The Student Room Group

Is your mum affectionate towards you??

My mum is not affectionate AT ALL towards me. Shes raised me and my siblings alone and went through alot so that may be why she is so cold but idk. She does show that she cares in different ways like giving us money and cooking for us but thats about it. I think my other siblings have been affected by this because theyre not touchy feely at all (other than my 3 yr old sis) but im still affectionate and will be so affectionate to my future children

Scroll to see replies

Very. She forehead kissed me the other day. Bit weird actually
Reply 2
Yes but she acts more like a sister. We fight and argue like sisters but I know she loves me. She hugs me whenever she sees me, texts me all throughout the day and always sends me an 'I love you' text at night.
I despise my mother and she regrets having me
So it's your regular dysfunctional family
Original post by The Lonely don
I despise my mother and she regrets having me
So it's your regular dysfunctional family

She probably doesnt mean it
I remember her calling me for a cuddle on the sofa when I was abut 8. I think that was when her depression started, although I did not work that out until years later.

I cannot remember any more cuddles or kisses after that.

She did send me a St Valentine's Day card when I had left home, in case nobody else had. It made me cry.
Original post by prettyGirl101
My mum is not affectionate AT ALL towards me. Shes raised me and my siblings alone and went through alot so that may be why she is so cold but idk. She does show that she cares in different ways like giving us money and cooking for us but thats about it. I think my other siblings have been affected by this because theyre not touchy feely at all (other than my 3 yr old sis) but im still affectionate and will be so affectionate to my future children

My life as well. My mum is a nice person but I wish she would show me some more damned emotion. I also feel like it will have a huge detrimental effect on my future relationships because I'm not v touchy feely. But I am to smother my future children [If I've any] with love.

Did you have anyone else in your life who provided you with the emotional fulfillment?
Yes, very affectionate. It drives me crazy because I hate hugging, kissing etc - it just feels like an unnecessary invasion of my personal space. I've felt this way from when I was quite young but my both my parents are still very tactile towards me.
Yeah, i have other relatives who love and value me. My mum does too (she has the biggest heart i know of) but i guess some of my other aunties are more affectionate.

Ive always been abit of a lone wolf though and im my own best friend so i dont really require much affection but there are days (like today as im so ill) that i wish i had someone in my life who cuddled and made a fuss but Hopefully my future husband will show me affection :smile:

Original post by und3niable_
My life as well. My mum is a nice person but I wish she would show me some more damned emotion. I also feel like it will have a huge detrimental effect on my future relationships because I'm not v touchy feely. But I am to smother my future children [If I've any] with love.

Did you have anyone else in your life who provided you with the emotional fulfillment?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Yes she is.
Original post by prettyGirl101
Yeah, i have other relatives who love and value me. My mum does too (she has the biggest heart i know of) but i guess some of my other aunties are more affectionate.

Ive always been abit of a lone wolf though and im my own best friend so i dont really require much affection but there are days (like today as im so ill) that i had someone in my life who cuddled and made a fuss but Hopefully my future husband will show me affection :smile:

Aw well you sound lovely and same here, my auntie is like the sister I never had. All the best!:smile:
My mum isn't that affectionate, its more my dad that is.
I hate my temperamental mum AND my psychological bully dad.

It's a nigerian culture i'm living in. You can't just make sense with my mum, she makes her disability a BIG DEAL which isn't really bad. I'm glad to disown myself when i go uni in september as i don't plan to talk to them anymore.
wish* i had someone in my life who cuddled (just corrected a little mistake in that sentence)

and thanks love. same to you

Original post by und3niable_
Aw well you sound lovely and same here, my auntie is like the sister I never had. All the best!:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I hate my temperamental mum AND my psychological bully dad.

It's a nigerian culture i'm living in. You can't just make sense with my mum, she makes her disability a BIG DEAL which isn't really bad. I'm glad to disown myself when i go uni in september as i don't plan to talk to them anymore.

african parents eh?
its how thety were raised i guess as they grew up in a more disciplined, harsher generation
Just the right amount. I'm not a very affectionate person so I don't like constant hugging etc.
She's not unaffectionate, but she doesn't go out of her way to give it. If I was upset or it was a special occasion she would though. It's a shame because I love affection...so I mostly get it from men I date and friends.
Very, always get hugs and kisses on the cheek when I see her
I'm the one that smothers her, she's a real cutie. But she wasn't hugged or kissed much as a child and so she said she went against that ad tried to be as cuddly as possible with us. It worked we adore her.

My dad on the other hand totally hugless, touchless, emotionaless... :,(
No she was never very affectionate... I was the one who had to ask for hugs etc, and she always seemed to want to get on with whatever she was doing/like I was bothering her. I've always been very affectionate, always wanted cuddles. She never really said she loved me until I was in my late teens. I think maybe she just wasn't maternal in that way? She was a wonderful mum in that she provided for me, cooked for me, took care of me. But emotionally she was quite unavailable... she had her own issues I guess. It used to upset me a lot, particularly as I didn't know my dad as a child and had no siblings (though I now know I have two older half brothers, on my dad's side).

She's a lot different now though... maybe because I moved away so we don't get to see each other that much. She's now definitely more cuddly and tells me she loves me every time we speak, etc. I don't want to make it seem like I'm ungrateful to her because I don't think she was like that on purpose, and I love her to bits. But I do know that when I have kids, I'll definitely make sure they get lots of cuddles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending