The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Clare College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I wasn't there - my school booked us in for the Newnham open day - but I have visited Clare college a couple of times and I liked it best. If I end up being pooled, though, I hope it is to Newnham!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Went to work for a couple of years after my GCSE's, never planned on even going to a uni, let alone Cambridge. Funny how things change! Btw, i wonder if anyone on here plays that assassin game the Clare student was telling us about, sounded......interesting :biggrin:
lol wow looks like the game is taken pretty seriously by some, that is one large set of rules!
'The Girton Award' lol brilliant!
praying
Thankyou so much for the message! Yes I think they were Goodman and Majerus. Well I think Imight well choose chemistry (if I get in..) so that would be very good. But wait, you said ...'lucky/unlucky'!!! Did I get an unrepresentative impression of the wonderful man? Which options did you choose btw?
Yes I looked at your food page.. veru insightful. I think tbh the food wouldn't be a big enough factor to put me off applying, but just confirming what I suspected from reading various other things... ah well... nothing's perfect in the world I suppose.

Goodman isn't too bad as a DOS I guess but I found him a bit discouraging. He never seemed to have any advice other than to work harder and he never really offered any praise either. One of my friends had a supvervision report where she'd got firsts for 3 of her subjects and a 2:1 for the other and Goodman went straight to the 2:1 and told her obviously that subject needed a bit of work. And in exam term he has a nasty habit of telling you exactly how many days to go til your first one...

As for my options, I did Chemistry, Biology of Cells, Geology and Maths A and now I'm doing Biochemistry, Pathology and HPS. And if you have any more questions about Natsci at Clare, feel free to ask or PM me or whatever!
Sent my application off last night, decided on Queens' in the end. So am I right in thinking you're applying next year? If so, will you go and look round Cambridge again next year?
Obviously the main factor should be your personal preference of the location and course but I think you should take into account that Cambridge is better for maths and I think a lot of people don't realise that they are statistically more likely to get an offer from Cambridge (because of STEP) so if STEP doesn't worry you then I would definitely go for Cambridge. Plus I would of course give you advice on the interview if i get in :biggrin:
Reply 787
I'm applying for Japanese at Clare - just sent off my UCAS form :>.<: Just thought I would say hi!

Am I making the right choice in applying to Clare? :biggrin:
Reply 788
kimoso
I'm applying for Japanese at Clare - just sent off my UCAS form :>.<: Just thought I would say hi!

Am I making the right choice in applying to Clare? :biggrin:

I think I can safely say 'probably'. :biggrin:
Reply 789
Lidka
I think I can safely say 'probably'. :biggrin:

Woop! :w00t:

Do you go there yeah? What do you study?
Reply 790
kimoso
Woop! :w00t:

Do you go there yeah? What do you study?

Yup. I am a Clare English student. :smile:
Reply 791
Lidka

Oh cool! Was Clare/Cambridge like how you expected it to be?
Lidka

Hey are you the Lidia of the library rep? Can I make a suggestion to you?
Reply 793
I go by many names
Goodman isn't too bad as a DOS I guess but I found him a bit discouraging. He never seemed to have any advice other than to work harder and he never really offered any praise either. One of my friends had a supvervision report where she'd got firsts for 3 of her subjects and a 2:1 for the other and Goodman went straight to the 2:1 and told her obviously that subject needed a bit of work. And in exam term he has a nasty habit of telling you exactly how many days to go til your first one...

As for my options, I did Chemistry, Biology of Cells, Geology and Maths A and now I'm doing Biochemistry, Pathology and HPS. And if you have any more questions about Natsci at Clare, feel free to ask or PM me or whatever!

Hello many names
Thanks so much for the reply! I can see why he might be a bit unpopular in that case! Actually I can kind of imagine it by the way he told us... 'right, Natural Sciences eh? NO SOCIAL LIFE FOR YOU!!!!! Get that into your heads RIGHT now.' Still, he seemed like a very nice, enthusiastic kind of a person.
Well I've just sent my application off yesterday (decided on Clare in the end) so I might have to message you nearer the interview time! SCARY. How was yours?
Reply 794
The West Wing
Hey are you the Lidia of the library rep? Can I make a suggestion to you?

Yes I am, and yes you may: send it to the Cambridge email address that was in the UCS e-mail that you (should have) got this morning. :smile:
OK, I'm beginning cooking for Maddie and Jeremy. I'll post photos of the 5-minute microwaved cake later :p:
They really loved it!! (genuinely)
Reply 797
The West Wing
They really loved it!! (genuinely)

Aw, what a good child you are. :p: My kids made me yummy rataouille, and my college daughter and I are going to be cooking together in order to avoid buttery. Ah, it's so nice when families work. :biggrin:
Lidka
Aw, what a good child you are. :p: My kids made me yummy rataouille, and my college daughter and I are going to be cooking together in order to avoid buttery. Ah, it's so nice when families work. :biggrin:

We made them:

Watercress and mozerella salad with balsamic vinegar
Breadsticks
Spaghetti carbonara
Microwaved chocolate cake with cream and bananas
Coffee
Chardonnay

:p:

I've never made such a complete meal for anyone before. It was so fun.

The buttery food is shockingly bad, so I'm planning to cook almost all my meals this year. Who are your college kids?
praying
Hello many names
Thanks so much for the reply! I can see why he might be a bit unpopular in that case! Actually I can kind of imagine it by the way he told us... 'right, Natural Sciences eh? NO SOCIAL LIFE FOR YOU!!!!! Get that into your heads RIGHT now.' Still, he seemed like a very nice, enthusiastic kind of a person.
Well I've just sent my application off yesterday (decided on Clare in the end) so I might have to message you nearer the interview time! SCARY. How was yours?

I had a biological interview with Dr Foster (who you probably haven't met but who is a very nice man) and a chemistry interview with Dr Goodman. In the bio one I was given an animal skull and asked questions about it and also asked some other stuff about dolphins. In the chemistry one I think it was something to do with isomers of alkanes but that one didn't go as well so it has obviously purposely faded from my memory! Both interviews were obviously very nerve-wracking but neither Foster nor Goodman were particularly scary themselves, they aim to put you at your ease so you can show your true potential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending