The Student Room Group

Returning Mature Student (Distance Learning) Personal Statement Help Please..

Hi all, I'm really struggling with a personal statement for the Graphic design distance learning course I'm applying for.

Here's the story:

I'm 26 and have been working part time at a supermarket for over 6 years now after finishing college. I did a Art and design national diploma in college and then applied to do a graphic design and illustration degree at the same institute, which I got accepted for at the time. Due to personal circumstances (Break up with my ex who I was living with at his mum's house) I ended up having to move back home. My parents had recently moved away from where I was studying and I ended up not doing the course as it was too far away and I was too distressed at the time to apply elsewhere. I ended up going on to jobseekers for a while and then eventually got myself a job in a supermarket which brings me to where I am now.

I feel like I've left behind something that I really should have done to open up more opportunities for myself.

I feel this is the best time to get back to studying for that degree whilst I am part time so I'll have the spare time to study. The part time work is not enough to support myself in creating my own independent life away from home nor does it have any way to use my own creative passion and skills. I feel that doing this course would enable me to learn new skills that will benefit me in changing my career path, to challenge and better myself, as well as enjoy what I do for a living.

During the time I have been in part time employment, I have tried to keep my creative juices flowing by locally advertising myself as a animal portrait artist. I've also help the local primary school in creating drawings and designs that the children can colour or collage for their displays.

I feel I'm quite confident in using computers and have a little experience in using Photoshop elements to edit some of my traditional artworks and also occasionally to create banners, avatars and my own personal artwork and designs.

My interests include drawing and being creative using traditional and digital medias, photography(amateur -I just enjoy taking photos), cooking and motorbikes.

If anyone can help to give me any sort of structure to this ton of waffle and guidance on how to word things, how to start my statement, what I should leave in or take out etc.. I'd be very grateful for the tips!

The email I got sent said I need to send it and all other documents including my CV(I dont have one yet either) within 5 days for it to be treated as a priority. eeek.

Thanks

x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BikerBex
Hi all, I'm really struggling with a personal statement for the Graphic design distance learning course I'm applying for.

Here's the story:

I'm 26 and have been working part time at a supermarket for over 6 years now after finishing college. I did a Art and design national diploma in college and then applied to do a graphic design and illustration degree at the same institute, which I got accepted for at the time. Due to personal circumstances (Break up with my ex who I was living with at his mum's house) I ended up having to move back home. My parents had recently moved away from where I was studying and I ended up not doing the course as it was too far away and I was too distressed at the time to apply elsewhere. I ended up going on to jobseekers for a while and then eventually got myself a job in a supermarket which brings me to where I am now.

I feel like I've left behind something that I really should have done to open up more opportunities for myself.

I feel this is the best time to get back to studying for that degree whilst I am part time so I'll have the spare time to study. The part time work is not enough to support myself in creating my own independent life away from home nor does it have any way to use my own creative passion and skills. I feel that doing this course would enable me to learn new skills that will benefit me in changing my career path, to challenge and better myself, as well as enjoy what I do for a living.

During the time I have been in part time employment, I have tried to keep my creative juices flowing by locally advertising myself as a animal portrait artist. I've also help the local primary school in creating drawings and designs that the children can colour or collage for their displays.

I feel I'm quite confident in using computers and have a little experience in using Photoshop elements to edit some of my traditional artworks and also occasionally to create banners, avatars and my own personal artwork and designs.

My interests include drawing and being creative using traditional and digital medias, photography(amateur -I just enjoy taking photos), cooking and motorbikes.

If anyone can help to give me any sort of structure to this ton of waffle and guidance on how to word things, how to start my statement, what I should leave in or take out etc.. I'd be very grateful for the tips!

The email I got sent said I need to send it and all other documents including my CV(I dont have one yet either) within 5 days for it to be treated as a priority. eeek.

Thanks

x

Hi there,

I'm no personal statement expert but I've gotten unconditional offers to all my MA programs. Not sure how much that differs from your program but this is the "template" I used:

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/careersandemployability/pdfs/pgstudy/pg_application_personal_statement_example.pdf

I wouldn't mind sending you a draft of one of my statements. It's really about why you want to study there, and what you have to offer/how they can contribute to the skills you've acquired. So I'd definitely talk about your freelance work and how that's developed.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I am pretty Dope at CV's though. Could probably be more help with that bit.
Reply 2
Heya, Thanks so much for the reply! :smile:

The link you sent for the example seems nice and basic/generic so what I think I might do is practically copy it and fill in the blanks to get a rough idea of what I need to write and where, and then see if I can spruce it up a bit by rearranging sentence structures and trying to put them across in a better way.. I can only but try.

It seems like forever ago since I was in college with tutors helping us with this sort of thing and I cant remember much of the advice.

Your help on the CV would also be very useful! I'm currently using an online template CV maker thing just just get the basics down to see how it should look. If I'm able to send you that when I'm done soon maybe you could take a look at it and give me any advice if anything needs changing?

I've only ever done one CV for when I applied for Tesco, it was practically written out for me by the jobcentre and was just plain and simple.
There's the PS builder tool in my signature as well that would guide you through the process :smile:

But don't send your PS to anyone over the internet - you don't know what they can do with it afterwards
Please be careful about using a template. Make sure you rewrite things so that your statement doesn't get picked up for plagiarism. Please do not send things to people you don't know on the internet! Have a look at our PS builder for ideas.
No online antiplagarism software has access to other used personal statements, which UCAS will also check your statement against- as such you shouldn't rely on these at all. If you don't make enough changes, you may differ from the template, but not other people using the same template who have made similar small changes.
Reply 6
Heya all, Just thought I'd give a little update.

My tutor told me I didn't need to send a cv in as I was able to scan in my certificates, so at least I have a up to current date cv that I've made and Shybrown has very kindly given me tips on that I can take through and edit in future :smile:

The personal statement thing was driving me crazy as I felt so stuck on what to put. When my admission tutor spoke to me, I said I was struggling and she said just write why you love art, basically.

She wanted me to submit it the day she called ideally so she could send it off quickly to apply to start before April, so I rushed to do it, wrote down everything out of my own head, anything I could think of. Basically just started off with why I wanted to do the course, a bit about me and my artwork and finished with thinking about the future.

Thankfully, she got back to me today saying my application was accepted and I'm now ready to be enrolled and start the course!! :smile:

I have had to send off my birth cert to Student finance as I dont have a passport so thats all needing to be sorted still and I've got a limited time for them to sort my finance out to pay for it whilst I begin on the course, so hope they get it done asap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending