The Student Room Group

Is your mum affectionate towards you??

Scroll to see replies

Very rarely, it's even worse with my dad. I don't think I've ever had a proper conversation with any of them, what makes this whole situation worse is that I feel awkward when I'm in the car with my dad, it's dead silence. This is probably why I feel extremely uncomfortable with affection or any lovey dovey stuff. My sister lives away from home, and whenver she calls and says "I love you", it makes me cringe and I just reply with "you too" and quickly hang up. I can't say the word "love" it just never comes out. Haha this probably makes me sound like an Ice Queen.
Reply 21
I was just birthday sex gone wrong. My whole family hates me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by prettyGirl101
My mum is not affectionate AT ALL towards me. Shes raised me and my siblings alone and went through alot so that may be why she is so cold but idk. She does show that she cares in different ways like giving us money and cooking for us but thats about it. I think my other siblings have been affected by this because theyre not touchy feely at all (other than my 3 yr old sis) but im still affectionate and will be so affectionate to my future children

Story of my life. She did change and now she's very affectionate but I'm not and it seems like I don't like her but I'm sure she understands she didn't raise me like that. It's weird now.
Hugging and showing emotion is not really something my mum does, or indeed do most of the family.
Reply 24
Original post by awkwardgal
Yes, very affectionate. It drives me crazy because I hate hugging, kissing etc - it just feels like an unnecessary invasion of my personal space. I've felt this way from when I was quite young but my both my parents are still very tactile towards me.

I totally get this because I'm the same way. She is affectionate towards me, but I just don't care for all the huggy kissy stuff. I suppose you could say she's found different ways of expressing her love for me; just last night she asked me to come watch a documentary with her since she wanted to spend time with me because I'll be leaving for Uni soon enough. She knows I don't like all the physical contact stuff so she shows intimacy by spending time with me, even if its just watching lions hunt buffalo together.:biggrin:
I don't have a mum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're not really a "cuddles and kisses" type of family, but we do sometimes hug before we go to bed, or if one of us is going out we will hug while we say goodbye. We're really close, will say we love each other all the time, and talk about everything. So yes, she is affectionate, but we're not the type of people who cuddle up in bed together (I do have friends my age who do that with their parents, and I have no idea if it's them or me who are abnormal, lol).
Yeah both my parents are. Always available for a cuddle, and at the end of a phone call/before I go to bed/when I go out there's always an 'I love you'. I know they're there whenever I need them, I'm very lucky really.
Yes. My mother has the art of mollycoddling down to a T. :nothing:
Original post by drowzee
Very rarely, it's even worse with my dad. I don't think I've ever had a proper conversation with any of them, what makes this whole situation worse is that I feel awkward when I'm in the car with my dad, it's dead silence. This is probably why I feel extremely uncomfortable with affection or any lovey dovey stuff. My sister lives away from home, and whenver she calls and says "I love you", it makes me cringe and I just reply with "you too" and quickly hang up. I can't say the word "love" it just never comes out. Haha this probably makes me sound like an Ice Queen.

Woah that sucks :frown: do u think your lack of affection and hatred of the word love is due to them?

Original post by carlaraptor
No she was never very affectionate... I was the one who had to ask for hugs etc, and she always seemed to want to get on with whatever she was doing/like I was bothering her. I've always been very affectionate, always wanted cuddles. She never really said she loved me until I was in my late teens. I think maybe she just wasn't maternal in that way? She was a wonderful mum in that she provided for me, cooked for me, took care of me. But emotionally she was quite unavailable... she had her own issues I guess. It used to upset me a lot, particularly as I didn't know my dad as a child and had no siblings (though I now know I have two older half brothers, on my dad's side).

She's a lot different now though... maybe because I moved away so we don't get to see each other that much. She's now definitely more cuddly and tells me she loves me every time we speak, etc. I don't want to make it seem like I'm ungrateful to her because I don't think she was like that on purpose, and I love her to bits. But I do know that when I have kids, I'll definitely make sure they get lots of cuddles.

The first paragraph is literally the story of my life now. Maybe when I move out in a couple of years, my mum will actually be grateful for my existence
Original post by prettyGirl101
She probably doesnt mean it

Ohhhh she definitely does
I'm a mum and I'm not very touchy feely either. I do love my kids very much but I'm not really the close personal contact type. That stems from my own mum who was very very tactile because her mum (stay with me here), my nan, was not affectionate. So it seems we can become the opposites of what we experienced as youngsters. I didn't really like the tactile side of things.

If my girls are upset I give them a hug don't get me wrong but I'm not an arm-linking mum or a cuddles on the sofa mum either.

I don't think my girls mind but it's never come up - maybe I will ask.
Reply 32
my mum isn't affectionate at all, after walking out on my dad she looks at her kids like a burden, I hardly see her, shes too selfish, doesn't even cook or give me hugs or kisses, never tells me she loves me :l
My mum left when I was 14 and she only sees me once a month to give me money or take me shopping. Even if I do see her there are no hugs/kisses but she has so much affection for my younger brothers (I'm the oldest). To think about it not once have I said "I love you" to my parents haha.

Either way it doesn't bother me at all
Reply 34
My mum was very affectionate. I think I'm moderately affectionate with people I'm close to.
My mum would give amazing hugs :cry2:
Original post by mkap
my mum isn't affectionate at all, after walking out on my dad she looks at her kids like a burden, I hardly see her, shes too selfish, doesn't even cook or give me hugs or kisses, never tells me she loves me :l

:console::jumphug:
Not really. I think the only time we've said I love you to each other was when I was in hospital a few years ago.

Just because we're not always displaying affection doesn't mean it's not there though, I know she's there if I want to talk about anything. I think it's probably because I'm a bit awkward though, she doesn't know what to do :colondollar:
She was up until I hit my teens then the atmosphere between us turned toxic, I lost any sense of love for her and she said that she loved me as a daughter but hated me as a person. Looking back there was a lot of crap going on that I didn't even realize back then wasn't normal for a child to grow up with, and I suspect my mum has mental issues that she denies she even has. Now if either of us shows each other affection it is very much forced and grudging, but we both fake it anyway to try and have some semblance of a normal mother daughter relationship.

I can only tolerate seeing her once a month. Any more than that makes me physically ill, not even exaggerating. Her very presence kicks off my IBS.
Original post by und3niable_
My life as well. My mum is a nice person but I wish she would show me some more damned emotion. I also feel like it will have a huge detrimental effect on my future relationships because I'm not v touchy feely.

same here!!! No-one in my family hugs or kisses each other lol so i've turned out to be quite emotionless tbh..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending