The Student Room Group

Boyfriend Advice

For some background: I met him on the first day of university. We became a couple and dated throughout the first semester. He introduced me to his family and was very affectionate in the beginning. Midterms and finals came and we spend less time together, of course so we could focus on getting good grades. Before summer came, he told me "be sure to reach out because I tend to forget" This is true...sometimes it seems he ignores me for days, and even sometimes in person he will see me and walk past me without acknowledging me. Why does he do this? Why is he so hot and cold? Now that it is summer, I see a dwindling in his communication towards me. Now its been about 2 full days with no communication and before...just small texts here and there that that I would initiate and he would end by just not replying. When I have confronted him about this behavior in the past...he always has a reason and its always "I love you, I want to be with you." and then he will reach out more for a couple days after. I also should note that the last time I saw him in person, I asked for his phone because I wanted a specific picture of us he took, and he weirdly said no and that he's deleted all our pictures. granted he ALWAYS only had 10 pictures on his phone...but usually he would just hand me his phone. I am not sure what to think and I am super confused. Should I just leave the relationship?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
For some background: I met him on the first day of university. We became a couple and dated throughout the first semester. He introduced me to his family and was very affectionate in the beginning. Midterms and finals came and we spend less time together, of course so we could focus on getting good grades. Before summer came, he told me "be sure to reach out because I tend to forget" This is true...sometimes it seems he ignores me for days, and even sometimes in person he will see me and walk past me without acknowledging me. Why does he do this? Why is he so hot and cold? Now that it is summer, I see a dwindling in his communication towards me. Now its been about 2 full days with no communication and before...just small texts here and there that that I would initiate and he would end by just not replying. When I have confronted him about this behavior in the past...he always has a reason and its always "I love you, I want to be with you." and then he will reach out more for a couple days after. I also should note that the last time I saw him in person, I asked for his phone because I wanted a specific picture of us he took, and he weirdly said no and that he's deleted all our pictures. granted he ALWAYS only had 10 pictures on his phone...but usually he would just hand me his phone. I am not sure what to think and I am super confused. Should I just leave the relationship?

Just ask him what does he want? If he replies properly and is ready to restart everything normally, be with him. Otherwise, it would be wise to move on if someone doesn't value the way you deserve.
Reply 2
Original post by Meheraj
Just ask him what does he want? If he replies properly and is ready to restart everything normally, be with him. Otherwise, it would be wise to move on if someone doesn't value the way you deserve.

Thank you so much for replying. I did that at one point, and he immediately resorted to breaking up with me. After talking about it- he admitted he didn't want to break up. Then everything was fine and months passed. but it seems he continues the exact behavior of this hot and cold. He says he wants me, but his actions... So we did restart but now we are here and I am not sure what even "here" is. If I am being naive and dumb, just say so.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for replying. I did that at one point, and he immediately resorted to breaking up with me. After talking about it- he admitted he didn't want to break up. Then everything was fine and months passed. but it seems he continues the exact behavior of this hot and cold. He says he wants me, but his actions... So we did restart but now we are here and I am not sure what even "here" is. If I am being naive and dumb, just say so.

You're very welcome! :smile: Since he's done the same thing a few times, just give him a last warning and tell him it'll be the last time you're being considerate. If he does again, it would be better to dump him. I know it might be difficult for someone like you who cares dearly for him. But you won't have other options rather than doing it for your own good. I don't know if that makes sense.
Reply 4
Original post by Meheraj
You're very welcome! :smile: Since he's done the same thing a few times, just give him a last warning and tell him it'll be the last time you're being considerate. If he does again, it would be better to dump him. I know it might be difficult for someone like you who cares dearly for him. But you won't have other options rather than doing it for your own good. I don't know if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense, and you are right. It is hard to let go, but I see how the relationship is one-sided. Thank you for the advice, it put things into perspective.
Reply 5
It makes perfect sense, and you are right. It is hard to let go, but I see how the relationship is one-sided. Thank you for the advice, it put things into perspective.

Sounds good then. :smile: Yeah, it is. No worries! :smile: Good luck! :crossedf:

Yes break up
i assume he was the one that asked you out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending