The Student Room Group

Stay at Sixth Form or go to College?

Hi:smile: I'm in year 12 and I've just found out my mock grades - they're not good. I've failed them all and I revised for ages and did past exam questions. I know it's only the first part of sixth form but I haven't enjoyed it, I'm having a lot of problems with my friends, there's still so much more to learn for summer exams and my motivation levels have just dropped. I'm awful at exams as it is, I want to move away from the school I've been at for 6 years and meet some new people and become more confident. I only went to sixth form because I was talked into it by my teachers and parents because it was the best place for me and the 'safest' option, I've been around the same people for ages and my life seems to be fairly repetitive. I know that education is important but so is going out and developing new social skills. I want to do midwifery or child nursing and I'm currently studying psychology, biology, RS and health&social. I'm doing some work experience on a midwifery ward in July and further voluntary work. Should I apply to college for Health&Social and go if I don't do well in AS? The last thing I want to do is resit a year of A levels. I hate it. Life is so boring right now and I know that going to college won't necessarily give me the most incredible social life, but I want to be doing something i'll enjoy and have the chance to make new friends. I just really don't want to make the wrong decision. My mom says that I should do something better than health and social care because she thinks thickos study it, but I know that's not exactly true. Please can I have some advice and thank-you so much!
Hi, I am currently in my last year of college studying Alevels, my school never had a sixth form when I first left but before my 2nd year of college they gave the option of going back. I chose to stay at college as it makes you more independent and enjoy the lessons. Are you enjoying the courses your taking at the moment?
Because this could be the reason for you wanting to leave, maybe ask for help to try to improve your grades.
If this is still not the case and you don't do well in your AS then follow your gut, if you think that Health and social is a better option for you then go for it. It is not for thickos, I know people who take that , and any work is positive. Remember that its your life no one elses do what you want.
Hope this helps is you need any more advice message me back.
I had a horrible Year 12. Failed some of the mocks and scraped on my most I important subject but passed three out of four AS.
hated the sixth form, the people, the teacher and moving to college was the best thing I ever did. I just regret waiting the whole year to do so but I'm enjoying college and the course I'm doing.

You don't have to Health and Social, you could do something else, the whole sixth form environment might not be for you.

At at the end of the day, you're the one who's going to school every day, not your mum.
My mum still to this day says that I should have stayed in sixth form but I'm still doing respectable a levels and getting the grades I know I am capable of getting.

so, yeah, it's up to you, best of luck.
Reply 3
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
Hi:smile: I'm in year 12 and I've just found out my mock grades - they're not good. I've failed them all and I revised for ages and did past exam questions. I know it's only the first part of sixth form but I haven't enjoyed it, I'm having a lot of problems with my friends, there's still so much more to learn for summer exams and my motivation levels have just dropped. I'm awful at exams as it is, I want to move away from the school I've been at for 6 years and meet some new people and become more confident. I only went to sixth form because I was talked into it by my teachers and parents because it was the best place for me and the 'safest' option, I've been around the same people for ages and my life seems to be fairly repetitive. I know that education is important but so is going out and developing new social skills. I want to do midwifery or child nursing and I'm currently studying psychology, biology, RS and health&social. I'm doing some work experience on a midwifery ward in July and further voluntary work. Should I apply to college for Health&Social and go if I don't do well in AS? The last thing I want to do is resit a year of A levels. I hate it. Life is so boring right now and I know that going to college won't necessarily give me the most incredible social life, but I want to be doing something i'll enjoy and have the chance to make new friends. I just really don't want to make the wrong decision. My mom says that I should do something better than health and social care because she thinks thickos study it, but I know that's not exactly true. Please can I have some advice and thank-you so much!

I'm in the same situation as you currently but I am in year 13. My life is just like the same thing on a different day. I see the same teachers, students etc but there's no point in me moving now because I've already applied to uni and there's only 4 months left so it would be difficult for me to make new friends etc. But if I was feeling like this last year then yes I would move to college or another sixth form because it isn't too late. Dont worry what your mum said. My mum kept pestering me to do science subjects and become a doctor but that's not me and it's not my mums life it's mine so do what you want to do. I recently applied to uni to study business management. Your mum will become more accepting when she sees this is what you want to do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending