The Student Room Group

Law at UCL or Gap- Reapply to Oxford?

Okay so this feels like a really silly post, but it's on my mind all the time and I needed to put this out there. I know this is a decision which at the end of the day I will need to make but I'm in a strange situation and I wanted to ask for your opinions.
I am planning on studying law at university, and I would like to go on to the bar and eventually work alongside organisations like Amnesty international and the UN. I've dreamt of applying to Oxford for a really long time...my AS grades were good, as were my GCSEs. However, when I submitted my application there was a mixup. Due to an admin error or some fault of my own, my LNAT score was not sent off to my universities. This resulted in me missing the Oxford deadline, because I didn't find out about this until after the deadline. Because my application was "incomplete", they refused to take it into full consideration.

However, I did meet the UCL deadline and was fortunate enough to receive an offer. I am so so grateful for this offer, and I know UCL has an amazing law department... but it's been my dream to attend Oxford since I was really small, and I feel like I didn't receive a fair shot. I love the academic environment and know I'd love the experience, and I'm also aware that it would help a lot in a career as a barrister. After talking to the college where I applied and, with the help of the company, explaining the situation, they said they were willing to give me preference for interview next year... but that, of course, guarantees nothing and is a big risk.

I'm really not sure what to do... any ideas? What would you do in this situation?
Original post by MrNC
Okay so this feels like a really silly post, but it's on my mind all the time and I needed to put this out there. I know this is a decision which at the end of the day I will need to make but I'm in a strange situation and I wanted to ask for your opinions.
I am planning on studying law at university, and I would like to go on to the bar and eventually work alongside organisations like Amnesty international and the UN. I've dreamt of applying to Oxford for a really long time...my AS grades were good, as were my GCSEs. However, when I submitted my application there was a mixup. Due to an admin error or some fault of my own, my LNAT score was not sent off to my universities. This resulted in me missing the Oxford deadline, because I didn't find out about this until after the deadline. Because my application was "incomplete", they refused to take it into full consideration.

However, I did meet the UCL deadline and was fortunate enough to receive an offer. I am so so grateful for this offer, and I know UCL has an amazing law department... but it's been my dream to attend Oxford since I was really small, and I feel like I didn't receive a fair shot. I love the academic environment and know I'd love the experience, and I'm also aware that it would help a lot in a career as a barrister. After talking to the college where I applied and, with the help of the company, explaining the situation, they said they were willing to give me preference for interview next year... but that, of course, guarantees nothing and is a big risk.

I'm really not sure what to do... any ideas? What would you do in this situation?

I think if I were you I'd reapply to Oxford, because the outcome of your first Oxford application was unfairly taken out of your own hands. However, as you say yourself, it depends on how you personally feel about the situation. Here are a few questions I'd ask myself in your position:

- How much do I like Oxford?
- Why do I like Oxford so much? Are these sensible reasons? Maybe discuss your reasons with parents/friends who may be able to give a less emotional perspective.
- How much do I like UCL and would I be happy there?
- Financially, can I afford to take a gap year?
- What would I do in my gap year? If you're going to take a gap year, you need to think of something productive to do with all that time, whether that be a job or travelling or whatever.
- If I were to not get an Oxford offer next year, would I feel like I'd wasted a year of my life or would I be able to take it on the chin?

Hope that was useful. Sorry to say it but it's ultimately up to you to decide. Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:
Tough choice. Depends on your willingness to give Oxford another shot. I understand how devastating it is to get an unfair rejection, but there is no guarantee the outcome would be different if your application was considered. Do you feel it's worth risking your place at UCL? There are more than one ways this could go wrong:

-Scoring worse than you did this year on the LNAT
-UCL being less willing to take you in next year (I'm not sure if turning them down to reapply would be held against you tho)
-Drifting away from coursework in your gap year.

If you do go with UCL, don't ever look back. There's no point in dwelling on the past and getting bogged down in 'what if' questions. As someone who experienced something vaguely similar last year (ended up at insurance choice, having missed the somewhat more reputable firm choice by a small margin) I can guarantee you will be happy no matter where you go. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
If you are going to take a gap year and reapply, make it count! Try and apply to gap year internships like the 8 month one at Pinsent Masons, and develop yourself in a way you may not have been able to without extra time. Therefore, if you don't get into Oxford, you won't feel like it was a wasted year. Another thing to think about is how UCL will consider your application if you re-apply, which if even more important if it's your prospective second choice. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by AnyRandomName
I think if I were you I'd reapply to Oxford, because the outcome of your first Oxford application was unfairly taken out of your own hands. However, as you say yourself, it depends on how you personally feel about the situation. Here are a few questions I'd ask myself in your position:

- How much do I like Oxford?
- Why do I like Oxford so much? Are these sensible reasons? Maybe discuss your reasons with parents/friends who may be able to give a less emotional perspective.
- How much do I like UCL and would I be happy there?
- Financially, can I afford to take a gap year?
- What would I do in my gap year? If you're going to take a gap year, you need to think of something productive to do with all that time, whether that be a job or travelling or whatever.
- If I were to not get an Oxford offer next year, would I feel like I'd wasted a year of my life or would I be able to take it on the chin?

Hope that was useful. Sorry to say it but it's ultimately up to you to decide. Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

Original post by Ratach
Tough choice. Depends on your willingness to give Oxford another shot. I understand how devastating it is to get an unfair rejection, but there is no guarantee the outcome would be different if your application was considered. Do you feel it's worth risking your place at UCL? There are more than one ways this could go wrong:

-Scoring worse than you did this year on the LNAT
-UCL being less willing to take you in next year (I'm not sure if turning them down to reapply would be held against you tho)
-Drifting away from coursework in your gap year.

If you do go with UCL, don't ever look back. There's no point in dwelling on the past and getting bogged down in 'what if' questions. As someone who experienced something vaguely similar last year (ended up at insurance choice, having missed the somewhat more reputable firm choice by a small margin) I can guarantee you will be happy no matter where you go. Good luck!

Original post by aworldalone
If you are going to take a gap year and reapply, make it count! Try and apply to gap year internships like the 8 month one at Pinsent Masons, and develop yourself in a way you may not have been able to without extra time. Therefore, if you don't get into Oxford, you won't feel like it was a wasted year. Another thing to think about is how UCL will consider your application if you re-apply, which if even more important if it's your prospective second choice. Good luck!

Thank you guys so so much for all of your input! I recieved my LNAT score this week and got a score of 34. I think I'm currently hoping now that this will all clear itself on results day, if I do well enough then I certainly want to give it another shot but definitely will firm UCL for the time being.

Thank you guys so much for all of your support! It means the world. I hope you are all well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending