully one day we will know the cause too. You never know, it may be something as simple as what causes us all to have different coloured eyes, or have a different favourite food or it could be something really complex.

Yeah makes sense. I was anyway abt to google it after my exams and do some more research cause it's quite interesting topic from scientific point of view. However, if it's a change in DNA code, a so called mutation than we may as well call transsexualism something abnormal, such as sickle anaemia being small change in our genetic code. Not people's fault they have it but yet it may not be correct.
As to the enjoying pain bit it's actually sth I can understand as I like sexual pain. It's hard to explain...it's not the actual pain that makes you excited but the idea that someone is causing it to you. Being vulnerable,exposed and completely under someone's control is what turns you on. Pain is just a way of experiencing it. Like, majority of painful things I can do to myself at my own but then it's just painful and by enjoyable
Original post by Nottie
Yeah makes sense. I was anyway abt to google it after my exams and do some more research cause it's quite interesting topic from scientific point of view. However, if it's a change in DNA code, a so called mutation than we may as well call transsexualism something abnormal, such as sickle anaemia being small change in our genetic code. Not people's fault they have it but yet it may not be correct.
As to the enjoying pain bit it's actually sth I can understand as I like sexual pain. It's hard to explain...it's not the actual pain that makes you excited but the idea that someone is causing it to you. Being vulnerable,exposed and completely under someone's control is what turns you on. Pain is just a way of experiencing it. Like, majority of painful things I can do to myself at my own but then it's just painful and by enjoyable

Mutation doesn't mean bad or abnormal it is just a change. Evolution works b6 mutations in the genetic code occurring which are actually beneficial to the organism. Anyway, as I said, we don't know it is a change in the genetic code. It may just be a series of genes that were inherited and if you get these certain selection of genes you are transgender.

I just used the pain thing as an example (and it still holds true, even if it is the fact you like being under someone elses control your body still wouldn't want you receiving any pain and get you to stop, so it wouldn't want you being turned on by someone controlling you. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it but it still doesn't quite make biological sense). However, what you said should help in your understanding. I don't like pain or being controlled, it doesn't make sense to me, in fact I hate it if anyone even slightly hurts me in bed. You do like it so to you it is very normal and a very possible thing. Exactly the same for a transgender person. You are not transgender so you can't possibly know what it is like and why they think like that but to them it's just who they are. There are loads of things which one wont understand because one doesn't have it so can never truly appreciate what it is like to have it.

Original post by Beri
Could NOT have said it better myself..you beat me to writing this post lol. Maybe this is why I've chosen genetics as my degree, anything is possible in that realm.

Gotta confess I used to be one of those "mother nature can't be making mistakes" and "bisexuals are just greedy" bull****ters, albeit it has been like 5 years since I've thought that way (19 now) but I still feel guilty for my ignorance. My only wish is that those who choose to voice these sorts of cliche comments try to comprehend what is actually being said. If mother nature wasn't making her lil mistakes aka mutations, we wouldn't be around chatting on this thread right now.

And OP, the way you like your genitals will be the least of my concerns if you caught my eye.

Ah, I am currently doing a biology degree myself (with my real passion being in evolution).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy
I am a girl who has a male body, and although I want to have the physical transition when I'm older, I am always worried that it will be super hard to find a boyfriend.

So, would you date a woman who was assigned male at birth, or a man who was assigned female at birth? (depending on your sexual preference of course)

And if not, why not? :smile:

I wish that I was that kind of person, but no. Mainly because I'm really not into mixed bodies (shemales, don't mind them but to be honest, I'd rather have sex with a female); although, if you have a male body + you're gay then I don't care about if you were originally a female or whatever; On the other hand, not many people who transition end up dating the same sex, they're usually heterosexuals and not homosexuals. That might change in the future but it's highly unlikely.
yes, male to female trans hit me up
Original post by Mankytoes
No, the reason I gave the quote was because yours was along similar lines, his is just more blatent (self identifying pansexuals tend to be the worst for this). It's this idea that being bisexual is reflective of being more open minded, more free of what society is telling you to think, not caring about what a person is, than other sexualities. In reality, it just means you are attracted to men and women.

I'm not giving that quote to say all bisexual people are like that, just to explain why I took issue with your comment.

I think you misunderstood what I originally said. I only intended to be factual about whether I'd date a transgender person.

However, I do think bisexuals tend to be more open-minded, but this is only because the realisation and coming out process is different since you've got to understand you're not part of societies' two main sexualities. I'm not saying being bisexual automatically means you're open-minded, but the process of learning it is special.

It happens with a lot of other minorities, they have to discover who they are rather than it being explained to them. This process tends to affect their outlook on life. You can still be part of the majority and be open-minded though.
No, I would never date a transgender person.
Reply 67
No chance, too weird for me.
Never :eek:
Reply 69
Not at all. I would constantly have that knowledge at the back of my mind that they used to be a woman - which I am not sexually attracted to, If I date someone, I intend to marry and have children with them so dating a transgender man would not work biologically.
Original post by Treeroy
I am a girl who has a male body, and although I want to have the physical transition when I'm older, I am always worried that it will be super hard to find a boyfriend.

So, would you date a woman who was assigned male at birth, or a man who was assigned female at birth? (depending on your sexual preference of course)

In theory, there should be no reason why not. But, I would find it hard to get over the psychological barrier of knowing that that person was once the opposite sex.
Reply 71
No. I'm straight, so I'd still see the man as their original gender, a woman.
No, it's a massive turn off for me.
Original post by Treeroy

And I say I'm female because I am. I'm not sure where the confusion is here... you understand the difference between biological sex and gender right?

I thought 'female' referred to biological sex?
I'd date a trans person, I'm bi so I don't care what's down there, and trans people are no different to cis people when getting to know them soooo it would be easy to like one romantically. The only good reason I can see for people not wanting to date a trans person is if they were a straight person who wanted to have biological children one day. I want to adopt anyway, so this isn't a problem for me. :smile:
Well pansexual people would im sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I would only date a cisgender heterosexual person.

My reasons are: Personal preference, religion & the fact that I would still have the thought at the back of my head that he was born as she. Also because I want to have biological children with the person I'm with.

So no, I would never date a transgender person.
Being entirely serious, I'm in no position to choose. If I want a girlfriend I have to take what I can get. The only stipulation would be 'she' has to look like a convincing woman. That's just the way it is. I'm attracted to women and not men which is not something I can exactly help.
Original post by Treeroy

Original post by Anonymous
No. Regardless of how tolerant I'd try to be about it, it'd always be in the back of my head that they used to be a guy.
Plus, if there is a clear appearance that they'd been somehow mutilated to appear as the opposite sex, that would be even more off-putting.

I don't have any problem with transgender people; their body, their choice and whatnot - just wouldn't date one.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with this guy.
I'd be friends with one but wouldn't date one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending