The Student Room Group

University has just got complicated for me its stressing me out

Hi, So I am currently studying at Nottingham trent Uni, I've had a huge family problem back home concerning my Mum which has resulted in my Course administrator to advise me to come back next year due to missed coursework and poor attendance.

I have evidence of my issue although my administrator for the course has advised me to come back to re-sit the course again.

Although the biggest problem I face is is the wastage and lack of finance in order to be able to pay for my last installment for my 'private accommodation which is 1,200 :s-smilie:

As I don't want to be left with £1200 in debt as it is already depressing as it is knowing that I have to resit. I am aware of the problems that could occur and relate into more debt, although I really don't want to re-sit.

Question that I need advise on:

Will I still get my up-coming Student finance, in order to pay for my room even if I decide to resit?

May I get it if I don't inform them, should I give the Uni my final answer, should I not?

What happens if I have REAL proof of my circumstance, but have missed many seminars/lec and a few pieces of summative work can I catch up?

Will I still get my bursary, that is coming this month?

Can the University decide what I have to do?

I have researched my problems elsewhere, although still things are unclear to me, also please give me some advise as I am completely stressed out and I'm not good as this part of Uni :C
Original post by Deon1995
Hi, So I am currently studying at Nottingham trent Uni, I've had a huge family problem back home concerning my Mum which has resulted in my Course administrator to advise me to come back next year due to missed coursework and poor attendance.

I have evidence of my issue although my administrator for the course has advised me to come back to re-sit the course again.

Although the biggest problem I face is is the wastage and lack of finance in order to be able to pay for my last installment for my 'private accommodation which is 1,200 :s-smilie:

As I don't want to be left with £1200 in debt as it is already depressing as it is knowing that I have to resit. I am aware of the problems that could occur and relate into more debt, although I really don't want to re-sit.

Question that I need advise on:

Will I still get my up-coming Student finance, in order to pay for my room even if I decide to resit?

May I get it if I don't inform them, should I give the Uni my final answer, should I not?

What happens if I have REAL proof of my circumstance, but have missed many seminars/lec and a few pieces of summative work can I catch up?

I have researched my problems elsewhere, although still things are unclear to me, also please give me some advise as I am completely stressed out and I'm not good as this part of Uni :C

I don't have a student loan or any scholarships so I'm not sure how that side of things works.

However, are *you* sure that redoing the course would be the best thing for you? Do you think you would be able to put in some extra effort to catch up with what you have missed. I was very unwell last term just after starting uni and missed a lot of lectures, although I have handed in all my coursework because I managed to do it at home. Suspending my studies was a consideration at one point, but I thought I'd find it really difficult to get back into things if I left. So I just put in 110% once I was better and so far have managed to keep up.

However, you haven't said what your family problem is so you need to consider if it will continue to affect how you are doing at uni. From what you have said, it sounds like your uni is leaving it to you to make the final decision. If you think you can cope with it, I would think about keeping going with it. Obviously this would also mean funding/accommodation would carry on without any problems. But at the end of the day, your uni are there to help you do the best you can so talk to them about everything that is bothering you and everything will work out okay in the end :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Deon1995

No. If you leave before the end of the academic year, your student funding will stop on the day you leave. There are other implications. For example SF may require you to repay all of the year's Maintenance Loans and Grants immediately, if you don't complete the year. Make sure you have access to proof of your problems from a reputable third party, such as a GP or counsellor. You may be able to appeal.

The uni will inform SF that you've left, even if you don't. There's no way you can leave the course early this year without SF finding out.

It's up to your uni. You need to complete the coursework in order to pass the degree and no amount of extenuating circumstances will make up for not having done it at all. If you've missed a lot then it probably isn't realistic to think that you can catch up before the end of the academic year. This appears to be the decision that the uni has reached.

If you leave before it's due, then no. If you leave after you get it, then the uni will expect it to be repaid. If you leave before the end of the year, you may be expected to repay the bursary you've already had - check your uni's terms & conditions.

Yes. They can require you to leave now and retake your first year from next September. If you aren't willing to do that, they can completely withdraw you from the course.

See your Student Union. They should know their way round the uni regulations and processes, and can advise on the best way to put your case to the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending