The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS level?

I'm really struggling with 4 AS levels and I really want to drop German. I've been finding it hard for a while and I've recently been given back my mock result which was a U. I feel like doing German is meaning that I'm not doing as well in my 3 other AS levels. I spoke to a tutor today and he said that dropping an AS level, and only having three would mean that I'd reduce my chances of getting into university. He said most uni's would not consider me if I only had three AS levels but I feel like I'm going to fail German anyway in the summer. I don't know what to do any advice?
That's definitely not true, most people at my sixth form did 3 AS levels and have had no trouble getting university offers, even from Russel Group universities. The most prestigious universities will be unlikely to accept you though, and the same goes for certain courses such as medicine. But to be honest with languages A-level you either really go for it or you do badly, so if it's the subject you're giving least priority and attention to then it may well make sense to drop it, especially if you would drop it at the end of year 12 anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by uncommonsensing
That's definitely not true, most people at my sixth form did 3 AS levels and have had no trouble getting university offers, even from Russel Group universities. The most prestigious universities will be unlikely to accept you though, and the same goes for certain courses such as medicine. But to be honest with languages A-level you either really go for it or you do badly, so if it's the subject you're giving least priority and attention to then it may well make sense to drop it, especially if you would drop it at the end of year 12 anyway.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to really consider it.
If you dropped an AS level now, could you pick up another next year whilst you do your A2? That way you'd still end up with 3 A Levels and 4 AS Levels at the end of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by boods8897
If you dropped an AS level now, could you pick up another next year whilst you do your A2? That way you'd still end up with 3 A Levels and 4 AS Levels at the end of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, but wouldn't that be just as hard as doing 4 AS levels?
Original post by Ellah857
Thanks, but wouldn't that be just as hard as doing 4 AS levels?

Ah sorry I misunderstood your first post - thought was just German, rather than doing 4 AS that you didn't like. Ignore me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest