The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It depends on what you want to do in the future. Most of the uni will accept BTEC unless you want to get into, uni like Cambridge, Oxford etc. I have never done A-level before, but I am doing a BTEC level 3 IT course, the work load is pretty intensive as it is equivalent to a level.

The course is quite hands on as well, meaning you in few of the units you have to produce a final product before you can pass, you have to produce something like a photoshoped image, flash animation, website etc.

If Computer Science is what you want to do in uni then do a level maths and physics because most of the course is based on mathematics and theory.

BTEC may also restrict you from doing other courses in uni as well, because most of the time they ask for a relevant BTEC qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by (Brian)
It depends on what you want to do in the future. Most of the uni will accept BTEC unless you want to get into, uni like Cambridge, Oxford etc. I have never done A-level before, but I am doing a BTEC level 3 IT course, the work load is pretty intensive as it is equivalent to a level.

The course is quite hands on as well, meaning you in few of the units you have to produce a final product before you can pass, you have to produce something like a photoshoped image, flash animation, website etc.

If Computer Science is what you want to do in uni then do a level maths and physics because most of the course is based on mathematics and theory.

BTEC may also restrict you from doing other courses in uni as well, because most of the time they ask for a relevant BTEC qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if I am doing the BTEC along side the A Levels could I get into the better universities?
Reply 3
You would have a lot of work to do. Because a BTEC level 3, I think is equal to 2 a level. The assignments in BTEC is not like one line answer you are expected to write about a 1000 to 2000 words for each assignments, similar to university course work. And you would have one to two assignments each month or more.
Reply 4
it depends what type you take, the Subsid. diploma is worth 1 A level and you would take that with at least 2 other A levels, the Diploma is worth 2 and you would need to take 1 extra A level(Maths would be a good choice here) and the Extended diploma is worth 3 A levels so you dont really need to take another A level with it (you can but your work load would be insane!) and the Extended will get you into most unis for CompSci however some may ask you to have Maths on top, best idea is to start researching unis and see who wants what.

it tends to only be the top 10-15 unis who want the maths on top of the BTEC, personally i believe that the VTEC is better preperation for CompSci (providing you take the programming and technical hardware units) I took the extended diploma on its own and got into all my uni choices, I currently study CompSci at Royal Holloway, and a lot of it is very similar to the BTEC.

I think you will be fine whatever route you take, but if you are looking to go to a really top uni check if the want maths first, btw Oxfords BTEC requirements are DDD in IT BTEC + A* in A level Maths (fpalmer) :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by (Brian)
You would have a lot of work to do. Because a BTEC level 3, I think is equal to 2 a level. The assignments in BTEC is not like one line answer you are expected to write about a 1000 to 2000 words for each assignments, similar to university course work. And you would have one to two assignments each month or more.

Bit inaccurate don't you think? 1000 words is a cake walk..
Original post by fpalmer
So basically my school doesn't offer any GCSE or A Level in Computing so i was thinking that if i do a BTEC in computing then take an A Level in Physics, Maths and Further Maths then that would be a good combination but i have been researching this and people have said BTECs aren't good as they don't have any examinations.
So what do you think about this? Should i take a BTEC in computing and A Levels in Physics, Maths and Further Maths or is there an alternative?

Seems like you have it all raveled up.. Provided you work hard enough most-all places will accept you with the final route you've decided to take... If you plan to go Oxford you'll be expected to get some amazing results on the MAT test before they offer you anything :smile:
Well, I'm currently doing the BTEC Level 3 IT, and I'm hoping to study Computer Science this year at university.
I spend a lot of my time debugging Kernel crashes in Windows, and I've started to learn some C, C++ and Assembly programming; so I'm well prepared for what Computer Science is all about.
The amount of points I'm predicted (420 UCAS) is well above the requirements, it's really easy to get that amount of points; so if the universities do not require A levels, it's very easy to get in.
However, the problem is that the BTEC is nothing like Computer Science, you will have to teach a lot of it yourself if that's the route you want to go down... I did very poorly in my GCSEs at school, in fact I'm retaking my GCSE English and Maths, so I never got the chance to take A levels. Computing at A level is fantasic, it is very good, I've helped a few of my friends out with that A level, despite not doing it myself.
Reply 7
Original post by Jared44
Well, I'm currently doing the BTEC Level 3 IT, and I'm hoping to study Computer Science this year at university.
I spend a lot of my time debugging Kernel crashes in Windows, and I've started to learn some C, C++ and Assembly programming; so I'm well prepared for what Computer Science is all about.
The amount of points I'm predicted (420 UCAS) is well above the requirements, it's really easy to get that amount of points; so if the universities do not require A levels, it's very easy to get in.
However, the problem is that the BTEC is nothing like Computer Science, you will have to teach a lot of it yourself if that's the route you want to go down... I did very poorly in my GCSEs at school, in fact I'm retaking my GCSE English and Maths, so I never got the chance to take A levels. Computing at A level is fantasic, it is very good, I've helped a few of my friends out with that A level, despite not doing it myself.

Really? I think the BTEC is exactly like CS at uni, I'm in my first year of my CS degree now and some of the modules I do are nearly identical in content to similar topics taught on the IT BTEC
What modules are like the ones in your BTEC? Mine is the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma .
Reply 9
Original post by Jared44
What modules are like the ones in your BTEC? Mine is the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma .

yeah mine was the same a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT, it depends what your college chooses to teach though.

I do a modules at university called 'Internet Services' which is just like 'unit 9' and 'Machine Fundamentals' which is just like 'unit 19'

Most of what i do at uni is programming and i did a lot of programming on the IT BTEC which has helped immensely.

Latest

Trending

Trending