The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Does Hull stand out as a good university in law?

Hello, I have been offered a place at Hull at Law with Philosophy and I would like to know if Hull is good regarding the courses and lectures, as I am interested particularly in this academic aspect. In other words, does it represent a proper educational environment?
Reply 1
It does, my friend go's to hull and he is doing ace! he loves every minute of it! he has a part time job in the summer waiting for him in a law firm!!!
also,
I have made a facebook group for all the hull 2015-2016 firmers and freshers. It is run by me and I want a few admins to help me run it! It is run by REAL people who ARE going to Hull University in September 2015! So if you want the latest news, nights out, get to know people and feel comfortable before you go to university, why not join the group!
Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/800830706619343/
Good luck everyone, see you in the group!
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Got accepted into same course in 2011, yes it represents a 'proper educational environment'. It's quite a heavy degree (mostly from law reading - I don't think straight philosophy would be that hard at all) so you won't have much time to dedicate to anything else like a sports club. I knew people who managed to go out every Saturday but I couldn't.

Sometimes 2nd and 3rd years sell used books for cheaper which can help. Revision guides from the Waterstones can also help.

The lectures are fine. Some might be better than others but they're only a backbone to what you need to read yourself.

You'll be in Larkin and Wilberforce buildings mainly. Wilberforce looks grim from the outside but nice inside. On the whole the campus is small, navigable, green and underrated.

If you want to know anything specific just ask. :smile: Maybe quote this line so it alerts me.
Original post by TimeWalker
Got accepted into same course in 2011, yes it represents a 'proper educational environment'. It's quite a heavy degree (mostly from law reading - I don't think straight philosophy would be that hard at all) so you won't have much time to dedicate to anything else like a sports club. I knew people who managed to go out every Saturday but I couldn't.

Sometimes 2nd and 3rd years sell used books for cheaper which can help. Revision guides from the Waterstones can also help.

The lectures are fine. Some might be better than others but they're only a backbone to what you need to read yourself.

You'll be in Larkin and Wilberforce buildings mainly. Wilberforce looks grim from the outside but nice inside. On the whole the campus is small, navigable, green and underrated.

If you want to know anything specific just ask. :smile: Maybe quote this line so it alerts me.

Don't underestimate Philosophy. :wink:

What's the nightlife at Hull like? Also, what's the SU like in terms of putting together events; costs of tickets and etc? Is it worth it?

I love the sound of the course, but I am concerned that I've been told Hull is a "dull" place and a bit rural. Also would you pay attention to stats in terms of how much graduates get paid after their degree? Hull is the lowest being £13K if I were to graduate there and Uni of Essex (my highest) being £18K? Is this work considering or should I take this with a pinch of salt?

It's funny cause I'm already in uni and I've done this before but I just don't want to regret leaving all my friends I'll consider life-long friends at my current uni behind!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Don't underestimate Philosophy. :wink:

What's the nightlife at Hull like? Also, what's the SU like in terms of putting together events; costs of tickets and etc? Is it worth it?

The nightlife is supposed to be good because Hull has places on the way into and in the city centre. I couldn't go out much. The buses are nice and cheap. The campus has its own club.

The SU is one of the better ones and puts on quite a few events around introduction week (like ice skating) and the end of year (the end of year ball is really good). I don't know what you mean by 'is it worth it' - do you mean attending stuff or becoming involved with the SU?

I love the sound of the course, but I am concerned that I've been told Hull is a "dull" place and a bit rural. Also would you pay attention to stats in terms of how much graduates get paid after their degree? Hull is the lowest being £13K if I were to graduate there and Uni of Essex (my highest) being £18K? Is this work considering or should I take this with a pinch of salt?

It kind of is a bit flat and rural. The uni is in the outskirts/suburbs which are more leafy. I preferred that it wasn't a city campus and I enjoyed the space.

I don't know what to say about those stats, I'm not sure where they're from. Pay scale is more to do with circumstances, sector and type of work, which obviously can vary between places you might go next. A degree from Hull is fine (ignore the stigma associated with the town).

It's funny cause I'm already in uni and I've done this before but I just don't want to regret leaving all my friends I'll consider life-long friends at my current uni behind!

I take it you might be transferring. We live in the age of communication - why not 2 sets of lifelong friends? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
The nightlife is supposed to be good because Hull has places on the way into and in the city centre. I couldn't go out much. The buses are nice and cheap. The campus has its own club.

The SU is one of the better ones and puts on quite a few events around introduction week (like ice skating) and the end of year (the end of year ball is really good). I don't know what you mean by 'is it worth it' - do you mean attending stuff or becoming involved with the SU?

It kind of is a bit flat and rural. The uni is in the outskirts/suburbs which are more leafy. I preferred that it wasn't a city campus and I enjoyed the space.

I don't know what to say about those stats, I'm not sure where they're from. Pay scale is more to do with circumstances, sector and type of work, which obviously can vary between places you might go next. A degree from Hull is fine (ignore the stigma associated with the town).

I take it you might be transferring. We live in the age of communication - why not 2 sets of lifelong friends? :biggrin:

I meant is the tickets worth the money for like their events or are they overpriced?

If Uni of Hull is not a city campus like Leeds, what do you call a non-city one? I don't mind not being in a massive city, but I'd like it, if it wasn't far away from town? (I will be going to the applicant day next week, but it's still nice to hear others' experiences).

I got them from whichuni and unistats. I will be restarting from L1 as I didn't take any Philosophy modules at my current uni. Well yes that is true, but I already find it so difficult in seeing my home friends when I return from uni! I've always preferred having a smaller group of friends. But I'll defo be going to Swansea when I can to see them all!
I meant is the tickets worth the money for like their events or are they overpriced?

If Uni of Hull is not a city campus like Leeds, what do you call a non-city one? I don't mind not being in a massive city, but I'd like it, if it wasn't far away from town? (I will be going to the applicant day next week, but it's still nice to hear others' experiences).

I got them from whichuni and unistats. I will be restarting from L1 as I didn't take any Philosophy modules at my current uni. Well yes that is true, but I already find it so difficult in seeing my home friends when I return from uni! I've always preferred having a smaller group of friends. But I'll defo be going to Swansea when I can to see them all!

Not sure about tickets for most events, I think they're normal or even free. I mainly went to the end of year balls which cost a bit - about 40. For me it was worth it because of all the things they put on.

I meant it's located further out from the centre. Met campuses tend to be city campuses because they're more central.

The philosophy department is small and friendly (I guess most would be) so you'll benefit. By the way the uni library is great and has been refurbished.
Not sure about tickets for most events, I think they're normal or even free. I mainly went to the end of year balls which cost a bit - about 40. For me it was worth it because of all the things they put on.

I meant it's located further out from the centre. Met campuses tend to be city campuses because they're more central.

The philosophy department is small and friendly (I guess most would be) so you'll benefit. By the way the uni library is great and has been refurbished.

Oh that's good. My current uni one is £60. Does Hull have wrist band packages?

Do you think I should consider grades? For instance, Essex gave me an unconditional for their ABB course, when I got BBC at A-level and Hull is 300 ucas, equivalent to BBB. Do you think I should stick with Hull as it's less ucas points? (I got a D at AS General); 320 ucas for me.
Which brings me onto my next question: should I be considering league tables?
Oh that's good. My current uni one is £60. Does Hull have wrist band packages?

Do you think I should consider grades? For instance, Essex gave me an unconditional for their ABB course, when I got BBC at A-level and Hull is 300 ucas, equivalent to BBB. Do you think I should stick with Hull as it's less ucas points? (I got a D at AS General); 320 ucas for me.
Which brings me onto my next question: should I be considering league tables?

Hull has a wrist band deal. I didn't get one but it got people discounts to events at local venues throughout the year which made them happy.

I wouldn't worry about grades...you have an unconditional for one course and enough points for Hull's. So there's no reason to select one purely on lower grades. From my experience the entry grades, even if slightly different, won't reflect the course, unless Hull and Essex are different courses.

If you're stuck on deciding I'd take a look at the modules Hull and Essex offer.

You could look at the league tables but I don't think they'll matter. Go on which uni you prefer overall. Don't decline simply because it's lower in a league table.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest