The Student Room Group

Computing Vs Physics: Maths

Which subject is more maths-intensive: Computing or Physics?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to do a Physics AS next year, I already do Computing so just wondering what the maths is like in Physics when compared to Computing.

Computing has some maths in it, but so does Physics.

I've got a feeling that Physics has a lot more maths in it, but what's the hardest mathematical thing you would do in Physics?
Reply 1
Original post by aconline
Which subject is more maths-intensive: Computing or Physics?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to do a Physics AS next year, I already do Computing so just wondering what the maths is like in Physics when compared to Computing.

Computing has some maths in it, but so does Physics.

I've got a feeling that Physics has a lot more maths in it, but what's the hardest mathematical thing you would do in Physics?

Physics isn't particularly taxing maths-wise in AS level, and doesn't get much worse at A level (because they have to account for people not studying maths as well). If you do AS or higher Maths, you'll be perfectly fine. A good grasp of algebraic manipulation, simple trig, standard form, and a basic standard of numerical literacy is what's needed. And your teacher should be able to go over anything that confuses you. Basically, there were people in my class who could get Bs and As with their highest level of maths being a GCSE.

I can't compare to Computing, because I've never studied it academically, but they're a really good pair of complementary subjects if you want to go into a technical discipline.
Reply 2
Computing has basically 0 maths so physics is much more mathsy.
Reply 3
Original post by TVIO
Computing has basically 0 maths so physics is much more mathsy.

No idea what Computing course you've taken, but Computing currently has Boolean Algebra and other stuff which requires good maths skills.
Reply 4
Original post by aconline
No idea what Computing course you've taken, but Computing currently has Boolean Algebra and other stuff which requires good maths skills.

AQA. Boolean algebra was the closest thing. But it doesn't require any use of any maths, like calculus etc.
Reply 5
Original post by TVIO
AQA. Boolean algebra was the closest thing. But it doesn't require any use of any maths, like calculus etc.

True, but then you could potentially could binary in (depending wholly on what method you were taught).

Quick Reply

Latest