The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

I can't afford Birmingham Accommodation help!

I've got a place at Birmingham to do Lib Arts next year and it's where I want to go but I can't afford barely any of the accommodation even with my grant/loan! Anyone else in this position? There is one accommodation I can afford but I looked round it on an open day and wasn't keen.
I still want to meet lots of people/have an atmosphere like halls - is there any third party accommodation which is affordable but can still give me that?
Or does anyone have any other advice? Thanks so much! x
Original post by franklymydear12
I've got a place at Birmingham to do Lib Arts next year and it's where I want to go but I can't afford barely any of the accommodation even with my grant/loan! Anyone else in this position? There is one accommodation I can afford but I looked round it on an open day and wasn't keen.
I still want to meet lots of people/have an atmosphere like halls - is there any third party accommodation which is affordable but can still give me that?

I have the money for accommodation but it leaves me with hardly nothing so I guess I am in the same position!

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I can only afford two so I've put them as my first two choices and I hope I'll get one but if not I've managed to finally get a job so I'm saving probably all of my wage and use that to make up the difference. Not ideal but it should be fine, you could try that unless the difference is too big :smile:
I'm in the same boat.. What if I don't get my first 2 choices of accomodation? I simply won't be able to afford to go😥
Reply 4
You can apply for additional funds if you're struggling to pay your way through uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LordLewi
You can apply for additional funds if you're struggling to pay your way through uni :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that through Student Finance or the University?
Reply 6
I've hears of people do it through the university,however they may refer you to student finance? If you look on the website there should be a section for 'Financial support"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You could just rent a house in Selly Oak?
Tbh, there are loads of houses that haven't been let and you can get them dirt cheap (like less than half price) if you sign onto them closer to the start of term because by that time the landlords are desperate.

Halls aren't as great as it's all geared out to be imho.
Reply 8
Original post by franklymydear12

Hey!

I have a room in Selly Oak if anyone is interested. It's a 6 bedroom house with modern blue ceiling lighting, gorgeous cushiony dark chocolate brown carpet (rooms & stairs) - everywhere else is marble tiles (living room, kitchen, bathroom). Three bathrooms, each on every floor - you will only be sharing with one other person.

It's £97ppw and £416pm (incl. bills) - Plazma screen in living area - Sky TV & unlimited broadband, long garden, washing machine. The room available is fully furbished with a wardrobe, desk and a large chest draw cupboard (dark chocolate brown/black)

Current housemates are all females although happy to live with anyone. They are friendly and clean and love to have a good time so don't worry about missing out on fun. They've already had a welcome gathering for those who have moved in Selly Oak early. Not trying to sound OTT but you will not get a place of the same quality and price in halls. If you want the best of both worlds I heavily recommend that you apply for a house in safe and student-friendly areas like Selly Oak. I guess some halls are nice but as you said can be really expensive. I'm currently paying £121p/w in the halls I am in now (dreadful!), but I had no choice.

I have more details and pictures of course! If you're interested let me know!

P.S. I can email anyone who is serious - I only have a video of the room available. I will go and take pics sometime this week. The lights look amazing in person and in video without flash; the pictures below were taken with flash and hence overpowered the lights.

Attachment not found
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending