The Student Room Group

Anyone doing AQA Physics B AS level?

Could you tell me what it's like in terms of difficulty? How much maths is involved?

Thanks as I'm considering doing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been told that it's much harder than AQA A. Personally, I have no way of proving that as I've only ever done AQA B. There is a huge step up from GCSE in terms of content in this specification as they start with arguably the hardest topics. There is definitely more formulas to use than at GCSE for AS but they actually tell you what they are used to work out at AS as opposed to GCSE where you are somewhat left in the dark. I would say you either need to have a good ability with algebraic manipulation or learn fast if you want to understands many of the physics or equations in this specification. This is because this specification in actually more theory heavy than the others. As such, the maths needs to be applied to specific situations and you need to understand what is going on to work out what you need to do.

So, to answer your question, maths does play a large part in AQA B. However, the theory is arguably more important.
Reply 2
What do you mean specifically by theory? Silly question I know but how do you differentiate between theory and maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
What do you mean specifically by theory? Silly question I know but how do you differentiate between theory and maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean the actual physics behind the equations. There is a lot of theory in physics and you will be surprised how long you can go without seeing an equation in lessons. By maths I mean the actually mathematical application through equations.
Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. You'd better like Physics a LOT, kid. Because otherwise, it's just not worth it. Seriously, my whole class got Us on their ASs it was so hard, and a lot of them were incredibly competent physicists. It's just a huge step up from GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest