The Student Room Group

Uniforms be made compulsory

Most schools force students to wear uniforms. They are seen as cattle and mere statistics and figures to advertise the schools. When we see students on a school trip, do we take notice of their faces or do we just see their uniforms and that school badge? :confused:

Should universities follow this tradition. Almost all universities nowadays allow students to dress casually even though in the more reputable universities you do tend to see fashionable dressses on each student. :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We've got gowns. It wasn't that long ago really (well, in the grand scheme of history) that they used to be compulsory for undergrads to wear (apparently so students could be seem frequenting brothels and alehouses...)

Anyway,people spend years moaning about school uniform, then come to uni and buy university hoodies before sending their own children to a school with a good 'ethos' and, surprise surprise, a good uniform.
What i find amusing is that for many years of school we denounce our school uniform, we come in with our own jacket on the top, we take every oppertunity not to wear it.

I walk around campus and everywhere i look i see people wearing 'University of Southampton' jumpers. Makes we wonder!
*titanium*
What i find amusing is that for many years of school we denounce our school uniform, we come in with our own jacket on the top, we take every oppertunity not to wear it.

I walk around campus and everywhere i look i see people wearing 'University of Southampton' jumpers. Makes we wonder!

Rebellion, per se, is good. Isn't that sad or what?
Reply 4
My high school always spouted the 'security' issue, that school uniforms allowed teachers to easily recognise who is a member of the school. Another reason often used to justify the use of uniforms was that poorer kids could not afford designer clothes, thus by making them all look the same bullying could be reduced.

I've never really thought it was a good idea tbh.
Reply 5
apparently so students could be seem frequenting brothels and alehouses...

Surely they would change into casual clothes before going to those places :confused:

I don't mind uniforms really. My school was one of the few in the area that had a uniform for the 6th form. I didn't think it looked too bad actually.

But I can't see universities ever doing this really. The thinking now is that when you go to university you're an adult and as such you can wear what you like. Plus it would be a bit hypocritical if students wore uniforms then the lecturers come in wearing anti-Bush T-shirts.
Being a nursing student, I have a uniform anyway - not all the time, but near enough. So I'm not really arsed if they make other students wear uniforms or not.

Seems a bit daft though, we are after all supposed to be adult learners.

Although then again most workplaces in the 'real world' have a kind of uniform/dress code sort of thing, so maybe it's not that stupid after all.
Yeah i don't see why Universities should make their students wear uniforms.
I think it'd be stupid making university students were uniforms, I would even go as far as to say there would be a drop in students because of the amount of people that wouldn't agree with it. I have to wear smart office dress for sixth form which is bad enough, but at university I wouldn't want to and I don't know anyone else who would.
Reply 9
Carl1982
Yeah i don't see why Universities should make their students wear uniforms.

Uniforms are suppose to give the illusion of a community.
Reply 10
We have sub-fusc, the coolest uniform ever :smile:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-fusc

Unless you have to wear the horrible commoner's gown like me (urgh). I'd work to become an Exhibitioner if only to get away from that...
Reply 11
*titanium*

I think it's because when uniform is forced, we don't feel so proud to waer our uniform as it is something forced on us. Wheras to later on choose to wear a university jumper or hoody is choosing with free will to identify yourself as a part of something, in this case university, and so therefore we are happy and proud to wear it.
(Also, school uniform blazers and ties are not as nice to wear as hoodies! :p: so if university logo clothes were like compulsory school uniforms, I feel that they would be a whole lot less popular!).
Omega3Addict
Uniforms are suppose to give the illusion of a community.

Oh come on i'm a Sports Student.
Reply 13
Originally Posted by *titanium*

But you've chosen to go there and have had to work to get there - not like school where, for the majority, they are there because it's the law and they live in the catchment area.

If you feel like wearing it some days, you can; and if you don't on others, you don't have to.
Omega3Addict
Most schools force students to wear uniforms. They are seen as cattle and mere statistics and figures to advertise the schools. When we see students on a school trip, do we take notice of their faces or do we just see their uniforms and that school badge? :confused:

Should universities follow this tradition. Almost all universities nowadays allow students to dress casually even though in the more reputable universities you do tend to see fashionable dressses on each student. :p:

I wasnt aware people still took any notice of school kids. apart from for the odd quick kick to the back of the shins on the way off the bus :biggrin:
wilbur
We have sub-fusc, the coolest uniform ever :smile:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-fusc

Unless you have to wear the horrible commoner's gown like me (urgh). I'd work to become an Exhibitioner if only to get away from that...

what's wrong with commoners gown?
Reply 16
*titanium*

:redface: I just bought one.

But I never complained about my school uniform :p:

And I only intend to wear it when I'm not in Soton, lol :biggrin: Just to show off, you know!
Reply 17
F1 fanatic
what's wrong with commoners gown?

It's rubbish. It's like wearing a bit of old sail-cloth. The two streamers get caught in doors all the time, and the lack of proper sleaves means it always slips off your shoulders, making it look shapeless and wierd. The Batgown is much better :p:
wilbur
It's rubbish. It's like wearing a bit of old sail-cloth. The two streamers get caught in doors all the time, and the lack of proper sleaves means it always slips off your shoudlers, making it look shapeless and wierd. The Batgown is much better :p:

The bat gown is a pain to eat in, tbh... you get gravy all down the sleeves if you aren't careful. I can kinda see where you're coming from with falling off the shoulders, but I don't think it was ever intended as a fashion statement.
Talya
:redface: I just bought one.

But I never complained about my school uniform :p:

And I only intend to wear it when I'm not in Soton, lol :biggrin: Just to show off, you know!

I'm the opposite. I have a hoody, but only wear it at uni. I'm worried I'd get knifed if I wore it back home! :p: :s:

Latest

Trending

Trending