The Student Room Group

Barts and the london

I would like to study medicine at barts and the london. I got 7 As and 3 Bs at GCSE and have chosen Biology Maths Chemistry and Physics for AS level. Given that I get AAAA in these what chance do I have and how can I improve my chance and can someone please explain the ucas tariff system that they use thanks
Original post by BigDreamer123
I would like to study medicine at barts and the london. I got 7 As and 3 Bs at GCSE and have chosen Biology Maths Chemistry and Physics for AS level. Given that I get AAAA in these what chance do I have and how can I improve my chance and can someone please explain the ucas tariff system that they use thanks

Instead of creating new threads each time you want to know if you can apply to a certain school why not have a look at the wiki http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine which has multiple wikis that will help you out.
Additionally it seems as if you are simply looking at 'prestigious' schools and fixating on how to get in to a certain one. Because your GCSEs are not quite as good as the typical medical applicant you will really need to apply to your strengths and apply to medicial schools where you will not be too disadvantaged by your gcses http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements . Medical school is not out of reach but you will have to apply strategically, ace the ukcat or bmat (or both) and perhaps do a bit of your own homework too.

UCAS tariff system is a point system awarded to academic grades (a levels etc) plus certain extra-curricular activities such as grade 8 in a musical instrument. A quick search of google will bring up the way the points are allocated.
Yeah but I meet the requirements of barts and the London for GCSEs and I want to go to a school in the top ten because I looked at the apply to your strengths page and I knowwhich schools take gcses very seriously
Reply 3

UCAS tariff is very simple just google it and the webpage will appear.
To improve your chances get a good UKCAT, good AS grades and continue all 4 to A2.
I'd also suggest you try to find some initiative/ independent spirit. You could look on the websites of unis you're interested in, look at the tsr medicine wiki and the relevant threads for those med schools.
You really need to be careful your GCSE's are not great so think tactically about applying avoid GCSE heavy unis.
Medical school is not like other courses individual university prestige is irrelevant and won't even be disclosed on your training job applications.
I would suggest you look at liverpool, lancaster, newcastle, possibly leeds, southampton, glasgow.
Places to avoid are QUB, Birmingham, Oxford, Bristol, Sheffield, Leicester, Kings, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Cardiff, St Andrews amongst others.
Perhaps you should look into what type of medical course you'd like to do, that'd guide your thinking more. Because on the one hand you mentioned Cambridge a very traditional course with very little patient contact, lots of essays and lectures. Then on the other you say Barts which is a PBL course which is extremely different.
What makes pbl difficult with examples?
What makes pbl difficult with examples?

DIFFERENT not difficult.

You need to read the posts more carefully.

7As, 2Bs at GCSE. (The short course B will not count.) If this is your best shot at your GCSEs I think it highly unlikely that you will reach the grades necessary for UCL or, your other first choice, Cambridge.

When (if) you get AAAA in the AS levels then you will know whether you are a candidate for medicine anywhere, never mind Cambridge or UCL. I assume you have begun your voluntary work programme etc. That's what will get you into a med school alongside the AAA at A level and AAAA at AS.
Original post by russellwallace
DIFFERENT not difficult.

You need to read the posts more carefully.

7As, 2Bs at GCSE. (The short course B will not count.) If this is your best shot at your GCSEs I think it highly unlikely that you will reach the grades necessary for UCL or, your other first choice, Cambridge.

When (if) you get AAAA in the AS levels then you will know whether you are a candidate for medicine anywhere, never mind Cambridge or UCL. I assume you have begun your voluntary work programme etc. That's what will get you into a med school alongside the AAA at A level and AAAA at AS.

You won't stand a chance at cambridge or ucl with those GCSEs I'm afraid they like a high percentage of A* s
Also you need to realise that EVERYONE meets minimum otherwise they wouldn't apply, look at stalking pages to see what makes a competitive applicant
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending