The Student Room Group

Straight to Postgraduate Studies or take a year out?

I'm currently in the final year of my History undergraduate degree and have to decide what to do next, I know I will most likely be pursuing a postgraduate degree eventually, but I also think that maybe taking a year out will be helpful in the log run. I'm a bit confused on the situation
What do you guys and gals think?
Reply 1
What are you planning to do during that year that you think may be helpful in the long run?
Original post by Zefiros
What are you planning to do during that year that you think may be helpful in the long run?

Get a job to help out with the cost and at the same time getting general experience
Reply 3
If you need money for the Masters, then working and saving is pretty vital. It might take longer than a year, depending on your circumstances.

As far as being experience for your postgrad, it's really only going to be useful if you're working in or around your proposed field of study. At postgrad level, unis are more interested in your academic potential than general CV/reference stuff like being reliable, hardworking, honest etc. A Masters application will prefer academic references, so a professional reference would only be helpful as a fallback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending