The Student Room Group

Can I get into Uni to do Dental hygiene and therapy?

Hi everyone :smile:

Basically, I'll be doing a Dental Nurse Apprenticeship, I'm just wondering after completing will I be able to go to Uni? The qualifications, I'll achieve are,

Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing

Level 3 Employment Rights and Responsibilities and L2 functional skills in Maths and English (if required)

My sister is doing something similar, But for Nursing, And she said she'll be able to go to Uni after her L3.

Any advice would be great thank you :smile:
Original post by Pinkeyjeniix
Hi everyone :smile:

Basically, I'll be doing a Dental Nurse Apprenticeship, I'm just wondering after completing will I be able to go to Uni? The qualifications, I'll achieve are,

Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing

Level 3 Employment Rights and Responsibilities and L2 functional skills in Maths and English (if required)

My sister is doing something similar, But for Nursing, And she said she'll be able to go to Uni after her L3.

Any advice would be great thank you :smile:

Good morning,

To go to University you need to meet the entry requirements for the course. These vary between the different Universities and where you want to go. Some will accept a dental nursing qualification, others will only accept A levels or an Access Diploma. Some want both! My advice is to see where you want to apply to and check with them directly. If you don't have GCSE's then you will definitely need to the Maths and English - but the Employment Rights one won't be counted.

If you find a couple of places then I am happy to check and help you out :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AndreaBCD
Good morning,

To go to University you need to meet the entry requirements for the course. These vary between the different Universities and where you want to go. Some will accept a dental nursing qualification, others will only accept A levels or an Access Diploma. Some want both! My advice is to see where you want to apply to and check with them directly. If you don't have GCSE's then you will definitely need to the Maths and English - but the Employment Rights one won't be counted.

If you find a couple of places then I am happy to check and help you out :smile:

Okay thank you very much, Most places are just asking for A Levels, And something else I would like to go is Orthodontic Therapy. Here is the entry requirements

[h="4"]ENTRY AND ADMISSIONS[/h][h="5"]AWARD TYPE:[/h]CertHE
[h="5"]LEVEL:[/h]Undergraduate
[h="5"]STUDY MODE:[/h]Part time
[h="5"]DELIVERY METHOD:[/h]Campus
[h="5"]COURSE LENGTH:[/h]One year
[h="5"]PARTNER COLLEGES:[/h]No Partner College
[h="5"]CAMPUS:[/h]Preston
[h="5"]START DATE:[/h]July 2013

[h="5"]ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:[/h]

GCSE English, Mathematics and Science at Grade C or above, or equivalent

NVQ Level 3 in Oral Healthcare, or equivalent

Current employment as a dental nurse, dental hygienist, dental therapist or dental technician, and being on the statutory register

At least one year full-time post-qualification experience or equivalent.

Suitable candidates will be selected after interview with the Course Leader. The Clinical Mentors (Trainers) will be required to meet Course Representatives to discuss their responsibilities and mentoring expectations unless they have acted as Clinical Mentor previously.

I don't have the Grade C maths, At the age of 20 do you think I could re-do my Maths Gcse? Or am I too old?

This is for the 2013 entry - so it is worth checking that this has not changed. But it does look promising.

They may accept some alternatives, however the best thing would be to redo the GCSE. You are not too old and somewhere like hotcourses would be able to point you in the right direction.

Quick Reply

Latest