Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It did every day. Scientific fact.
Reply 41
shady lane
From the phrase: "The sun never sets on the British empire."

I still dont understand what you mean though :biggrin:
OK...
People like yourself think the erosion of British culture and the introduction of American culture is bad. Despite living in a country that tried to force its culture on lots of other people during its height of power. Now that Britain isn't so "great" anymore, this complaint sounds a bit like a spoilt child. If you don't like it, stop watching American TV and listening to American music.
Reply 43
who is "you"?
Reply 44
shady lane
OK...
People like yourself think the erosion of British culture and the introduction of American culture is bad. Despite living in a country that tried to force its culture on lots of other people during its height of power. Now that Britain isn't so "great" anymore, this complaint sounds a bit like a spoilt child. If you don't like it, stop watching American TV and listening to American music.

I wasn't responsible for enforcing British culture on others. And by the way, Britain is great and just for the record i'd rather watch Fawlty Towers over Scrubs any day of the week, and i'd rather listen to U2 over NSync and so i dont watch any American TV or American music, just because it doesn't appeal to my sort of humour and not because of anything else. To suggest such a thing is ludacrious
Reply 45
Carl
It did every day. Scientific fact.

The British Empire was meant to stretch across so much of the globe that as the sun was setting at one point of the Empire, it was rising at another, so the sun never set on the British Empire.

"you" presumably means afcwill and others who think like him.
Reply 46
Wez
carl: "you" presumably means afcwill and others who think like him.

And im not the only one. Please note everyone, im not anti-american! Infact a lot of my relatives live there and i have American blood in me and so please dont pre judge when you know nothing about me. I am not anti american but i am merely trying to preserve our culture and asking the question why its diminishing
Reply 47
The sun still never sets on the British empire so to speak.
Reply 48
afcwill
And im not the only one. Please note everyone, im not anti-american! Infact a lot of my relatives live there and i have American blood in me and so please dont pre judge when you know nothing about me. I am not anti american but i am merely trying to preserve our culture and asking the question why its diminishing

Monoculture is what you really want to get at I think. And lets face it, it's American dominated. Yah.
Reply 49
I really don't see your point here.

The UK is nothing like America....

There might be more american media/fast food outlets then in say, Somalia, but that's becuase the UK is a rich country that consumes these things by choice.

People can turn on the Sci Fi channel and watch the newer episodes of Doctor Who, and use British slang co opted from it. It doesn't mean the USA is turning into the UK.
Reply 50
Evil-Tuna
Monoculture is what you really want to get at I think. And lets face it, it's American dominated. Yah.

And American culture is based on English culture. It just evolved differently over the last two centuries.
British schools now often have a 'principal', and become 'community colleges'. Chips are often referred to as 'fries'. Films are often referred to as 'movies'. Dinner jackets are often referred to as 'tuxedos'. Schools now have American-style proms, and people get all excited about going on 'dates'. Yeah, it's safe to say that the UK sometimes seems to be trying to become a smaller version of the USA; it's probably mainly down, as has been said, to the influx of American television programmes (note the spelling of that last word, if you please) onto our screens; Sky/Cable television's increasing popularity hasn't helped, either. Still, I can tolerate it, within limits.

Anyway, do excuse me; I'm off to have my tea and crumpets, before bed.....
The UK is becoming like America because thats what has been chosen for us, since it benefits the "top lot".

Lawz-
Its called cultural cross-pollination - hardly new - hardly a big deal

Do you actually have a soul?...lol
Reply 53
Is there a government edict that says we must watch Friends and the Simpsons?
FreedomtoFascism
The UK is becoming like America because thats what has been chosen for us, since it benefits the "top lot".

Yeah I hear the Republican party wants us to say fries and movies and watch American football.
Reply 55
Hmm, I'm sure I remember reading a similar complaint from Americans about "British-isms" entering American English, in the Times or something similar. Apparently (hopefully someone can verify this) ATM's will often ask you to "enter your secret number" instead of PIN. Apparently that's British.

Anyway, Shady_Lane, I see you're venting your usual anti-imperialism and possibly anti-British tendencies again (in your usual fashion) by saying we deserve it because we did it to other people a couple of hundred years ago? How does that work? By the same logic, would it be ok for blacks to start putting whites in shackles and shipping them off to work plantations?
I'm not saying you deserve it. I'm saying your country didn't have a problem forcing its culture on others. So why are you complaining because you choose to consume American entertainment? If you don't like it, you can stop!
Reply 57
But that point could have been made equally well without bringing in Britain's past - that did nothing to strengthen the point you were apparently trying to make.
Reply 58
Apagg
But that point could have been made equally well without bringing in Britain's past - that did nothing to strengthen the point you were apparently trying to make.

Precisely
Reply 59
I think that bit of history was worth a mention.

The UK's past is fair game, within a certain context.

I really wonder...how many of the people that complain about the UK becoming like the US... have actually been to the US, and seen and heard the difference between our countries?

Latest

Trending

Trending