The Student Room Group

How can I help my mum?

So my mum and dad fight regularly over the smallest things and when this happens, my mum comes and tells me why my dad's wrong and how we used to be happier when me and my siblings were younger and living under the same roof, when these fights normally happen right in front of me. I can understand the situation without her telling me. Even though sometimes she's right, it feels uncomfortable listening to her talk about my dad and it's not like I can do anything about it. These little fights literally ruin our family holidays and I just hate it. Other times, I feel like my mum is just ungrateful. Sometimes I simply leave in the middle of her talking if I reach that point where I feel like crying or screaming that I'm not her therapist but obviously that's still disrespectful. It feels the worst when some of what she's saying is true. How do I deal with this without being disrespectful to either of my parents? And how do I prevent myself from getting angry at my mum so that I can help her? And professional help is out of the question because they're just not the 'professional help' type of people. They're the 'go with the flow and it'll all be solved with time' type, and I'm the 'something should be done at least' type.
Thank you if you read the whole paragraph. :colondollar:
I know this is quite different, but my dad has schizophrenia and suffers bouts of psychosis just randomly. When I was younger I would get involved and try and talk him out of it. It did me no good, in fact it did me harm.

You have to be selfish. You have to say I just can't help with your problems because it's stressing me out and I don't need that. I think you yourself should see a counsellor if they arent willing to. And most importantly get out and spend time with people your own age as much as possible.
Original post by Anonymous
So my mum and dad ...

You've been put in this awkward situation way too much, if I were you, I'd be very angry and start yelling telling them how horrible they've been; that parent-child barrier was broken long time ago by your mother, it is not ok for a mother to include her child in her fights. Try not to swear or be disrespectful, but at the same time you have to show them how you feel about this situation; act if you have to.
if you're 18 or over, move out and live on rented accommodation. You have your own life, over time your mother and father will come to an understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending