The Student Room Group

Winter itch/rash?

Hi,

I was born and living my whole life in an EU country where we had extremely freezing winters (once it dropped to -30C degrees!), but I moved to UK to study and the past 2 winters were much warmer for me compared to my native country. BUT, this year's winter seems to be way colder than the previous ones, with temperature dropping below 0. So I started having since last month this itching rash appearing on my legs and hands which puzzles me a lot! I used to have an episode where I got extreme allergic reaction to the laundry powder (some idiot students threw it directly inside the washing machine) and since then my skin got very sensitive, I had to switch to all sensitive/non-bio products just to be on a safer side. Anyway, I was worried I might have eaten/got in touch with sth to cause this rash but I've been careful all the time so nothing new was in my life. Yesterday when I went home I decided to keep my hand outside, not in my pocket or cover it with glove and my whole hand started itching like crazy and was covered in rash. Everything calmed down once I'm back home where it is warm.

So I wonder if it's because of the cold? Is my skin very dry? I tried moisturising it and wearing warm gloves, I also wear thermal leggings and so on but the rash still appears and it has never happened to me before, like never ever. Could my skin get so over-sensitive over the years?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks, but luckily that's not it. Btw, how did you get to this?

No, my fingers do not get not frozen and there is no colour change in the skin, at least not that drastic! My hands' temperature stays pretty much the same unless I start scratching the skin and then it gets hotter, the skin gets puffy with small rash lumps appearing, in general once I start scratching my hands become red and there is this tinkling feeling. I do feel a little bit dizzy, as if my whole body was going through allergic reaction, it's odd but I feel as if I'm full with histamine (in allergy cells release histamine etc).

The itching is also on my legs and only when I scratch my skin does the rash appear. If I force my will and not touch the itching area, after a while it stops itching but it's itching so badly I cannot stand still even!
(edited 9 years ago)
Need to see a GP, and monitor your situation with a diary.

I have Raynaud's. Was much more severe as a teen, now only when I'm stressed. Otherwise, it's mild. Yes, what you have doesn't sound like Raynaud's, but really, don't take my advice, see a GP.

Good luck. x
Reply 4
Thanks a lot! I'm on my way to see a GP now.

Quick Reply

Latest