The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Zoedotdot
Turns out my idiot bank had blocked my account because of 'unusual spending', gnargh :frown: It's fixed now, but it meant that the payment didn't go through for my interrail tickets which needed to arrive today and they therefore haven't so I need to find someone to house sit tomorrow and sign for them! What a nightmare :frown:

Alas, anyone who could answer my question appears to have been scared off :frown:

What a pain! Though I'm sure you've got a willing friend who will house sit for you (or there must be someone you can bribe :wink:)

Alas indeed :frown: Ah well, you have me :biggrin: and my definitive answer is: Yes, no, maybe :p:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
*stars and stripes*
What a pain! Though I'm sure you've got a willing friend who will house sit for you (or there must be someone you can bribe :wink:)

Alas indeed :frown: Ah well, you have me :biggrin: and my definitive answer is: Yes, no, maybe :p:

The boy isn't doing anything tomorrow morning. Or, if he was, he's now house sitting :p: His ticket's coming too, and I have a hair appointment so if he's not here neither of us can go!

Thank you for that Danielle :smile: That's very helpful :rolleyes:
Zoedotdot
The boy isn't doing anything tomorrow morning. Or, if he was, he's now house sitting :p: His ticket's coming too, and I have a hair appointment so if he's not here neither of us can go!

Thank you for that Danielle :smile: That's very helpful :rolleyes:

Fair enough, that's a good plan :smile: I need to get my hair cut, thanks for the reminder :biggrin:

*curtseys* I know, I am the font of all knowledge :wink:
Ooooh, I also have an on topic question for any Emmanuelites out there - how necessary is it to have your own printer? Do you have to pay for using college printers and is that too much of a hassle?

Black and white laser printing costs 2p per sheet - this is added to your College bill. Colour laser printing costs 10p per sheet.

You can print to printers in the computing rooms from your room if you want to, then go and collect what you have printed, or you can just use the computing room.

I didn't bring a printer until my second year when I lived outside College in Blantyre - the computer room was fine for printing in 1st year.
werlop
Black and white laser printing costs 2p per sheet - this is added to your College bill. Colour laser printing costs 10p per sheet.

You can print to printers in the computing rooms from your room if you want to, then go and collect what you have printed, or you can just use the computing room.

I didn't bring a printer until my second year when I lived outside College in Blantyre - the computer room was fine for printing in 1st year.

Thank you very much, that's really helpful :smile: I'll have a think, but probably won't get a printer this year as it doesn't really sound like it's worth it.
*stars and stripes*
Another Emmanuelite I believe I have as yet not spoken to :eek:

Hi Ben :smile: I'm Danielle and a prospective Medic (I'm guessing from this that you're a Mathmo). I'm glad STEP went well with you, I don't envy you poor people having that major hurdle to overcome just when you think exams are over and freedom beckons! Are you all done now?

Hola Danielle! Sorry about the slow reply, I don't check TSR as often as I should, the most time I spend on it tends to be about 5 minutes before exams unfortunately, doubtless a good idea.

I am indeed a Mathmo! Always impressed whenever I see medics, your competition is ridiculous so congrats on the offer, well-deserved I'm sure :smile: Well, STEP II went well methinks but I'm not so sure now I did enough on III which has me a tad distressed, I wish results would hurry up! Still, knowing that previous maths candidates didn't make their grades but still got in is a little reassuring, although sure as hell won't stop me worrying the summer hols away :frown:

I do think it's a little harsh us lot having to take an extra exam when everyone else with a cambs offer is out partying - perhaps they expect the mathematician's social life is less than busy (bah!) but I'm not nearly horrible enough to wish similar exams on anyone else ^^

The holidays call - I hope you're all out celebrating! Been busy so far?
It has been confirmed, mini-mathmos. Myself and Martin (ad absurdum on here) are to be your subject parents next year, so we will be taking on the role of getting you drunk helping you to understand how the maths course in Cambridge works.
How many are there doing maths in your year? Do you get any particular advantages from being a subject parent or is it just for if you enjoy helping people? I imagine if I do actually manage to hit my offer I'd like to apply when I'm no longer a young 'un :smile:
Chumbaniya
It has been confirmed, mini-mathmos. Myself and Martin (ad absurdum on here) are to be your subject parents next year, so we will be taking on the role of getting you drunk helping you to understand how the maths course in Cambridge works.

Oooh wow, nice :biggrin:
BenSpurgen
How many are there doing maths in your year? Do you get any particular advantages from being a subject parent or is it just for if you enjoy helping people? I imagine if I do actually manage to hit my offer I'd like to apply when I'm no longer a young 'un :smile:

Not any benefits that I'm aware of. I'm just so kind-hearted and love helping people.

Bwahahahaha! Joke of the century!
Chumbaniya
Not any benefits that I'm aware of. I'm just so kind-hearted and love helping people.

Bwahahahaha! Joke of the century!

Almost had me convinced there :wink:
BenSpurgen
Hola Danielle! Sorry about the slow reply, I don't check TSR as often as I should, the most time I spend on it tends to be about 5 minutes before exams unfortunately, doubtless a good idea.

I am indeed a Mathmo! Always impressed whenever I see medics, your competition is ridiculous so congrats on the offer, well-deserved I'm sure :smile: Well, STEP II went well methinks but I'm not so sure now I did enough on III which has me a tad distressed, I wish results would hurry up! Still, knowing that previous maths candidates didn't make their grades but still got in is a little reassuring, although sure as hell won't stop me worrying the summer hols away :frown:

I do think it's a little harsh us lot having to take an extra exam when everyone else with a cambs offer is out partying - perhaps they expect the mathematician's social life is less than busy (bah!) but I'm not nearly horrible enough to wish similar exams on anyone else ^^

The holidays call - I hope you're all out celebrating! Been busy so far?

Hello! No worries... I was the same actually, lots of moments of panic happened in the offer holders' thread just before we all left for exams!

Thank you :smile: I'm not so sure about the well deserved bit (though I suppose we all think that at some point), but I have to say all Mathmos get my respect- Maths A Level was hideous enough, so to understand anything beyond that is incomprehensible to me!

I'm a worrier too :frown: Fingers crossed you'll be absolutely fine and if STEP II went in your favour, that can only be a bonus :biggrin:

I've been attacking a reading list actually! All my holidays are later and everyone else seems to be away on family holidays, so I've been a little bored this past week :rolleyes: Hopefully my summer will pick up soon or I'm in danger of filling my head with far too much useful information!

To make this vaguely on topic, are there any Emma medics on TSR (just out of curiosity) and have Medics sorted out subject parents yet? This may be premature, but I'll ask anyway!
Chumbaniya
Yeah. After setting such a sound example of abstaining from alcohol and attending every single lecture, they've decided we're responsible enough to guide the future mathematicians. Or something like that.
To be fair, you actually got a first, which is at least implies that you'll hopefully know what you're talking about. So one of us should be able to tell them something useful.
This thread dropped right the way to the bottom of the second page!! :frown: Bad!

Anyway, I'll kick off the noob fresher questions with one my mum's been pestering me about: do we have to bring our own duvets?
Reply 595
Technically no...they do provide them, but they are total rubbish. If you want a lovely comfy welcoming bed to sleep in bring your own, since the ones you get given are kind of plastic and thin.
On the other hand, I think having a bad duvet did help me to get out of bed for rowing in the morning in Michelmas :biggrin:
Okay, thank you :smile: I think I'll bring my own then as I won't be doing any rowing and do dearly love my big squidgy duvet.
Hi could somebody tell me what the gyp rooms are like at Emma?
I've seem on the site that there are limited facilities, but what do they consist of?
thanks
Reply 598
gyp rooms range in the facilities they have, those being (in order of likelihood that you'll find them in your gyp room, from very likely to very rare):

Some storage space
A sink
A microwave
A combination oven (i.e. just a microwave that can also be a fan oven/grill)
An electric hob (I think these are mostly removed, although some students will bring their own and only bring them out to use them as it can be against the rules to have a hob)

There was a proper kitchen installed in barnwell a couple of years ago, which is excellent (has a proper cooker and everything), but that is some second year accomodation.
I'm half way through my SAQ now, and I know that I need to submit two pieces of school work. I thought that the SAQ was posted out and we returned, rather than online, and thought that you sent your work off with the SAQ, now I;ve realised thats not what you do.

So when do I need to submit my work by, where do I send it, and how do I go about doing it?

Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending