The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I live in South Dorset, Durham is v far! But i applied, such a beautiful place.
Dont worry about being far away. That s what uni is about.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
personally I don't feel that working in my first year stopped me from doing anything I would have done otherwise - I'm not hugely the joining clubs type and any extra time I'd had that year would've probably just been spent sitting in mates rooms watching Green Wing/the O.C. and there is a limit to how much that is a valuable life experience. I'm glad I worked as though my first year counted - especially when I look at the application forms for law internships!
Reply 62
TKR
personally I don't feel that working in my first year stopped me from doing anything I would have done otherwise - I'm not hugely the joining clubs type and any extra time I'd had that year would've probably just been spent sitting in mates rooms watching Green Wing/the O.C. and there is a limit to how much that is a valuable life experience. I'm glad I worked as though my first year counted - especially when I look at the application forms for law internships!

Well as I say it really depends on the person - I never plan to be in a job which pays me massively and hence I don't really "need" amazing grades. I'd rather do extra curricular stuff and see my grades drop a tad to be honest - because I know I'm never going to get the same chance to do things that I can do at Durham.

Especially within sports - it's so easy to learn sports at Durham because you get so much support from people in the years above, but if you wanted to learn a sport after Uni you'd have to pay quite a bit to join a proper club; whereas if you just go to a leisure centre you won't get much teaching I doubt.

Wish I'd joined at least one more sport in 1st year and got some more skills (or just stuck to Hockey instead of leaving!) Oh well! :rolleyes:
Reply 63
dobbs
I can assure you now that not EVERY graduate employer asks for a breakdown of first year results; some only ask for the overall result (foolish as it may be!).

The majority of graduate employers offering high salaries do ask. I wish I'd known this in my first year.

dobbs
Now in my 3rd year I feel I've missed out on a lot simply because I didn't do stuff when I really could have!

It's not too late to get involved with extracurricular stuff. Watch out for the re-freshers fair.:biggrin: There's still plenty time to get involved with SCA for example - off the top of my head, I can think of one project that's only recently started up, and several one-off projects that are yet to kick off.

You're right, time management is important. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, and I'm in my fourth year. :wink:
Reply 64
dobbs
Never heard of the place to be honest, so I can't see what's so good about it. Does it have a famous turnip farm or something? Did The Werzels once play live there? Are there only 10 surnames between everyone in the town due to inbreeding? :wink:

No! But I can tell you the following:
- The population of Wimborne is 99.5% OAPs.
- The only place in Wimborne that stays open past midnight is TJs, the tiny "sports club" I have mentioned in threads when arguing that Klute is comparatively mediocre.
- Wimborne has a minster whose saint is St. Cuthberga. Nobody knows what St. Cuthberga did. I don't even know if I'm spelling "Cuthberga" correctly.
- Wimborne has many many times won the Southern Town category in the "England in Bloom" competition, which concerns having a lot of flowering plants.
- Wimborne Folk Festival is the best thing ever, combining hippies, morris dancers, folk music, booze, parades through towns and enough market stalls selling awesome jewellery and bizarre musical instruments to shake a stick at.
- The Wimborne Wasps are a fantastic Quidditch team.

Now, why would you not want to live here? I do actually love it - it has an invisible charm to it. It's a little like Durham, but smaller.

Moving on. I managed to get a car permit - I came to realise it's easier than I'd thought when someone in my pool team had one and she didn't have a stronger reason to have one than me. It's worth a try, though I imagine it must be tricky in bailey colleges.
Wimborne is great, I must say. The Tivoli is a lovely little theatre... I saw Mark Steel there earlier in the year; he didn't draw much of an audience but then he is a little more left-wing than your average Wimborne octagenarian theatregoer.

And thanks for the advice, people. My mum says she'll take me up for the open day, so I guess we'll get to see whether that would be possible twice a term.

Someone mentioned flying carpets - there's a suspicious little shop in Christchurch called Christchurch Oriental Carpets, which I reckon sells them.
Reply 66
elyim
Wimborne is great, I must say.

I love you.

The Tivoli is awesome - I once emailed them asking if they'd like me to volunteer, but they ignored it...they probably don't know how to use technology :redface: Where do you live in Hampshire?

Open Day is definitely a good idea. Even if you're sure that you're going already. It's fun :biggrin: I went to two because I applied twice and the second time around my parents said, "maybe you should go to a second open day, just to check that Durham's the right choice".....OKAY! Whatever you say, Mum and Dad.
Reply 67
shona
It's not too late to get involved with extracurricular stuff. Watch out for the re-freshers fair.:biggrin: There's still plenty time to get involved with SCA for example - off the top of my head, I can think of one project that's only recently started up, and several one-off projects that are yet to kick off.

No you got the wrong end of the stick, trust me I do crap loads of extracurricular stuff (I run the college shop which takes up SO MUCH TIME lol, I'm the secretary of our boat club, I coach 2 rowing crews, I cox a rowing crew, and I row with my own crew....next term I'll be also rowing in ANOTHER crew, oh and I try to maintain a long-distance relationship which you could maybe classify under extracurricular? hehe)

BUT back in First Year, I could've joined a sport just for the year....get the basic skills and all that so that after Uni if I wanted to take it up again I could quite easily, rather than having to get proper training from the start. Or just have joined (another) committee for the year, just for the experience :smile:

Jelkin - surely everyone knows what the England in Bloom contest is?! It annoys the hell out of me that there's a big roundabout by my house which in the Spring/Summer regularly has about 3 or 4 council men planting nice plants and raking it and all that - grrrrr, why don't they get trained in fixing things in houses and then do THAT instead, I'm sure it would be better for people to have a higher standard of living than the area winning a "Best roundabout flower display" award!! :rolleyes:
Reply 68
dobbs
Jelkin - surely everyone knows what the England in Bloom contest is?! It annoys the hell out of me that there's a big roundabout by my house which in the Spring/Summer regularly has about 3 or 4 council men planting nice plants and raking it and all that - grrrrr, why don't they get trained in fixing things in houses and then do THAT instead, I'm sure it would be better for people to have a higher standard of living than the area winning a "Best roundabout flower display" award!! :rolleyes:

Ah! I didn't know everyone knew about it - I've never seen signs boasting of success in "England in Bloom" anywhere else!

You know what I've always wondered? Why towns are "twinned" with other, foreign towns. Bournemouth, for example, is twinned with Lucerne in Switzerland and somewhere else in Germany. Why?!?!
Reply 69
to foster a sense of international fraternity? :angel:
Reply 70
York is apparantly undergoing the process to become twinned with Timbuktu, though can't remember which country that's in - lol.....but yes, soon York and Timbuktu will be twinned :smile:
dobbs
York is apparantly undergoing the process to become twinned with Timbuktu, though can't remember which country that's in - lol.....but yes, soon York and Timbuktu will be twinned :smile:

Timbuktu is in Mali.

I saw that on the local news,I was like, 'WTF!'
Reply 72
I also saw it on good old Look North with Carol Malia and, erm, the weatherman, what's he called again?

Can't remember, but the lass is called Trey Anfield or something like that.

PAUL MOONEY

That's the one. Legend :smile:
Reply 73
Aww, gotta love Paul Mooney and the awesome weather photo competitions!
:biggrin:
Becca
Aww, gotta love Paul Mooney and the awesome weather photo competitions!
:biggrin:

I sent him an email asking why Whitley Bay (my hometown) was hardly ever on the weather map, so he replied saying he'd add it for the Look North that evening. He even did the barometer check from there. What a legend :biggrin:

Alex
Reply 75
bigred
I sent him an email asking why Whitley Bay (my hometown) was hardly ever on the weather map, so he replied saying he'd add it for the Look North that evening. He even did the barometer check from there. What a legend :biggrin:

Alex

Awesome! I am so going to do that for my hometown! :biggrin:

Latest