Emma ask for 1,1 in STEP II and III for CompSci with Maths? O_o
I'm up for the challenge.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Edwin Okli

Yep that was my offer too. Unfortunately I didn't meet the STEP part :p: But for compsci (at least at Emma, and most other colleges) it's not a problem because you can just choose to do another option instead. The important part is to meet your A-level/IB/Other conditions.
Original post by Edwin Okli

It's 50% maths, and it's not like there's an easy half and a hard half!
Original post by Zhen Lin

Original post by Zhen Lin
It's 50% maths, and it's not like there's an easy half and a hard half!

I guess it's fair enough. I know that some colleges don't ask for it at all but I'm not going to play that kind of game, I'd rather go to Emma and feel elated if I conquer STEP. If I'm honest I wanted to do STEP anyway.
Hey guys -- deadline for pre-pack forms is approaching, I was wondering, which Court did you guys choose? (I went for South (closer to the bar))
Original post by a daedalus
Hey guys -- deadline for pre-pack forms is approaching, I was wondering, which Court did you guys choose? (I went for South (closer to the bar))

I chose south court due to the bar and bathrooms
Original post by a daedalus

South, for bar and the fact that if you're inside the only 60s buildings you can't see their exterior...
(edited 12 years ago)
Emms sucks, Catz rules9

Charles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
Emms sucks, Catz rules9

Charles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

What do we call this? Strape?
Original post by Gooner231
What do we call this? Strape?

I guess so we both went iTunes fes, I let him check something he started writing comments on tsr :rant:
Can anyone tell me the average amount of a college bill (ie food etc) each term?
Original post by cpdavis
Can anyone tell me the average amount of a college bill (ie food etc) each term?

Mine's usually about £1100 - grade 3 room, eat in hall once a day usually, several library fines. I think anywhere between £1000 and £1300 is normal, depending on how much you eat and what grade room you have.
Original post by cpdavis

It depends on what grade room you have, and what subject you do, and generally a bit about you.

Science students will have higher bills because they eat more meals (especially lunches) in hall, while arts subjects have more time to cook for themselves.

There are also odd other bits that go on your bill, eg May Ball tickets, and at the end of the year you might get a 1st which knocks some off.

So on average mine have been £1,200 - £1,300. Grade 4 room and eating more meals in hall than Zoe, but I think about £100-£150 every term have been one-off spending that's neither food nor rent.

Suggestion - steer well clear of Hall Breakfasts on price grounds, they're the same things as Sunday brunch but at about 3 times the price!
Original post by The Mr Z

Suggestion - steer well clear of Hall Breakfasts on price grounds, they're the same things as Sunday brunch but at about 3 times the price!

If you're the only one in you often get it for free, they just wave you through.
Reply 1394
Hello! I just got the news of my being atmitted to Emmanuel as an Erasmus student (European exchange programme) to read Divinity. Very excited! I wondered if there's anyone out here who either is a theologian at Emmanuel or who knows Divinity students/international students at the college.

How does one find out in which part of the college one will be living? And will college accomodation become available before Michaelmas starts (there will be an international introduction day on the 30th of September and I wondered if I could be staying in college then already)? Also, would it be possible to stay in college after term has ended or to leave things in your room over the holidays?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Everything is rather confusing at the moment so I would greatly appreciate any advice!
Original post by ~*mari*~
Hello! I just got the news of my being atmitted to Emmanuel as an Erasmus student (European exchange programme) to read Divinity. Very excited! I wondered if there's anyone out here who either is a theologian at Emmanuel or who knows Divinity students/international students at the college.

How does one find out in which part of the college one will be living? And will college accomodation become available before Michaelmas starts (there will be an international introduction day on the 30th of September and I wondered if I could be staying in college then already)? Also, would it be possible to stay in college after term has ended or to leave things in your room over the holidays?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Everything is rather confusing at the moment so I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Hey! I'm a student at Emma, but I'm spending the next year away in Germany on ERASMUS. Maybe you're the new me? :tongue: I think your accommodation will probably be in one of the newly renovated rooms in North Court, but I might be wrong there. I imagine they'll send you an information pack by the end of August, if they send you information at the same time as new incoming students.* The "Normal Period of Residence" (the standard rent period) starts on the 29th September, so you'll definitely be able to move in on that day. If you need to need to be in college outside of NPR, you need to ask for permission, but don't be afraid to ask if you ever need to. Depending on the reason, they can be quite flexible. Notice we normally stay in college for each term, but then go home in the holidays. I'm assuming you're at Emma for the whole year?

*Although, as I'm learning, universities often don't provide all the "obvious" information to erasmus students. :frown: If you've got any other questions, ask away and we'll see if we can help! :biggrin:
Reply 1396
Original post by Canned Door
Hey! I'm a student at Emma, but I'm spending the next year away in Germany on ERASMUS. Maybe you're the new me? :tongue: I think your accommodation will probably be in one of the newly renovated rooms in North Court, but I might be wrong there. I imagine they'll send you an information pack by the end of August, if they send you information at the same time as new incoming students.* The "Normal Period of Residence" (the standard rent period) starts on the 29th September, so you'll definitely be able to move in on that day. If you need to need to be in college outside of NPR, you need to ask for permission, but don't be afraid to ask if you ever need to. Depending on the reason, they can be quite flexible. Notice we normally stay in college for each term, but then go home in the holidays. I'm assuming you're at Emma for the whole year?

*Although, as I'm learning, universities often don't provide all the "obvious" information to erasmus students. :frown: If you've got any other questions, ask away and we'll see if we can help! :biggrin:

Thanks a lot! Ah, Germany is an awesome place to study (especially if they live up to their general pünktlichkeit in providing information to erasmus students.. :smile: ) I didn't know if ERASMUS was welknown in Cambridge. Which uni will you be at?

Thank you for the link, it has been most helpful. Yes, I'll be at Emma for the whole year, that's why I wondered about rooms, termdates and holidays, but I'll stay patient now and await the information pack :smile:

Would you by any chance happen to know to what year exchange students are normally admitted? I would have been starting into the 3th year at my home university now, so I hope to enter the tripos part IIb in Cambridge (also because part IIb seems to have the coolest papers..). I recently heard, though, that erasmus students often have to start in the 1st year at Cambridge, even if they aren't freshers in their home countries. I do hope there would be a way around that.

Can't wait to come to Cambridge!
Original post by ~*mari*~
Thanks a lot! Ah, Germany is an awesome place to study (especially if they live up to their general pünktlichkeit in providing information to erasmus students.. :smile: ) I didn't know if ERASMUS was welknown in Cambridge. Which uni will you be at?

Thank you for the link, it has been most helpful. Yes, I'll be at Emma for the whole year, that's why I wondered about rooms, termdates and holidays, but I'll stay patient now and await the information pack :smile:

Would you by any chance happen to know to what year exchange students are normally admitted? I would have been starting into the 3th year at my home university now, so I hope to enter the tripos part IIb in Cambridge (also because part IIb seems to have the coolest papers..). I recently heard, though, that erasmus students often have to start in the 1st year at Cambridge, even if they aren't freshers in their home countries. I do hope there would be a way around that.

Can't wait to come to Cambridge!

It's not well known actually, I didn't know we had any Erasmus students at Emma! I hope Canned Door wasn't in my year! That would be embarrassing. It's just there are so few of you compared to normal students it doesn't really cross our minds.

For accommodation, were you asked what grade room and whether you wanted to live in south court or north court? If so, we can tell you exactly where you will be, if not you may not be in fresher accommodation. Contact the college if you want to know which room you've been allocated, then we can tell you where in college that is.

NPR starts 29th September, that's the day you can move in on without paying any extra rent, but it's possible to move in before then and college will make this easy as you're an international student (not UK anyway) You'll also get more space in storage to leave things over the holidays.

Full term (ie lectures) start the following Thursday.

the ECSU website should at some point have a digital version of the freshers' pack info, so you can look there if you haven't received it by the end of August (just google ecsu)
Original post by The Mr Z
It's not well known actually, I didn't know we had any Erasmus students at Emma! I hope Canned Door wasn't in my year! That would be embarrassing. It's just there are so few of you compared to normal students it doesn't really cross our minds.

For accommodation, were you asked what grade room and whether you wanted to live in south court or north court? If so, we can tell you exactly where you will be, if not you may not be in fresher accommodation. Contact the college if you want to know which room you've been allocated, then we can tell you where in college that is.

NPR starts 29th September, that's the day you can move in on without paying any extra rent, but it's possible to move in before then and college will make this easy as you're an international student (not UK anyway) You'll also get more space in storage to leave things over the holidays.

Full term (ie lectures) start the following Thursday.

the ECSU website should at some point have a digital version of the freshers' pack info, so you can look there if you haven't received it by the end of August (just google ecsu)

Canned Door is a third year linguist about to go on Erasmus for his year abroad :p: There was an Erasmus student when I was in my second year, but I can't remember where he lived! I know the MIT exchange student last year lived in New Court, but that was a direct swap with one of the engineers who would have been in third year so it made sense.
Original post by Zoedotdot
Canned Door is a third year linguist about to go on Erasmus for his year abroad :p: There was an Erasmus student when I was in my second year, but I can't remember where he lived! I know the MIT exchange student last year lived in New Court, but that was a direct swap with one of the engineers who would have been in third year so it made sense.

Ah right, few, no need to be too embarrassed.

We had some American students join us in South Court in Lent term for their exchange.

Latest

Trending

Trending