The Student Room Group

Costs of learning driving

Hi all,

I'm an international student who most likely is going to be studying in the UK this year. I'm thinking about learning driving in the UK.

How much do lessons usually cost? How many lessons do you need before you can take the practical test? What about the theory test? (And are there standard prices throughout the UK?)
Reply 1
How much do lessons usually cost?
They range between different instructors, typically from £20 to £24 an hour, most instructors also do discounts for block booking hours in advance.

How many lessons do you need before you take the practical test?
There's no legal minimum requirement, you can just book your test when your instructor thinks you're ready.

What about the theory test?
The theory test is £25 and the price is standard across the UK as you can book it online here: https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test
Reply 2
I spent around £800-900 on driving lessons. I took 34 lessons I think. The number of lessons needed varies from one person to the next.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by verityvirtue
Hi all,

I'm an international student who most likely is going to be studying in the UK this year. I'm thinking about learning driving in the UK.

How much do lessons usually cost? How many lessons do you need before you can take the practical test? What about the theory test? (And are there standard prices throughout the UK?)

Most independent instructors up here (North West) charge £20 per hour - you can get small discounts for block booking (mine was only a 5% discount). National driving schools - such as AA - usually charge in the region of £25 per hour. Go for an independent, if you find a decent one then you'll pass in no time (and you'll save a lot of money).

You can take the practical test whenever. The DSA recommend that your have 45 hours of tuition - but thats just a guideline, you can take the test whenever. Generally, the younger you are the fewer lessons you'll need to pass - the rudimentary formula is AGE x 1.5 = hours of tuition. Obviously its a rule of thumb - I'm 20 and passed with 22 hours - but you get the idea.

As has been said, the theory is £25. You can take the theory test whenever you like (as long as its before your practical) and it's valid for two years - it's best to get it out of the way as soon as you can: waiting times for the practical are usually 6-8 weeks so get the theory out of the way so not to delay things any further.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Burridge
Most independent instructors up here (North West) charge £20 per hour - you can get small discounts for block booking (mine was only a 5% discount). National driving schools - such as AA - usually charge in the region of £25 per hour. Go for an independent, if you find a decent one then you'll pass in no time (and you'll save a lot of money).

You can take the practical test whenever. The DSA recommend that your have 45 hours of tuition - but thats just a guideline, you can take the test whenever. Generally, the younger you are the fewer lessons you'll need to pass - the rudimentary formula is AGE x 1.5 = hours of tuition. Obviously its a rule of thumb - I'm 20 and passed with 22 hours - but you get the idea.

As has been said, the theory is £25. You can take the theory test whenever you like (as long as its before your practical) and it's valid for two years - it's best to get it out of the way as soon as you can: waiting times for the practical are usually 6-8 weeks so get the theory out of the way so not to delay things any further.

Good luck :smile:

Comprehensive answer but can I just be a little pedantic...the DSA don't recommend 45 hours. The DVSA say that the average (from the last research done a while ago) number of lessons is c.45 plus 20 hours private practice. You may do it in more or less. (You wouldn't really expect a government department to make a recommendation would you? :wink: )
Reply 5
I'll have to revive this thread... does anyone have recommendations where one can learn driving in inner London? What does the theory test cover? Is there a driving circuit (i.e. crank courses, S-courses, slopes and other fiddly bits)?

(and is this applicable for international students - non-UK citizens, that is- too?)
Original post by verityvirtue
I'll have to revive this thread...

Does anyone have recommendations where one can learn driving in inner London? What does the theory test cover?

Is there a driving circuit (i.e. crank courses, S-courses, slopes and other fiddly bits)?

Does anyone have recommendations where one can learn driving in inner London?
Can't answer this due to being from Scotland.

What does the theory test cover?
Google is your friend,

Is there a driving circuit (i.e. crank courses, S-courses, slopes and other fiddly bits?
Not on any driving tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending