The Student Room Group

Bed bugs in University Accommodation as I arrive

I recently arrived in University accommodation and see bed bugs, they've been confirmed but i'm not sure where to go from here as i can't afford to pay for all the washing and its literally fresher's week so thats great, i can't afford to pay for the washing and detergent and everything to get it all sorted and don't even know if some of my stuff is gonna withstand this. Is there any compensation I can get at all?
Reply 1
Original post by Chloe0503
I recently arrived in University accommodation and see bed bugs, they've been confirmed but i'm not sure where to go from here as i can't afford to pay for all the washing and its literally fresher's week so thats great, i can't afford to pay for the washing and detergent and everything to get it all sorted and don't even know if some of my stuff is gonna withstand this. Is there any compensation I can get at all?

First things first: have you notified your accommodation provider about this? What did they do/say?

If this is purpose-built student accommodation, do they have another room they can move you to?
Hi there @Chloe0503, sorry to hear about this.

Have you reported this issue to University Accommodation teams?

You could also report this to your halls' reception, and hopefully they can arrange for someone to deal with it for you. Normally, if it wasn't caused by the student, the accommodation team should be the ones dealing with this. You may also be able to ask for a change of rooms temporarily.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by martin7
First things first: have you notified your accommodation provider about this? What did they do/say?

If this is purpose-built student accommodation, do they have another room they can move you to?

Yeah! So I notified the university and they said they could get someone in tomorrow, haven't offered to change rooms or mattress and also said that they could help me out with washing but i mean more monetary as well tbh.
Reply 4
It will need fumigation.
They may have spread to your clothes.
Only washing at a certain temperature kills them.
@Chloe0503

Definitely be firm about the expectations that you had and the trouble, stress and inconvenience this is all causing you.

You are paying for this accommodation! It's not your responsibility to sort out, it's theirs!

Be clear about how you want them to resolve this and keep making noise about it until they follow through. It's just not good enough for to them act slowly about this!

If in doubt as to how to further proceed, do talk to your family. I think they would definitely be phoning up the university accommodation team and getting this sorted for you, if this a conversation you don't want to have with them.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending