The Student Room Group

First car help

What is your budget?
No real budget, preferably cheap, however car quality will be considered.
What is going to be the main use of the car?
Commuting from mums to dads hosue every weeked. 30 min journey.
How many passenger will you usually be carrying?
How big a boot do you need?
No real need
Specific tasks you will be doing?
driving to shops, work and between houses.
Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
The 3 cars that we've narrowed down to are-
Peugeot 107 ~£4500
Suzuki Alto SZ3 ~£4000
Hyundai i10 ~£5300

Also in terms of overall cost (insurance) , The Peugeot is the cheapest, followed by the Suzuki and then the Hyundai. Overall the costs are about Suzuki=Peugeot, then with the Hyundai being about £1,100 more overall
What features in the car are important to you?
The less inside noise the better.
Decent audio and technical systems
I'd prefer it to look nice, that's why I prefer the i10
What gearbox do you want?
Manual
Are aesthetics of the car important?
Yes
Special requirements?
Cheap insurance (which all 3 are)
Will run without any problems.
What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
All I can say, is "oh dear".

The Suzuki will hold it's value better than the others, but they are really just 3 pointless cars. They're all too small for carrying adult passengers comfortably, and the stock sound systems are ... inadequate to say the least.

You should consider looking at the Peugeot 206/7, Suzuki Swift, or Hyundai i20, of which I'd recommend a 4-door Swift with the 1.3 litre engine (they even do a Diesel) if insurance is a big concern, but I imagine it's not a lot more cost for a lot more car. In fact, £4000 will buy you a VERY nice example of a Swift (you could even get one for around £3000 and have an extra £1000 for insurance)

Ultimately you're looking at 3 cars worth £4-5k that in 2 years time won't be worth half that. In 5 years' time they'll likely be found sitting on a scrap heap because maintenance costs are more than the cars value.
Reply 2
Original post by danty
All I can say, is "oh dear".

The Suzuki will hold it's value better than the others, but they are really just 3 pointless cars. They're all too small for carrying adult passengers comfortably, and the stock sound systems are ... inadequate to say the least.

You should consider looking at the Peugeot 206/7, Suzuki Swift, or Hyundai i20, of which I'd recommend a 4-door Swift with the 1.3 litre engine (they even do a Diesel) if insurance is a big concern, but I imagine it's not a lot more cost for a lot more car. In fact, £4000 will buy you a VERY nice example of a Swift (you could even get one for around £3000 and have an extra £1000 for insurance)

Ultimately you're looking at 3 cars worth £4-5k that in 2 years time won't be worth half that. In 5 years' time they'll likely be found sitting on a scrap heap because maintenance costs are more than the cars value.

Thanks for the help, I'm obviously new to first time car buying and although i like cars, I have never really looked at what car to get as my first car. I assume you have a reasonably large amount of experiecne in this area. Would you reccomend the Suzuki Swift out of all potential first time drivers cars? My Dad is a bit clueless when it comes to cars so all he's really looking for a is a newish car with cheap insurance. Any help would be appreciated. If you were in my situation again what would you do?
Original post by BennSmith
What is your budget?
No real budget, preferably cheap, however car quality will be considered.
What is going to be the main use of the car?
Commuting from mums to dads hosue every weeked. 30 min journey.
How many passenger will you usually be carrying?
How big a boot do you need?
No real need
Specific tasks you will be doing?
driving to shops, work and between houses.
Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
The 3 cars that we've narrowed down to are-
Peugeot 107 ~£4500
Suzuki Alto SZ3 ~£4000
Hyundai i10 ~£5300

Also in terms of overall cost (insurance) , The Peugeot is the cheapest, followed by the Suzuki and then the Hyundai. Overall the costs are about Suzuki=Peugeot, then with the Hyundai being about £1,100 more overall
What features in the car are important to you?
The less inside noise the better.
Decent audio and technical systems
I'd prefer it to look nice, that's why I prefer the i10
What gearbox do you want?
Manual
Are aesthetics of the car important?
Yes
Special requirements?
Cheap insurance (which all 3 are)
Will run without any problems.
What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

Those 3 cars like the gentleman before said are very basic tbh.
If you have a budget of around 5k then i would say consider the suzuki swift as it is a good all round car with good reliability too. However personally I would look into a ford fiesta either the 1.0ltr or 1.2ltr models. The 1.0ltr comes in a eco boost model which really has some get up and go with very good reliability and mpg too. Also you can get one only a few years old for around 4-5k. The other car i would suggest to you is the volkswagen polo, its german so is one of the best for quality. Another thing is that this car is also very economic and looks good too.
The peugeot 107 is basic and from personal experience both the 206 and 207 arnt very good cars so id stay away from them.

Other cars worth considering are,
Vauxhall corsa (however it is a bit chavy)
Renault Clio
Fiat 500 (however it is a bit girly)
Toyota Yaris (very safe and reliable car)

I also suggest for any car that you go and have a look at because you said you arnt very knowledgeable about cars maybe take a mechanic with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for the help, I'm obviously new to first time car buying and although i like cars, I have never really looked at what car to get as my first car. I assume you have a reasonably large amount of experiecne in this area. Would you reccomend the Suzuki Swift out of all potential first time drivers cars? My Dad is a bit clueless when it comes to cars so all he's really looking for a is a newish car with cheap insurance. Any help would be appreciated. If you were in my situation again what would you do?

Ultimately buying a car comes down to personal preference, but every car has it's own flaws and one man's trash is another's treasure. Except Smart cars. They're just trash.

I'm a 26 year old male who has been driving for around 8 years. While I've only had a few cars myself (and I *always* choose the bad ones!) I've helped several friends and family members in the hunt for their perfect car - it helps to just look at what's about and see what takes your fancy.

I started out with a Fiesta - probably the most sensible car choice as it was bought for me by my parents. I hated the car so much I never took a photo of it, and I regret it now.
I moved on to a Hyundai Accent and bought a Triumph Herald as a second car. I then got rid of both and now I drive a Proton Satria Neo. Pictures are attached.

When you're looking at a car that's been around for a while, compare the difference in price between the one you're looking at and one that's 3 years older. If the price gap is more than 50%, I'd say best to leave it alone.

~Matt
If you have £5,000 and intend to do one return journey of 30 minutes per week, I'd go for something a bit better than a gutless piece of French merde. Go for something a bit more interesting :wink:
Reply 6
Hi Guys, thanks for all the help!

Unfortunately even thought I'm trying to help him and give him an alternative, my dad is still persistent on getting on the cars I've listed :frown: He told me to stop listening to the forums and do what I've asked you to do (get insurance prices on the cars). I'm not gonna argue with him because at the end of the day it's his money and he is being kind enough to buy me a car, I certainly wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise!
Thanks for all the advice, I will keep it in mind when I go round to buying a car with my own money :smile:
Reply 7

Unfortunately even thought I'm trying to help him and give him an alternative, my dad is still persistent on getting on the cars I've listed :frown: He told me to stop listening to the forums and do what I've asked you to do (get insurance prices on the cars). I'm not gonna argue with him because at the end of the day it's his money and he is being kind enough to buy me a car, I certainly wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise!
Thanks for all the advice, I will keep it in mind when I go round to buying a car with my own money :smile:

In that case, buy the Suzuki if the insurance isn't too hefty. It'll have the best resale value of the 3 when it comes to selling it on to buy your next car.
Yep the suzuki is your best option in all ways, its going to hold its value and also has best spec and features providing the insurance isnt an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before even considering to buy the car.....get your dad to test drive it and touch all the little features......maybe it'll get him to change his mind and consider something like the Swift which is far better.

Get him to look at car reviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending