The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Bsc Human Geography degree anyone?

Hi everyone...

After much debating between Human geography and Environmental studies degree, I have finally decided to go for the geog! My first two courses begin next month and finish end of Jan (Life in our oceans - exploring our blue planet and modelling the climate). Is anyone currently studying towards these or planning to?
I've also registered for Intro to the social sciences and Living in a globalised world which will both start next feb just after the openings courses finish.
Im planning to complete the degree in just over 3 years, then maybe a Geography PGCE will follw...I must be mad...
I have dropped my job role and hours at work to 30 hours over 3 nights a week, which enables me to study during the week. I sent my financial assistance forms off yesterday so fingers crossed I get my 60 point course fees paid!!
Any tips or advice or just a chat would be appreciated...

Jo
Reply 1
Hello

Yes I too am starting the Human Geography degree soon (hopefully!) I'm going to my local OU centre open day this weekend to get it all sorted out.

I'll be taking modelling the climate first too.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
What made you decide to go with the geo rather than the environmental studies? Just out of interest
Reply 3
Hi Jayuk, Well....my plan is to do a Geog pgce afterwards and I had a look at the uni pgce entry criteria and the majority of them want a degree where at least half of it is the subject you wish to teach in and I wasnt too sure if environmental studies, particularly the modules I wanted to study could be classed as geographical?! And anyway, I have managed to tailor the geography degree so that it includes several environmental modules so I get the best of both worlds!
Hope all that makes sense!
Reply 4
Well planned!

The reason I ask is because I'm just setting out to start the Environmental studies degree (B19) with the OU.

I'm starting with an openings course Y153.

Good luck with everything.
Reply 5
Good luck to you both with your degrees! Are you both going to be studying them over 3 or 6 years or somewhere in between?!
Reply 6
I'm hoping to complete mine within 3 years but that all depends on if I can cut my working hours down. Otherwise i'll aim for 4 years and just work very hard :biggrin:

I've moved from Human Geography now to International studies as that allows me take a design module and still get recognition from the RTPI if I decide to take an extra year to get into town planning. The modules available to Human Geog and Int' Studies are very similar but International studies is a bit more flexible to what i'd like to study and need to study.

Latest