The Student Room Group

Geograpy BSc

Hi, I'd like to do physical geography at university but most courses are just geography as a bachelor of science. Can anyone doing a geography bsc tell me how much human geography is involved in it or if it is just mainly physical geography?
Thank you!
Original post by elle155
Hi, I'd like to do physical geography at university but most courses are just geography as a bachelor of science. Can anyone doing a geography bsc tell me how much human geography is involved in it or if it is just mainly physical geography?
Thank you!

Usually they're pretty 50-50 split between them is my understanding, at least initially.

If you're especially interested in physical geography, have you considered a degree in geology/earth sciences/etc? As that covers the topics of "physical geography" but in a much broader and deeper way (and without so much reference to the social aspects).
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually they're pretty 50-50 split between them is my understanding, at least initially.

If you're especially interested in physical geography, have you considered a degree in geology/earth sciences/etc? As that covers the topics of "physical geography" but in a much broader and deeper way (and without so much reference to the social aspects).

Okay thank you! I have thought about earth sciences but I'm worried I'd find it too focused on science?
Original post by elle155
Okay thank you! I have thought about earth sciences but I'm worried I'd find it too focused on science?

Well I think the thing is after a certain point, physical geography is science. When you go into a certain level of depth the overlap becomes pretty significant I believe?
Reply 4
Have you had a good look, it took me 30 seconds to find physical geography degree courses:

Cardiff
Swansea
Lancaster
Reading
Original post by elle155
Thank you!

Hi @elle155,

Have you tried looking at the complete university guide? It is a website where you can search the degree you are interested in i.e. physical geography and it will show you all the unis in the UK that provide it and their rankings in the league tables. You can even put in your grades to tailor your search to you. I'll link it here in case you're interested: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/search/undergraduate/physical-geography .
If you are set on a uni that only delivers a geography degree (instead of a physical geography degree), there is usually an element of choice in what modules are chosen. Other than that, check the subject brochures to see what modules you will be studying so you can see what the split is.

Hope this helps
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 6
Original post by elle155
Thank you!

swansea do a bsc in human geography and bsc in physical geography.
Reply 7
Hi,

I studied BSc Geography. It does not matter too much which route you apply for because once you're in your degree you can change between BSc and BA. It usually depends on the modules you choose, first year is usually 50/50 physical and human to allow you to explore your interests. From second year onwards you will be required to select certain credits of physical modules if you want to graduate with a BSc (but you can still do some human modules). I know a lot of people who came into uni on the BA route then changed to the BSc route and vice versa.
Hi Ellie, unfortunately there is no pure physical geography degree in the UK, with most BSc subjects doing some sort of human geography (although you will have modular options to shape your education).

I'd recommend having a look at courses aborad if you can - I can personally recommend Lund University's Physical Geography BSc for anyone who wants to only study the natural science aspect of geography.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending